Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Crashing, tried everything!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 captaincorgi

captaincorgi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hello!

For the past few months, I've been having some nasty display driver issues. It first started with my EVGA GTX 970 SSC.  For a few months it was working great, but every once in a while I'd get a full on crash with a random, solid colored screen and I'd be forced to hard reset. I've tried new drivers, old drivers, still bleh, so I chalked it up to a faulty card and grabbed an XFX R9 390 from Best Buy. Got home, popped it in, removed the old drivers, installed the new ones...still getting the problem! I'm not getting the ol' colorful screen anymore, but a black screen, followed by a notification telling me "amdkmdap has stopped working and has succesfully recovered". Again, tried updating drivers, all that good stuff...still nada.

I ran through a checklist of what could possibly be wrong. So far, I've:

-Swapped my PSU out for my old one (new one is an 800W Corsair, old one is a 650W Corsair...as far as I know, it SHOULD be adequate.)

-Grabbed a new Motherboard. Went from a Gigabyte GA-Z68-D3H to a Gigabyte B75M-D3H

-Swapped out my RAM for new modules

-Reinstalled Windows 7 several times, wiped both HDs clean, upgraded to Windows 10

-Tried another monitor connected via DVI as opposed to HDMI

-Swapped my i7 out for my old i5

-Tried with and without MSI Afterburner

-Removed AVG free, as it seems pretty bloated and shady ever since they updated it recently, in favor of Avast

-Tweaked the registry a bit to bump the TDR time out up a little bit

I've tried all these, and I still get the same ol' TDR black screen, amdkmdap, event viewer ID 4101 woes!

I read some stuff online recently about the R9 300 series having TDR issues with DX11 games (which, oddly enough, is the only thing that really crashes for me...I've crashed in GTAV, Heavensward with the DX11 client.. Watch Dogs, Dungeon Defenders 2, among a few others....all have DX11 in common), so I thought AMD just put out some bad drivers and swapped in my 970 once again, with the latest current Win 10 drivers. All seemed well for a bit, but boom...had yet another crash! This time simmilar to my R9: Black screen, game crashes, "Nvlddmkm has stopped working and has succesfully recovered", same event viewer ID and all

So, as you can see, I've tried nearly everything and I'm about to punt this thing out of the window. I can confirm it isn't heat as well, since both cards and my CPU run at decent temps. It would be awesome if someone could give some input on this! :3

Here's my dxdiag info: http://pastebin.com/wseVQPXv

Thank you!

Edited by captaincorgi, 02 August 2015 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 captaincorgi

captaincorgi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

Still crashing..could it be AMD putting out bad drivers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users