Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Link Options ~ Need Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hello :-)

I'm struggling to figure out how to turn a URL address link into a clickable "word"

Example:  in a post I would use the link button in the tool bar and get this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/

I have noticed in threads instead of the entire URL address link I see (example) Microsoft

If I click on just the word, it takes me to the URL address.

I hope I make sense and would be so happy for someone to teach me how to do this! Thank you!

softeyes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

This is the code to use:

Microsoft

[url=http://www.microsoft.com]Microsoft[/url]

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

I don't know if there is a way to do it with the RTE(Rich Text Editor) I never use it. I always hand type all my BBCode.

Lets use your example of Microsoft.

The way to make it a clickable word is as follows with BBCode:

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/]Microsoft[/url]
So what you're saying codewise is: The URL is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ but I want that URL to be represented with the word Microsoft. Then you have the closing BBCode represented by the / tag

Each segment of the code is represented by opening->[ and closing->] brackets such as this example[identifier and command]

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

@Animal! Muchas Gracias

Yay!  I learned something new..I really appreciate your instruction.

(Erm..now I can say I learned code HaHaHa!)

Self edit to add:

@Budapest ~ thanks to you as well!  I totally skipped over your post! 

@ xXToffeeXx below..thanks too..I have not tried RTE..however will do! (do you give out toffee for a job well done!)

Edited by softeyes, 02 August 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

I don't know if there is a way to do it with the RTE(Rich Text Editor) I never use it. I always hand type all my BBCode.

There is a way to do it in the RTE :)

For those who may want to know:
Write out the text you want to represent the URL, highlight the text with your cursor and then click this little icon: 0d4ec1179dbffefb589a7ac74fae99a0.png. Enter the URL into the URL field and press OK.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

You're quite welcome softeyes. Thank you to Budapest, and xXToffeeXx, for their additions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users