Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Seagate Backup Plus 3.0 2TB not turning on. HELP!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Erin148

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

The other day we had a massive storm that came out of nowhere.  At the time of the storm my computer was unfortunately still switched on and my external Seagate 3.0 was also on and plugged in.  Before the storm, it worked perfectly fine and I only used it as a extra storage since my pc does not have massive internal HDs.  Before I could safely shut down and unplug we had a big crack of lightning and lost electricity for a moment.  After the storm passed, I tried to turn on my PC but nothing worked.  I took my PC in for repairs and it turns out my motherboard had blown (it was extremely old and I think the storm helped it pass on to the next place).  I had to replace it and got new parts that worked with the new motherboard (my previous parts would not be compatible with the new MB).  Now today I try to plug in the Seagate ext HD and it won't turn on.  The light does not come on and the computer does not detect it.  I tried it in my boyfriend's computer and same thing - nada.  I tried it in several power points in the house as well as several USB ports that I know work because other devices work while plugged in.

The Seagate is less than a year old and was only about 30% full.  Is it possible that the storm has fried it too? Possible I can fix it?!

Any info would be smashing :) as I don't have anyone else to help me (recently moved country and have yet to make connections).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

It definitely seems as though your Seagate drive (since it was connected to the computer that fried) may also have fried.  You should contact Seagate to see if it is still under any warranty though many manufacturer's do not cover ' acts of god ' ie. Lightening damage.

#3 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,009 posts
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

I agree with YeahBleeping. If the drive is still under warranty then call Seagate. If not and the data on the drive is critical look to a professional data recovery service which can be expensive. If that is not possible the drive could be good and the USB bridge card damaged but it would depend on the model of Seagate. If the bridge card is integrated with the drive's PCB then you cannot do the following.

Remove the drive from the enclosure and detach it from the separate bridge card. Place the drive in an USB enclosure or or use a USB adapter. See if the drive is detected.

See this video. Starting at 2:30 you can see the bridge card being removed from the drive.

Edit: If the drive is 3.5" then you would need a power adapter included with any USB adapter such as this one. Is this a desktop or portable backup drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 August 2015 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users