Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swap HD in OEM Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hello.

Trying to remedy a dead HP Desktop.

The OS is Windows 8.1 but I don't think that matters here because my question is more hardware related and I guess I'm wondering what would happen/happens if when you swap out a new hard drive for a dead one an OEM desktop.

Here are the particulars - my friend bought it for her small business almost 2 years ago. I never saw / worked on the machine when it was running, so any description I offer as to what happened comes second hand.

It is a HP Pavilion p7-1410 running Windows 8.1

My friend said she bought it from the Clearance Table at Office Max and ever since she had it, she was not able to activate Windows.

Her other computer friend told her "it wasn't a big deal" and that she should "turn off all the Windows Updates", which she did several months back.   :mellow:

About a week ago, one of her kids was playing a game on it when it just shut down and when they turned it back on, it just hangs up at the HP Welcome screen.

I popped the hood and the unit has power. Both fans come on but I can't feel anything when I touched the hard drive. I pulled the cables to the hard drive and plugged them back in, hoping for the easy fix, but no joy, after I rebooted, it was back to the HP Welcome screen.

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda and has a Born On Date of Aug. 2012.

I've never tried this before, and everything I googled about it seemed to indicate it probably won't work, but what the heck, I thought, at least ask the question.

If I purchase a new HDD, plug it into this machine....what happens? I know there's no OS on the new drive so when I plug it in and turn it on...will it work?

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

If the hdd is toast call HP and request that they send you the installation disc for your version of Windows 8.1 and the driver installation disc.  

Once you have those discs you will need the product code to install the operating system.  Windows 8/8.1 require that you enter the product code at the beginning of the installation.  As I understand it, the installation will recognize your product code while in the process of the installation.

Do you need a tutorial to make the installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

dc3  - greetings and thanks for the quick response.

As you might suspect, I've got a few questions:

1) I'm guessing HP will charge me a fee for that/those installation disc(s), yes?  Money is not an issue, just gathering information.

2) The product code - if the HDD is dead, how do I go about getting that from this particular machine?

3) Do I need to buy a HDD with the exact same specs as the one I'm pulling? I'm not uncomfortable pulling the HDD and/or replacing it, I just haven't done it before. I mean, I've pulled a few dead ones to get the pics and files off of them but have done so knowing that I wasn't putting the HDD back in.

At this point, I don't think I'll need a tutorial, although I'm thankful for your offer.

I seem to recall reading in one of your posts that you had some wildfires burning rather close to your house - here's hoping that all that has all come to pass and that everyone is safe.

I was in Santa Fe when Los Alamos caught fire (Cerro Grande Fire) and it was the oddest natural disaster I've ever experienced.

Thanks again for the quick info.

Winterland

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

1.  Some manufacturers will charge you for the discs, and some don't.  If they do charge you for the discs it usually a small fee.

2.  I got side tracked when I posted regarding the product code.  If you are installing the same version of Windows that was originally installed the product code should be recognized in the process of the installation.  The product code is embedded in the BIOS now.  But you should be able to find it on the hdd if you connect it via a usb port on another computer.  

Once you have the installation disc there are a couple of things we can do to try to repair the operating, if the hdd hasn't failed.  At this point I'm not completely convinced that it has failed.  If you open the side panel you can access the hdd.  Please do this and find out who the manufacturer is.  Obviously you want to do this with the computer shut down, I would go so far as to unplug the power cord from the wall receptacle.  Before you touch anything inside the case touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity in you system.  Once I know who the manufacturer is I will find their diagnostic tool to determine the health of the hdd.  The manufacturer usually will have a couple of diagnostic tools, one of these is a ISO file which can be used to create a bootable diagnostic disc which you boot the computer from.

3.  As for a replacement hdd.  This computer came with a 1.5TB SATA hdd which is rated at 7200 rpm.  You will want to stay with a SATA interface, but other than that you can use any manufacturer as long as it is a ATX form factor, this is an industry standard.

The Lowel fire is 12 miles away from us and has burned 2,303 acres.  It is now 85% contained and is expect to be 100% contained by August 10th.  This fire is in a canyon which makes it almost impossible to get boots on the ground.  This fire has been fought by air craft for the most part.    At the moment there are 20 wildfires burning in California.  We are in our fourth year of drought which has left us parched.  Here are a couple pictures of aircraft dropping retardant on the Lowel fire.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Edit:  I should add that these planes were flying directly over our house.  It was quite an awesome sight seeing these flying so low you could see the pilots.

Attached Files

Edited by dc3, 03 August 2015 - 08:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

Rather than try to explain to you what I'm seeing I thought I'd try posting this first.

HDD.jpg

Does that contain the info you need? It's one of a few shots I took when I first went over there.

I'm bringing the tower home tomorrow and will call HP Thursday morning - my next real window to call someone during business hours.

Those aircraft shots are amazing.

I think it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been in that situation what type of sounds you hear and what the air quality is like when all that burning is taking place. It's surreal.

Glad to hear that it's almost contained.

Winterland

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

The windows product key is also usually found on the computer's COA label normally stuck somewhere on the outside of the case.  You will also need this information when ordering your disks as they (HP) will require you to give them the serial number for the computer which is usually on the same label or near it.  Also if when you find it don't post your product key on the web.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 04 August 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

The windows product key is also usually found on the computer's COA label normally stuck somewhere on the outside of the case.  You will also need this information when ordering your disks as they (HP) will require you to give them the serial number for the computer which is usually on the same label or near it.  Also if when you find it don't post your product key on the web.

This is Windows 8.1.  In this operating system the product code is embedded in the BIOS.  It is not listed in the product information sticker. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

Winterland

Because the product code is embedded in the BIOS I would be very surprised if HP requests this.  The product information sticker is on the removable panel in the upper right corner.  This will have the serial number, if they request it.

Seagate has a diagnostic tool which after it is downloaded will be burned to a disc to create a bootable disc.  This will tell us if there is a problem with the hdd.  It also will let us know if there is a hardware problem.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hey there YeahBleeping, I have that info and yes, I thought about that - not posting my product key - when I posted the pic of the HDD, but it's always nice to be reminded of some good practices, so thanks.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which be used to run the diagnostic tests.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

>>  Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.   <<

dc3, good morning and thanks for the link. Downloaded and burned the .ISO (although I did use ImgBurn, since that's what I'm used to when I'm burning all my Linux discs) and the next step is to call HP and see how long it will take to get those discs to the house.

When you wrote, "Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic."  how and where will these test results present them selves, esp. if the computer is not working correctly/running?

If it generates a small text file, will I need to write that all down? Or will it be a series of (error) codes or will I need to take a picture with the old trusty cell phone?

Thanks again for your help with all this.

Winterland

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

If you don't care about the HP software bloat on the HP disks then download the WIndows 8.1 media here. Burn the iso file and install. When you are online the key in firmware will be picked up and automatically activated.

You can also pull the key from firmware using a live linux disk but you should be able to install the media without a key. If you do need the key post back and I will give instructions on recovering it using a linux disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

The instructions I posted is a canned speech I use in cases like this.  I should have amended it to ask you to post the results of the scan.  eg, pass or fail.

#12 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

If you don't care about the HP software bloat on the HP disks then download the WIndows 8.1 media here. Burn the iso file and install. When you are online the key in firmware will be picked up and automatically activated.

You can also pull the key from firmware using a live linux disk but you should be able to install the media without a key. If you do need the key post back and I will give instructions on recovering it using a linux disk.

Hey there JohnC_21, thanks for the link and the info. I'm going to go ahead and run the SeaTool for DOS before I install anthing.

dc3 seems to think that the HDD is not dead and I'm inclined to defer to him in this situation. Let's say, optimistically, that I do go head and get a "pass" after running that test and we get that HDD back up and running, I could pull the pics / files and folders off of it and then install 8.1 with the link you provided, yes? No need to call HP for the install discs? Just gathering information.

I'm not worried about any HP bloatware (or, heck, any bloatware, lol) so a straight up clean install would be great for me and my friend.

The instructions I posted is a canned speech I use in cases like this.  I should have amended it to ask you to post the results of the scan.  eg, pass or fail.

Good to know. If I get up early enough, I will try to run that SeaTool test tomorrow morning.

#13 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

OK, well no joy on this go-round.

I put the SeaTools .ISO disc into the CD/DVD player - there's only one - and I still can't past the blue HP symbol that is on my monitor.

I can hear the CD/DVD player make a noise upon start-up but then nothing happens.

I've also restarted the machine multiple times trying any number of keys - Esc, F1, F2, F6 and the old trusty F8 and also F10 - but nothing happens. I was hoping to get some where to see and/or adjust the boot order.

Just for giggles and to check things out, I took a Puppy Linux .ISO disc, put it into the DVD drive and rebooted to see if anything would happen but nothing did.

I then took the same Puppy Linux .ISO disc, put it into my computer, rebooted and it came up & launched without any issues.

I made the SeaTools .ISO the same way I've made multiple Linux distros, so I'm pretty sure that is not the problem. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

I've got the machine on and sitting there but not sure what the next move would be.

Winterland

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

If the HP has UEFI and SecureBoot is enabled then Seatools for DOS will not boot and I also do not believe it can boot from a UEFI computer. Is there an option in UEFI to enable something called Legacy or CSM boot? Change it to Legacy and disable SecureBoot and your Seatools for DOS disk will boot unless the optical drive is bad.

On a HP with UEFI you can access the setting by quickly tapping Esc at boot then F10.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03801890#AbT2

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order and the HDD/SSD the second device.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2015 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users