Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Range Extender Causing Issues With Network Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hi Folks, 

I'm running a standard home network - just one router providing broadband access for a number of devices - laptops, tablets both android and Apple, and phones, again both android and apple. 

I recently bought a TP Link wifi range extender - not so much for the ability to extend the range, but rather for the use of the ethrenet connection.

The range extender has been set up without any issues, and the connection seems to be working fine, however, once i power it up, the various Apple products seem to lose their connection to the original home network - the ipad, ipod and iphones, while the laptops and android still seem to operate perfectly fine. 

The range extender shares all the same properties as the original network so can't seem to figure out why this might be causing an issue. 

I'm at a loss - i've no doubt its something to do with IP address or DCHP - but im a bit of a novice in this dept and would very much appreciate some advice as to what might be causing this issue.

The original router is a ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A and the range extender is a TP=Link TL-WA850RE.

Any advice you might be able to offer would be very much appreciated.

If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

You need to go into the extender and see if the DHCP server is on inside it. If you turn it off, DHCP should come from your main router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users