Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting an iPhone 4 to a laptop instead of router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

Hi Guys

I think I'm in the right place for this question. A friend of mine recently had a stroke. As yet he isn't able to survive without a minder. So until he's able, he's moved back to live with his elderly mother.

He is right handed, but since the stroke he can only use his left hand and he's also having trouble with his eyesight. So, although he has an iPhone, keeping in touch with friends and business matters has become a chore trying to do so with the phone.

I have given some thought to his dilemma and think I might have a solution for his. However, in case I'm not right I thought perhaps I should run it by you guys first.

Am I right in thinking that you can connect the iPhone to a laptop and get on line that way or is it just a figment of my imagination?

If it is possible can you tell me exactly what he needs for the connection.

ASAP Please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

Get online?  the laptop or the phone?

via tethering the phone to the laptop the laptop can get online via the phone.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

I am assuming you mean tether the iPhone to the laptop and use the laptop to get online so he can see the screen better. The answer is maybe. If his provider allows it. Some have no issue with it while others make you pay. Of course if the phone is jailbroke, then I think all bets are off. If you google 'tether iphone' you'll see how to setup the iphone to do it and how to connect a PC to it. If the options are there it should work. If he has to pay, there should be something there saying and it's normally $5 - $10 a month. Which I think sucks cause you are paying for the data, what actually uses it shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hi CaveDweller2

What happened to CaveDweller1?, don't answer that! I can see one possible scenario already from your 'HELLO'. You ran out of food and got hungry, I've got no problem with that. It could happen to anyone.

Anyway, thanx for your response. Yes I agree entirely it does suck. Having to pay extra to use the phone how it is intended, albeit through another contraption, it shouldn't make any difference to them. But of course we shouldn't be surprised everyone is always trying to find ways of taking our hard earned cash.

Actually after posting this question I had a look on YouTube. But they only showed hacks and I feel my friend has enough problems, without falling fowl of the law. Still I'll give Google a look.

Cheers Mate

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Yeah you will see some of that but the first link I clicked just showed how to get to the screen to turn on tethering. As I said if you can turn it on, then you should be fine. If you can't, there might be a screen that pops up that says you need to contact your carrier for this feature and that means you have to pay for it. I wouldn't jailbreak his phone just for this. As I said most times it's 5 - 10 bucks more a month.

And I never met the first one, I showed up, they said here put this on and it had the name on it. *shrugs*

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users