Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading to windows 10 problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dylanz Of Dylanz

Dylanz Of Dylanz

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

so i decided to download windows 10 iso(windows 10 home) via media creation tool(64-bit) on my windows 7 professional.but when installing windows 10 the option to keep personal files,apps,etc are grayed out.reason given was because you're upgrading to windows 10 from a different version of windows.so i wonder is this because windows 7 pro should be upgraded to windows 10 pro instead of windows 10 home which is causing this problem?i didnt know about this when choosing the windows 10 os so i just chose 1 that i liked.if this is so,will clicking the upgrade automatically function choose the best OS for my pc?my main concern is all personal files,apps must be kept intact.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

If you have 7 Pro you need 10 Pro. You can download the full iso here that includes both home and pro. Edit: Just a reminder. You need to run setup on the disk you burned from the iso from within Windows and not as a clean install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/media-creation-tool-fix/64a5fa3a-9444-435e-ba21-7fdf5ef7030c?auth=1

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#3 Dylanz Of Dylanz

Dylanz Of Dylanz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

ran media creation tool with upgrade option and it proceeds to download immediately without any options to choose.when it proceeds to installing the option to keep personal file,apps is still grayed out.what's the problem?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

ran media creation tool with upgrade option and it proceeds to download immediately without any options to choose.

It doesn't offer you the option to create an installation media to install Windows 10 on another computer?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Dylanz Of Dylanz

Dylanz Of Dylanz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

it did but i previously choose windows 7 home single language which is incompatible as i found out later so i proceeded to choose "upgrade my pc automatically" to let it choose the most appropriate version of os for me.i didnt know which os was downloaded when i choose the upgrade option it just brings me to the "what to keep" screen where the option to keep personal files,apps was grayed out

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

You could redownload it. I don't know by heart the name of the two folders where Windows 10 is downloaded, but once I get home, I can give you the instructions to follow.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Dylanz Of Dylanz

Dylanz Of Dylanz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:21 AM

downloaded windows 10 pro iso and it installed fine it's okay now.thanks

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

No problem Dylanz, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users