Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is the Windows 10 Product Key?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

I just did my upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after using the Insider Preview four the last 4 months or so.I know that my Windows7 key has been deactivated since I upgraded. my question is really this-If for some reason I wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10,or had to reinstall due to a hard drive failure,where would I find my Product Key for Windows 10? Or is that even possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi paul :)

You can use ProduKey if you want to grab the current product key in use on your Windows 10 installation, seems to work.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

There is also speccy:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Aura- i knew it was there somewhere.It's an invaluable piece of information in case of a hard drive failure.I know the upgrade is only good for the life of the machine,but I am assuming that means the life of the Motherboard itself,seeing that a hard drive failure could happen at anytime to anyone- so that would be a little unfair! I printed it out and saved it on a USB stick as well- BTW- i hope you got your upgrade installed and running.Mine is still a little buggy,but that is to be expected at first!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday night and it's running well so far, no issues :)

And no problem paul, you're welcome!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:35 PM

There is also speccy:

Thanks Madman- i didn't think of that! Either way It is now printed out and saved to USB stick

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -

How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Read Full Directions Here, and then wait 2 minutes for it to load fully - (only Copy / Paste the link)

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:15 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IoiYvdTUZtYsNlU7PPrmZdU     There you go--

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Why do you need a Speccy snapshot from paul...? The product key won't show in it you know?

unite_blue.png

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10.  Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer or Media Creation Tool on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

key_zpsi1mzbw6j.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

From what I have read, you do not need the Windows 10 key when doing a clean install as long as WIndows 10 was upgraded from 7/8.1. The computer's hardware ID's are stored on Microsoft's servers.

@Union Thug you beat me to it. Sorry, didn't see your post.

In previous Windows releases, when you installed an upgrade version of Windows, if you wanted to reinstall the upgrade version, you had to first reinstall the qualifying version from which you upgraded, reactivate it, then upgrade again and reactivate again.

With Windows 10, this is no longer the case. Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 and activate, you can simply create a bootable copy on DVD or USB and reinstall just Windows 10 without the need to reinstall the qualifying version and it will reactivate automatically.

Quote:

"Windows 10 handles keys differently. When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the process registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.

Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

i don't know how to post a link directly- anyway you DO get a product key with Windows 10 Aura showed me how to find it- see above post by Aura- and it also shows up in Speccy- I wrote it down -just in case---

Edited by paul88ks, 02 August 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

To post a link directly, simply copy/paste the URL in your post and IPB will convert it into an active URL.

unite_blue.png

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

I was able to do it in the link above- but when I tried to paste the link and then write something after it- my post showed up blank--??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users