Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition for Backup Image

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys, I don't have the money for a backup drive right now and wondered if I could just create a separate partition for this?  I have plenty of space for it and am aware that this won't help if I have HDD failure, but this would be a good option if I got infected or something right?

And what type of tool would be appropriate for this, Macrium, Aomei etc.  Still trying to wrap my head around all this backup stuff, Image, Bootable Backup Media etc.

It just takes to long to do this from Recovery Set or Recovery Partition and then all the updates and such. 

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

Making a separate partition on the same hard drive would not gain you any benefits with either a failing/failed or if it becomes infected. Depending on what part of the hard drive you would need to backup (assuming they are just your media,document and exe files), try using a couple of DVDs maybe or try imaging your drive instead. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

Tekken

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

Yes, can't I Image my active partitions to a new Partition and use that as a backup, why would this be any different than an external backup?  Why would this not help if I got infected?  I did not think that an infection would pass across partitions unless files were sent there for some reason.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

can't I Image my active partitions to a new Partition and use that as a backup, why would this be any different than an external backup?

That would defeat the purpose of a secure backup.

I did not think that an infection would pass across partitions unless files were sent there for some reason.

Maybe yes, maybe no... but the concern of infection is much more about, what if your system is not bootable or not working properly due to a virus and or a faulty hard drive?

Tekken

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

Okay, but it would be better than nothing right.  I suppose it is not worth doing for most but I am not using all that space anyhow. 

At some point I will get a backup drive or USB, guess I just don't get all this yet.  On my linux system I have an Image or a System Restore like program that keeps a backup on my Home Partition, good enough in a jam.

Thanks for all the help!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

Okay, but it would be better than nothing right.  I suppose it is not worth doing for most but I am not using all that space anyhow. 

At some point I will get a backup drive or USB, guess I just don't get all this yet.  On my linux system I have an Image or a System Restore like program that keeps a backup on my Home Partition, good enough in a jam.

Thanks for all the help!

Getting a USB is a good idea. U can create a bootable disk saved in the USB, using say macium reflect backup or free easeus todo backup. If the system crashes, you can boot from the USB to restore the system. But one problem is that the USB might not be big enough to store all the backup files, including system backup and file backups.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

I understand about the USB size that's appreciated.  What I want to know is if I can do the same thing to a partition that I will create on the same pc.  See, I have one W7 laptop that I want to backup, but it is not priority - so don't want to waste a backup drive for it.  But I don't want to have to Reinstall from Factory either, all the Updates and such take so loooong.  I hope I can do this with this one machine and use backup media for the others.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

Try the Windows Setup Backup and use/select the partition created aforementioned. Just remember of the caution and advice when the drive fails or if ever not bootable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

Edited by jhayz, 04 August 2015 - 01:23 AM.

Tekken

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Thanks I will look into that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

I understand about the USB size that's appreciated.  What I want to know is if I can do the same thing to a partition that I will create on the same pc.  See, I have one W7 laptop that I want to backup, but it is not priority - so don't want to waste a backup drive for it.  But I don't want to have to Reinstall from Factory either, all the Updates and such take so loooong.  I hope I can do this with this one machine and use backup media for the others.

Of course you can do that, saving the images to another partition.  But it is better for file/folder backups. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

I see, I will keep reading up on it.  Doesn't appear to be optimum, especially if it is not super safe.  Thanks everyone, I need to learn how to do this.  I can/have used Macrium and Aomei a few times, not always successful.  And...without experience one might not be sure they got a good backup.  Backup drives an't cheap for someone like me.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users