Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox..........

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

Ive been reading this Forum subjects with some considerable interest, and several times the recommendation Firefox
Has come up. As a relative newcomer to computers and a user of Internet Explorer ( ive not yet used any thing else) . Ive read several articles on Pro - Firefox web sites which sing its praises.
Could Forum members who have switched from being IE users to Firefox users please outline ( in not too technical terms ) their feelings and comments after switching , was it as good as you expected ..? And in your mind was it worth the effort in changing over, or was it in any way disappointing for you and in fact you decided switched back. To your original Browser..? (May be due to the intensive promotion of Firefox ) and not being what all the hype claimed it was?
I hope from forum members who have switched over to get some facts and genuine comments both good and bad about switching over to Firefox. . Being a computer newcomer with a new computer, I am very cautious in what I do / change/ download / so getting some first hand advice and comments should help me in my decision to Switch or not to switch that is the question.

Thanks .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

Switch :thumbsup:

I would venture to say that most of the members here use Firefox.
It's a more secure browser than IE, as it doesn't use ActiveX comtrols, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an IE security patch.

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than IE, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come preloaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions

Firefox also makes use of a feature called, tabbed browsing, which I really like.
When opening several links at one time, instead of having several windows open, you can open the links in tabs, in the same window.
I've had as many as 30 links open at the same time in one window.
This way, instead of navigating between several open windows to view your open links, you can just click on the tabs to switch between your different links.

You don't have to uninstall IE to use Firefox, or any other browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want, at the same time.
Some times I'll have IE, Firefox, and Opera all open at the same time.
In fact you can't get rid of IE, as you have to use it to get Windows Updates

I've been using Firefox for several years (since it was known as Firebird), and wouldn't go back to IE for any reason.
I think once you get used to using it, you'll feel the same way.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
If you don't like it, just uninstall it, that easy.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
For me, if I had to choose just one, it's Firefox, all the way.

Edited by tg1911, 12 July 2006 - 10:40 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

I switched over to 'firefox' about 12 months ago...... and i'm more than happy with it.
To add to what tg1911 has already said..... you can also add 'themes' to 'Firefox' so you can make your browser look just like you want it...... it doesn't have to look like everyone else's.
I've just started to use 'opera' now as well, which i don't find as customisable as Firefox....... but i do find it's faster.
I only keep IE on my pc because i have to.
If you try Firefox.... you won't be disapointed.

Edited by Starbuck, 12 July 2006 - 01:09 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

I must second the two before me. FIREFOX ALL THE WAY!!!!!! My Firefox has 15 extensions and uses the most popular (and amazing) theme: Noia EXTREME and it stills runs much faster than IE. Equipped with McAfee Siteadvisor, NoScript, Adblock, and a few other security extensions, my firefox is also much more secure than IE and is looking better than IE ever will! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

One word for you:

FIREFOX

:thumbsup:

Posted Image

Edited by graveangel, 12 July 2006 - 09:57 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

Posted Image

I can't really add anything to this topic, that has not already been said.
I echo all sentiments above! I have Firefox, and have not looked back!

Edited by Scarlett, 12 July 2006 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:37 PM

Some time ago, I downloaded the old Mozilla suite of browser and E-mail client, just to try it out. I found it to be much faster than IE, and it had more features, and was certainly safer to browse with. Now I use Firefox and Thunderbird, for the reasons many others have mentioned.
Remember, it is not an either/or proposition; you can have both IE and Ff on your computer and use both concurrently. I would certainly urge you to give Ff a two-week try--- learn its features, add as many extensions as you need, compare it to IE.
One additional remark. New releases of Ff are offered several times a year; IE is updated whenever MS gets around to it, or is forced by competition to provide enhancements. The popularity of Ff has certainly caused MS to develop IE, and I rather imagine that the folks at Mozilla will keep ahead in the browser improvement race.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

Some thing I'd like to add to one of jgweed's comments:

... add as many extensions as you need ....

(I meant to add it in my first post, but forgot about it until I saw jgweed's post.)

When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems arise, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatabilities, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.
But by all means, do as jgweed said and install as many as you need.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Guy's for your comments, Ive still have a lot to learn about Firefox,and i hope to put together some questions when I feel confident to ask you guy's ........ please keep your personal
comments about Firefox coming, has any one switched to Firefox and then switched back to their old browser..? if so why...?

Thanks ...........

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

Switch back to IE ??? :thumbsup:
Just can't see that happening some how.

BBPP6nz.png

#11 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

I use both. Mostly FF though, because I've found it quicker. I use IE occasionaly though for some feaures on my email require it.

FireFox = :thumbsup:
Interent Explorer = :flowers:

Posted Image

#12 Sage46

Sage46

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

FireFox forever
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Sage
Just an old flatland cowpoke

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

killer_kyle,
Have you checked out Thunderbird, also from Mozilla.

#14 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:25 AM

Still trying to get the low down on Firefox, just read this article...

Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 Is No Slam-Dunk

at http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1397...3129TX1K0000628

just thought its intresting to get different views..?

Thanks ................ Mypenry

#15 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

The link doesn't seem to work...
At any rate, the article appears to be about Firefox 2.0 BETA by the looks of the title. As clearly labeled, FF 2.0 is a BETA; a BETA program means that the program is not completed and is still in testing AKA:

Bugs
Exist
Try
Anoter

The latest full version (without the bugs and kinks of a BETA product) is Firefox 1.5.04.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users