Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coltom223432

Coltom223432

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

So I was following a tutorial on Youtube on how to boost my computer's RAM.  I checked the comments and ratings to make sure it was a legit and legal method, and based on the comments it seemed like a safe and easy method.  I went into my Computer Properties, and then went into Advanced System Settings.  I then went into my Performance settings and changed and tried to adjust my Virtual Memory.  Since I have 8 gigs of RAM on my PC, I tried multiplying my MB by 1.5 and making that the max amount of VM.  I then reset my PC, and when it booted back up, all the screen displays is a black screen with a underscore flashing in the top left corner.  I tried finding guides on how to fix this already, but nothing supports my problem.  I know this probably was a idiotic move, but I'm a motion designer that's desperate for more RAM.  If you have any suggestions on how to fix this with or without being able to save my current files on my PC (Preferably with, but I have them backed up luckily), please share.  Thank you:).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

Hello Coltom and Welcome to you..

So I was following a tutorial on Youtube on how to boost my computer's RAM. 

Is there any way that you can link this "Boost your RAM" program, and from there we may be able to check it.

From this end, it sounds like a "bogus program" that has damaged your system now, and we will try and help Reboot it -

Thank You -

#3 Coltom223432

Coltom223432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

I didn't have to install any programs, I did all in the computer properties.  Here's the link:

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:45 AM

Well (Personally only)

I did not understand half of the "useless garbage" that he was saying ..

He did ramble on about next to nothing, except how to change settings for a computer that will not work..

You must now agree that there is no way that this can work, as you say you have a Brick" in front of you that will not even boot.

I would try a topic in the Malware / Virus area if I can get somebody to help you to boot this computer and reset it or the BSOD area if the helpers are there today. Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support if the helpers are there today.

Please, also click on Follow this topic at the top right side to get notified when you get a reply ..

Edited as one line was corrupted -

Edited by noknojon, 02 August 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

Try running Startup Repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Win 7 Startup Repair, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551760/windows-7-works-for-a-few-seconds-then-everything-freezes/?p=3505013

Louis

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Louis,

I had not thought of that , but you did not mention Win Vista / 7 / 8 specifically (or I missed it) even though it was in Win 7 area -

Edited by noknojon, 02 August 2015 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users