Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Creation Tool: error 0x800704DD - 0x90016

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

When trying to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop PC to Windows 10, I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool, which stopped with an unhelpful "Something happened" message, showing the error code:

0x800704DD - 0x90016

Can someone enlighten me as to what this means, and how to cope with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

Did you set up an account as admin?  Try logging out and then logging into that account.  For your error is telling you that you're trying to do something only permitted on the admin account, google here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+error+code+0x800704DD+-+0x90016&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can go into Users and make yourself an admin.  Right click on desktop, Personalize, Control panel (click on the triangle), select User Accounts.  Then restart.

There's a command to always grant you admin rights, but I'll not give that one here.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

Did you set up an account as admin?  Try logging out and then logging into that account.  For your error is telling you that you're trying to do something only permitted on the admin account, google here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+error+code+0x800704DD+-+0x90016&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can go into Users and make yourself an admin.  Right click on desktop, Personalize, Control panel (click on the triangle), select User Accounts.  Then restart.

There's a command to always grant you admin rights, but I'll not give that one here.

Thabj you ma'am, I will try that.

#4 reginaldvw

reginaldvw

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

Did you set up an account as admin?

Hmmm, I see... But even if you're not admin isn't it supposed to throw a UAC popup at you, you enter admin credentials and you can continue?

#5 way2ob2se

way2ob2se

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Reginaldvw, the UAC does pop up, and you can enter your Admin password, BUT... still get the error.  I tried this repeatedly.  Then saw some info on-line saying you need to actually LOG IN to an Admin account.  Tried that, and it worked fine.

#6 reginaldvw

reginaldvw

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

Aah, okay... That makes sense! Thank you, way2ob2se!

#7 reginaldvw

reginaldvw

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

When trying to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop PC to Windows 10, I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool, which stopped with an unhelpful "Something happened" message, showing the error code:

0x800704DD - 0x90016

So basically this means you are logged in as a user and you have no administrator rights. You should log out with your user account and then log in with an administrator account.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

It does not matter what you do i get the same well almost same error massage since free upgrade to Windows 10 ended i think its to do with Microsoft not letting us download the ISO images i even tried to download ISO image for Windows 8 and 8.1 and Windows 10 error message is Error code 0x800706D9 - 0x90016 i don't remember others error message. Microsoft has a lesser known web page for Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program which provides documentations, scripts, tools and various Windows 10 ISO images even this web page where before you were able to download Windows 10 ISO image taken down. Visit the Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program web page at https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/techbench.

Edited by FreeBooter, 02 August 2016 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users