Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD caused by "nvlddmkm.sys"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sylint19

sylint19

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

I decided to sign up on this forum because the issue I am facing has, at this point, confused me to no end. Below I'm putting my system information and at the end of the post I will add the full story. As well as this I have attached the Sysnative report and the Performance Monitor report. Thank you!

System Information:

· Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit

· The install disc required an earlier version of windows, so I installed 64-bit Windows XP Professional.
· My system is custom built by myself, and is about three years old.
· When the problem first occurred and I was unable to find a solution, I went ahead with a fresh install of Windows 7, going through the same upgrade from XP process as stated above.

Hardware Information:
· CPU: AMD FX™-4130 Quad Core 3.80GHz
· Video Card: My issue first began occurring with my EVGA GeForce GTX 650 ti 2gb card. I assumed the issue's root was a problem with the GFX card itself, so I sent it off to EVGA for a replacement under warranty. At the current moment I am using a Galaxy GeForce 8400GS 512mb card.
· MotherBoard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus 760G Socket AM3+
· Power Supply: Diablotek DA Series 500w ATX
· Desktop

Long story:

The problem began about five days ago at this point when I was playing Guild Wars 2. My screen went black for a moment, flashed back on, went black a second time, showed only the cursor, and then crashed. When I finally booted back up and checked the minidump file with WinDbg, it showed nvlddmkm.sys as the problem. A quick google search revealed the problem was with the Nvidia driver becoming unresponsive. I attempted all of the suggested fixes, including wiping drivers. A fresh install of the card's drivers had no success, so I attempted a fresh install of windows. Once again to no avail. I decided to try one last thing to check if the issue was the card itself by plugging in my old Galaxy card, listed above. The system ran fine with it and I did not encounter the BSOD again. With this I decided to move forward with a replacement of my EVGA GeForce GTX 650 card, which is about 2 and a half years old. However, what drove me to this forum was that upon booting up my computer tonight, about two nights after putting the Galaxy card in, my computer received a BSOD on start up. The source of which being none other than "nvlddmkm.sys."

This has me very worried that the issue causing this isn't my graphics card, but another part of my system. I have had very few issues with this custom built system, except for a faulty RAM stick. Could the issue be my motherboard, or my processor? Or is it possible my RAM could be bad? I've never had issues with my display drivers until now. Any and all help would be much appreciated. If you require more information (such as the minidump file), by all means ask. I'd like to get this issue resolved.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by sylint19, 01 August 2015 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

:welcome: sylint19 to Bleeping Computer

Your bugcheck code is 0x00000116"

Usual causes:  Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card

:step1: While you may have been interchanging some video cards recently. Make sure you have removed previous Nvidia drivers completely before installing the newer one.

:step2: One thing to inspect is if your desktop has been cleaned and maintained of any dust bunnies before aside from replacing the card and reinstalling the OS. This is in connection with thermal events or overheating.

:step3: Different graphic cards requires different output voltages or demands, it could probably a power supply problem requirement or it needs to be replaced as the currently installed is not known or branded.

Edited by jhayz, 01 August 2015 - 09:46 PM.

Tekken

#3 sylint19

sylint19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

:welcome: sylint19 to Bleeping Computer

Your bugcheck code is 0x00000116"
Usual causes:  Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card

:step1: While you may have been interchanging some video cards recently. Make sure you have removed previous Nvidia drivers completely before installing the newer one.

:step2: One thing to inspect is if your desktop has been cleaned and maintained of any dust bunnies before aside from replacing the card and reinstalling the OS. This is in connection with thermal events or overheating.

:step3: Different graphic cards requires different output voltages or demands, it could probably a power supply problem requirement or it needs to be replaced as the currently installed is not known or branded.

Thank you for your reply! I'm on mobile so if I miss anything, let me know.

I did clean out out my tower with a can of air and individually cleaned each component.

I went ahead and ran DDU to remove the old nvidia drivers before installing the Galaxy's drivers, however it could be possible I just didn't put the card in fully. I will check that.

How would I go about checking temperatures and voltages? I've never had any problems with my power supply or card until now. What could cause the power supply to stop outputting enough power to support my graphics card?

Thank you again!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

How would I go about checking temperatures and voltages? I've never had any problems with my power supply or card until now. What could cause the power supply to stop outputting enough power to support my graphics card?

If you've already cleaned out the dust bunnies internally, then that would be a checkmark from the 3 suggestions I've previously posted. With regard to the PSU and temperatures, since it is going to bluescreen relatively for a shorter time, then it would be impossible to check the thermal events but that might be resolved after the dusting out with air duster. You would need to borrow a known good PSU atleast, checking the voltage is a bit not viable at this point as the symptoms is consistent with different graphic cards installed.

Tekken

#5 sylint19

sylint19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

If you've already cleaned out the dust bunnies internally, then that would be a checkmark from the 3 suggestions I've previously posted. With regard to the PSU and temperatures, since it is going to bluescreen relatively for a shorter time, then it would be impossible to check the thermal events but that might be resolved after the dusting out with air duster. You would need to borrow a known good PSU atleast, checking the voltage is a bit not viable at this point as the symptoms is consistent with different graphic cards installed.

The computer only bluescreened once when a game wasn't running on my EVGA card, and it bluescreened once on the Galaxy and that was on startup. So the EVGA card worked relatively fine until I booted into a game. The driver would then go on the fritz, most times I could close out of the game before TDR would execute a bluescreen though.

I became exceptionally worried when the Galaxy crashed on startup, however when I booted up Guild Wars 2 on that card it would run without crashing, but obviously at a very low graphical setting.

I'm not sure if that gives any extra useful information or not. I thought I'd add it.

Thank you again!

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

That would be a faulty power supply in my observation due to rail voltage output is misfiring in reference to the bug check code (power to card). You have covered the other bases so far...

Tekken

#7 sylint19

sylint19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

That would be a faulty power supply in my observation due to rail voltage output is misfiring in reference to the bug check code (power to card). You have covered the other bases so far...

Brilliant! I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a power supply to test with my new video card when it arrives. If I encounter any problems then I'll be back to this topic. Until then, thank you so much for your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users