Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thanks a lot guys...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

:(  You're all making me paranoid... HA.
I've had windows 7 for about 4 or 5 years I think... and I like it.  I can't afford a new pc and wanted to FEEL like I was getting a newer pc so I ordered some memory and a new hdd(as mine was filling up just a little) and was planning on trying out windows 10.
I'm torn now but, more hesitant.....  far more hesitant.
There's a part of me that feels like, certainly with enough settings changes I could make it so I wasn't giving them my first born or something.
But some of the conversations you're all sharing are a bit worrisome. 
(I'm not worried about wifi as nobody would ever be in range...  one benefit to living on 5 acres... )

It's creepy beyond creepy what companies put in their privacy and TOS and other pages... that nobody really reads.  When pinterest came out(I haven't read their policies since then) they basically said that ANYTHING you posted was then theirs... 

I despise google for their actions... I really feel that google is more powerful than the US government today......  They own so much...  And they save EVERYTHING... they've snooped wifi networks with absolutely no remorse... ets...
Currently I do use gmail(haven't found a replacement yet that I feel I can trust anymore than them...) and I use their ads on my website... and, I use google voice...  I can't afford long distance but, their service is essentially 3 way calling with THEIR phone system doing the calling... which I suspect leaves me open to them recording my phone conversations... I sure wouldn't put it past them.
But anyway...  I stopped using youtube because they would not allow me to use it without creating a google+ account.  Sorry, I will not be strong-armed into that... don't want it or need it.  They just want MORE of my info all linked together... what's my mother's maiden name? who are my friends?  Where am I hanging out each day?  They want it all.
Ugh...   and these are just some examples of how technology is serving us so well...
I'm on facebook all the time...  don't want to give it up... but, anyone that doesn't use it or is giving it up, I always tell them they're better off...  really.

Anyway...  Reading your discussions on win10 has me a BIT paranoid...  I'm kind of wondering, if I wait a while will things change any?  or will it only get worse?
There's a part of me that wishes I could sit back and wait for someone to contact me and let me know when it's safe... ha... as I don't study every article that comes out about these things.

I've enjoyed windows 7...  one of the biggest draws towards 10 was games.  I enjoy some games... my wife's windows 8 machines has wordament and minion rush...  games you can't find anywhere else... can't get them for windows 7... which, I still don't understand...  Of course windows 10 wont have things that windows 7 has either...  Will they ever make things to work all the way around?  ha. 

Anyway...  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I do have the new hdd but I have some cleaning up and backing up to do before I install it...  but then... I just don't know. 

There's that TINY part of me that still wants to move forward...  newer USUALLY equals more secure and faster... and, those are good things...  despite all the paranoia, there is still some draw to it... that's all I'm saying...
But you all have me so paranoid, I'm half tempted to abandon windows and go to linux... I've used ubuntu before... wasn't horrible but, I didn't use it long enough to figure it all out...  and I do feel I'd be missing some things if I ditched windows all together...
So then I'm thinking...  dual boot?

I just don't know what I'm going to do yet... 
But just had to say... thanks a lot...

:P     <_< 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Oh, millipede!  There is no need to rush into any decision at all.  Wait a month, see what people are saying.  Wait another month.  Then there will be perspective, many voices.  Okay?  Now is not the right time to decide anything, your frame of mind is too scattered.

Also, whatever is complained about now in Windows 10, might get fixed.  That's in part why people complain.  The new Windows is about feedback, so we are giving it.  Then it takes time to respond to the feedback, and more time to fix whatever's wrong.  So maybe Windows 10 will become a great idea.  Maybe it is now.

For example, if you just asked me how well Windows 10 runs, I'd say great.  You need Firefox for good browsing, and patience for the way they moved everything around.  My concerns and others', aren't about how well Windows works, but about how Microsoft will use our information, and updates being forced, and what are the license terms.  But the OS itself, has a lot to commend it.

So the best thing to do, is nothing.  Wait and seeNo decision is needed for a year.  Okay? 

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 07:19 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

<snip>
But anyway...  I stopped using youtube because they would not allow me to use it without creating a google+ account.  Sorry, I will not be strong-armed into that... don't want it or need it. <Snip>

The requirement for having a Google plus(G+) account for YouTube is no longer in effect. The requirement was instituted so that people would use 'real' names to make comments. Like that was going to happen....You could still use YouTube without a G+ account, just not make comments. Which is what I did. I never make comments on YouTube anyway. So it never affected my use of the site.

But they have removed or are removing that requirement.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/27/9047785/youtube-ditching-google-plus-requirement

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:13 AM

Yeppers, that's why I went to vimeo.  So now will have to enable comments.  Actually, Animal, it was kinda cool to be using Chrome and have the comments via Google, notify me: I never had to post in Google Plus nor in Youtube, could just stay in the browser.  Else I won't use or go to or even try to understand the mishmosh which is Google Plus and even now, Youtube.  I can't FIND anything in there anymore.  But must stay, for the subscribers.

Edited by brainout, 02 August 2015 - 01:13 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Well there's the linux route to consider, if you feel that paranoid

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

Millipede - I am creeped out too. If privacy is your concern, check out Linux, that's what I am doing. Dual boot or on thumbdrive. There are threads about this on this site.

As far as Pinterest, there is an alternative called clipix.com. Fewer user but awesome. Their default setting is private but you can still share with your friends.

Also, dude, shed the truth serum you were apparently infected with. I mean really, you don't use your real identity to register anywhere do you now? Make it a habit to always browse with a VPN, register with made-up names and email addresses. Make sure you erase history with Google. Etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users