Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast......

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Good morning,

I have been through pretty much every free software, getting p**** off about permanent pop-ups, sales tricks and false positives. I ended up with MSE a while ago, which does none of these things, but slows the computer down noticably…

So, I decided to try Avast once again, downloaded (stupidly) the latest version, unclicked everything possible and found later in the settings that un-clicking did not impress Avast too much. Everthing was turned on…

I am usually careful, when installing new stuff, so I am reasonably sure that Avast did NOT even ask me, if I wanted the Google browser, installed it anyway and made it the default browser…

Then I ran a start up scan and Avast found one Trojan and one pup, without asking what to do with it, and when finally offering choices, none of them says „Ignore“.

…\AppData\Roaming\32739212_wmrmerg.vbe is infected by VBS:Downloader-ZW [Trj], Moved to chest

…\Desktop\Software\Setupsintstalled\freemp3cutterjoiner.exe|>inno.hdr is infected by NSIS:Relevant-I [PUP], Moved to chest

This computer got also regularly scanned by Mbam and by adwcleaner and none of them found anything yesterday, and the only thing I did download, was….. Avast, from their own website.

So two questions….

Is there a way to stop Avast from doing all this nonsense, maybe by installing an older version of free avast? (filehippo has them)

Or is there a different recommendable free av software, that will not nag and harrass the user with requests and false positives?

Thanks, Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

There are several annoying avast! pop-ups and notifications which can be disabled.avast! includes several features (Browser protection, Software Updater, Remote Assistance, SecureLine, Rescue Disk, etc) which you may not want or need.

If avast is already installed, to permanently disable features...follow these instructions:
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > select avast > Change/Remove.
2. On the avast! installation set up screen choose the option to Change and click Next.
3. On the Configuration screen, under Components, uncheck any features you don't want and click Next.
4. After the change is made you should receive an Update finished page.
5. Check the option to restart and click the Finish button at the bottom.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

Then I ran a start up scan and Avast found one Trojan and one pup, without asking what to do with it, and when finally offering choices, none of them says „Ignore“.

…\AppData\Roaming\32739212_wmrmerg.vbe is infected by VBS:Downloader-ZW [Trj], Moved to chest

…\Desktop\Software\Setupsintstalled\freemp3cutterjoiner.exe|>inno.hdr is infected by NSIS:Relevant-I [PUP], Moved to chest

This computer got also regularly scanned by Mbam and by adwcleaner and none of them found anything yesterday, and the only thing I did download, was….. Avast, from their own website.

Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner do not cover certain threats that Avast does, so I would say that those are not FPs.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 01 August 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#4 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

There are several annoying avast! pop-ups and notifications which can be disabled.

avast! includes several features (Browser protection, Software Updater, Remote Assistance, SecureLine, Rescue Disk, etc) which you may not want or need.

If avast is already installed, to permanently disable features...follow these instructions:
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > select avast > Change/Remove.
2. On the avast! installation set up screen choose the option to Change and click Next.
3. On the Configuration screen, under Components, uncheck any features you don't want and click Next.
4. After the change is made you should receive an Update finished page.
5. Check the option to restart and click the Finish button at the bottom.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.

Thanks, but I know all that, aand it does not really excuse installing the google browser without choice, does it? It also does not excuse the yellow warning triangle in my taskbar, which cannot be removed, and, as I just found out, it does not excuse being free for 30 days only, or surrendering an e-mail adress of mine, right?

Bitdefender I found recommended from another source also in the meantime. As you seem to know what you are talking about, would you recommend that yourself? Are there any RELIABLE new tests? In the internet I find only inconclusive information, most are directly contradicting each other and useless... :hysterical:

#5 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner do not cover certain threats that Avast does, so I would say that those are not FPs.

I must say, that I find that hard to believe, as the Trojan is even on Mbam's list.

Checking the internet I found several notices that some free softwares install stuff like that to make you switch to the paid version.

What I find totally insulting is that they do not even give me achoice what to do with it!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

With that said, a lot of our members use Bitdefender which I would probably use myself if I opted for a free anti-virus.

#7 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

With that said, a lot of our members use Bitdefender which I would probably use myself if I opted for a free anti-virus.

Thank you, but I have no illusions about AV software when it comes to zero day exploits.

I simply want a program that stops what can be stopped, updates the databank on its own, not the software, and otherwise leaves me alone.

So, as you say, I seems a reasonably idea to try bitdefender unless further research shows spome personal "incompatibility".    :wink:

It was my mistake to re-install Avast which I had been using for a very long time before uninstalling it about two or three years ago... my memory must have messed up badly, when I decided to use it again (Avira was actually even worse)    :flamethrower:

(Love your selection... great stuff.)

PS: Anyone knows what that "SecureAPlus" is all about?

From what I can tell by now, they sit in Lebanon, and everybody only raves about it, but the opinions might be fakes....?

Edited by tylerdurdenvolland, 01 August 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

I've been using Avast AV free at first, then moved to AV pro; yes, I've gotten used to the nag-ads long ago, including turning down unwanted, un-needed Avast modules, Dropbox, Google browser.  If you want free, you get what they offer, you can turn down most if not all the offers.  False positives are part and parcel within many security programs, that's why I configure quarantine-this, that, the other.  I go through several different quarantine buckets and restore what I know is ok.

We posted at the same time.  Addendum:  Avast, Avira, BitDefender, Comodo, and so on -- all have to be custom-installed, advanced-installed, with unchecky [from unchecky.com] already online, so that the person in the chair can click boxes for what is wanted,  leave un-clicked the boxes for what is not wanted.

After that, one configures each program to do what user wants, the ways/means the user wants, and so on.  Updating, configuring, is a bit more an on-going process than set-it/forget it.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 August 2015 - 07:13 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

I've been using Avast AV free at first, then moved to AV pro; yes, I've gotten used to the nag-ads long ago, including turning down unwanted, un-needed Avast modules, Dropbox, Google browser.  If you want free, you get what they offer, you can turn down most if not all the offers.  False positives are part and parcel within many security programs, that's why I configure quarantine-this, that, the other.  I go through several different quarantine buckets and restore what I know is ok.

We posted at the same time.  Addendum:  Avast, Avira, BitDefender, Comodo, and so on -- all have to be custom-installed, advanced-installed, with unchecky [from unchecky.com] already online, so that the person in the chair can click boxes for what is wanted,  leave un-clicked the boxes for what is not wanted.

After that, one configures each program to do what user wants, the ways/means the user wants, and so on.  Updating, configuring, is a bit more an on-going process than set-it/forget it.

No, question that is true. I started that thread here with the intention of getting to know old facts and new developments. F.e., I  did not know about the advantages of bit-defender. I simply was really upset by finding that browser installed, without warning. False Positives are a reality, but I feel insulted when I find my AV software does not even give me the choice to decide what to do with it. That is not acceptable...

I used to have an old Avast intallation before I added an SSD to this computer, an installation that had none of the b.s.  Maybe I can dig up something like that in the internet again, software that needs your permission to uüdate itself... how nostalgic. I have a few of those  :blush:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

...PS: Anyone knows what that "SecureAPlus" is all about?
From what I can tell by now, they sit in Lebanon, and everybody only raves about it, but the opinions might be fakes....?

SecureAPlus
SecureAPlus Features
What makes SecureAPlus unique?
How does SecureAPlus work?
SecureAPlus Freemium Download and User Manuals
SecureAPlus Freemium vs SecureAPlus Premium

SecureAPlus Freemium Topic Discussion

#11 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

I have been using Bitdefender Free Antivirus for close to one year now. It does require registration but that is all, no nagging after that. 

It has been good to me. I'm not what could be called a high risk internet user, still I think Bitdefender is doing a good job. It did detect and quarantined a couple of bugs that my others security apps missed (Antiexploit and on demand scanner set to autorun at startup).

Lack of customization is a bonus to me as I have the tendency to overdo it and get into trouble. 

It allow for schedule scan to be set, also give you the option to quarantine/delete issues now. In previous versions It was just deleting bugs by default.

Well just my two bobs worth. :)

VS

#12 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

...PS: Anyone knows what that "SecureAPlus" is all about?

SecureAPlus
SecureAPlus Features
What makes SecureAPlus unique?
How does SecureAPlus work?
SecureAPlus Freemium Download and User Manuals
SecureAPlus Freemium vs SecureAPlus Premium

SecureAPlus Freemium Topic Discussion

Thank You !

Perfect answer, the discussion shows only good things. I have it marked for testing.

#13 tylerdurdenvolland

tylerdurdenvolland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

I have been using Bitdefender Free Antivirus for close to one year now. It does require registration but that is all, no nagging after that. 

It has been good to me. I'm not what could be called a high risk internet user, still I think Bitdefender is doing a good job. It did detect and quarantined a couple of bugs that my others security apps missed (Antiexploit and on demand scanner set to autorun at startup).

Lack of customization is a bonus to me as I have the tendency to overdo it and get into trouble. 

It allow for schedule scan to be set, also give you the option to quarantine/delete issues now. In previous versions It was just deleting bugs by default.

Well just my two bobs worth. :)

VS

I have Bd installed now, and so far it looks perfect, no pop-ups, no messages. For a while I will check it every few days with Mbam or Stinger.

I had one problem though... I sent them the mail, I actually tried five times, but never got an answer. Any idea if this has consequneces? It does update the database, so it keeps working, but I am puzzled...

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

...I have Bd installed now... 
I had one problem though... I sent them the mail, I actually tried five times, but never got an answer. Any idea if this has consequneces? It does update the database, so it keeps working, but I am puzzled...

What was the problem?
How and where did you send the emails?

Not all emails may necessitate a direct reply.

#15 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

tylerdurdenvolland

BD regularly scan for virus on the background, that feature is always active. On versions previous to 2015 BD did occasionally interfere with some apps and updates installations. With system restore too, if I remember correctly. I had to uninstall and reinstall BD few time then to get things working again. (That was the reason why I kept going back to more intrusive free AVs.) It does not seems the case any longer, smooth sailing for many long and happy months now. 

As Quietman suggested details of the problem you encountered are paramount for those on the know here (not me) to be able to assist.

Good luck.

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 02 August 2015 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users