Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having some trouble installing Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tscott

tscott

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

To start off I never got the "Get Windows 10" app in my taskbar to reserve a download of Windows 10 and I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried installing it 3 times using the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website and each time I have gotten some sort of blue screen, my computer restarts, and it reverts back to Windows 7
0JnS5Dj.png

After restarting and logging in after it is finished restoring Windows 7, I get the error reading "0xc1900101 - 0x4000d the installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error during migrate_data operation"
Now I've tried uninstalling all of my antivirus software and removing all external devices other than my mouse and keyboard but it still doesn't want to work. 

Oh and another thing, don't know if this has anything to do with the installation not working but my Firewall won't turn on. Everytime I try to turn it on I get this message:
LCvshKA.png
& when I try and do it manually nothing works. Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with the Windows 10 installation not working, just curious. 

I also tried booting from a USB drive and got the message reading "Compatibility report: The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select Icustom [advanced] to perform an upgrade Icustom [advanced] installs a new copy of windows and deletes your programs and settings.)

If anyone knows what I can do to fix this I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks

Edited by tscott, 01 August 2015 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well, let's start with the last one, first.  You can't use the media install tool from boot.  You have to boot in Win7 first, and then plug in the usb and then click on setup.exe.  That's what the instructions in the last paragraph of your post, are saying.

But before you do that, ask yourself:  DO YOU LIKE WINDOWS 7??  For you will lose it, if you go to Windows 10.  The only way to recover, is to clone your drive PRIOR TO using the Windows 10 installer.  Win10 claims it can restore you back, but that is not happening.  People are reporting lost or corrupted files, drives, etc. in tenforums.  So the only reliable way to go back to Win7, is to clone and then clone back after you've seen Win10 (and presumably disliked it).

Win10's usage license REPLACES the Win7, and is much more restrictive than Win7's, when doing an in-place upgrade.  Unlike during the Insider phase, with the official Win10 you cannot do a clean install until AFTER upgrading,which wipes out your Win7 and its license.

For this reason, you'd be better off upgrading some other license of a version you might dislike, say 8.0 after converting it to 8.1 via Windows Store.

As for the firewall, type 'firewall' in the Win7 search area, and then see if you don't get 'Firewall with Advanced Security'.  That produces a dialogue box of settings.  At the far right in Action Center, is 'restore defaults' option.   Try clicking it, so to make the firewall default to 'on'.

I'm assuming you don't know enough about Windows to use gpedit.msc, right?  For it looks like someone turned the firewall off using 'group policy'.  Assuming you are the owner of the machine instead, you can use the same method, but I'm thinking here that if you restore defaults you'll be fine.  If they don't restore, then you'll have to Run gpedit.msc and search in Action on 'firewall'.  How to do that:  after gpedit.msc loads, move your mouse down to Administrative Templates, then look up at the Menu and click on Action: in its dropdown box, look for Filter Options, click on that.  Then type 'firewall' in the Input box, then click OK.  Then move your mouse down the tree at left to Administrative Template All Settings (there are two sets of 'All Settings', one under 'Windows Settings Administrative Template', and the other under User Configurations Administrative Template'): the options shown on the right, are thus all 'filtered' to 'firewall'.  Check each one, see if an option turns firewall OFF.  If so, turn it back on. 

Then close the dialogue box, and then click or type Run, then type gpupdate.exe -- that produces a DOS window,  updates your changes, then exits.

If even that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

Edited by brainout, 02 August 2015 - 02:41 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users