Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'm having troubles with Chrome right now and I've been able to fix things by uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser in the past, but when I go to 'Programs and Features' in my Control Panel the Google Chrome Browser isn't listed! I see 'Google Drive' and 'Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer'.

This is the first time this has happened to me and I've looked everywhere trying to find a way to solve this. I've seen a lot of people suggest downloading an uninstaller but I have no idea which one is good, what's just spam and will just put viruses on my on my computer.

Can anyone please tell me how to uninstall Google Chrome WITHOUT going to Programs and Features?!?!

Thank you,

Arlothia

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2015 - 07:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Unfortunately, there are no other ways to uninstall Google Chrome.

Source: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

I've seen a lot of people suggest downloading an uninstaller but I have no idea which one is good, what's just spam and will just put viruses on my on my computer.

I have an uninstall for Chrome in my Revo Uninstaller software. Highly recommended.

Revo Uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Edited by saw101, 01 August 2015 - 06:43 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

I have an uninstall for Chrome in my Revo Uninstaller software.

Revo Uninstaller here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Oh yeah, forgot about revo.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

So, your saying Chrome is still installed right?  If that is true you could try Revo, if that don't work take a look at this video, it worked for me when I Uninstalled, Reinstalled but chrome did not function right still.  This will start you with a clean slate.  Be very careful as you will be in the registry!  You should also Backup your Registry files and create a Restore Point.

Also consider that you are infected, if need help post for that.

Prior to this  you will want to get rid of everything associated with Google-in Add-Remove Programs and in your browser, Toolbars and such.

There also seems to be a tool that will fix issues before one tries to remove chrome that I have not tried.

https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Wow you guys are fast! Thanks for all the quick responses! This is like the second or third time I've seen Revo brought up in conversations about this problem so I'll probably use that if all else fails, so thank you saw101!
And pcpunk--Yes, Google Chrome is still installed, I'm using it right now. And thank you as well for your suggestion of Revo. You mentioned getting rid of "Google-in Add-Remove Programs and in your prowser, Toolbars and such". I have three ad blocking extensions I'm using on chrome right now: AdBlock, Adblock Plus, and Adguard AdBlocker (can you tell I hate ads?) I've been using those since I switched from IE to Chrome and they've never given me a problem until now when they keep uninstalling! They are the only extensions I have (though sometimes in the past few weeks as this problem has been occurring I've tried Adblock Super and Adblock Pro but I have the same problems with those as well) and for the past few days they haven't been working properly! I actually have another TOPIC  going on here right now about that. Are you saying that I should get rid of those before using Revo or before using the method in the video you linked (thanks for that as well)?
Oh, and thank you for your suggestion about creating a restore point! I hadn't thought of that and it's a REALLY good idea! On that same train of thought, do you think that if I went back to one of the automatic restore points that were made before all these issues started to show up, this issue would go away? Perhaps it was one of those stupid Windows updates that screwed something  up and maybe resetting my system back prior to those updates it will go back to normal. What do you think?

Thanks everyone!
A

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

You mentioned getting rid of "Google-in Add-Remove Programs and in your browser, Toolbars and such".
If you use the Registry Edit in the video you will want to remove anything Google in Add-Remove Programs first, or later but think it is better to do it first.  I am not completely sure about all this, but, if you use that Regedit video I believe it will disable Google Tool-bars also.  So you could be left with the image of the toolbar but it wont work.

I have three ad blocking extensions I'm using on chrome right now: AdBlock, Adblock Plus, and Adguard AdBlocker (can you tell I hate ads?)
This is too many Extensions IMO, just use Adblock Plus, and get your self something like "avast web reputation" think they are calling it avast security now.  Or Web Of Trust which will tell you if you are at/visiting a Safe site.  See, you are using three different tools to do the same thing.  This is like having three AV's installed that are competing to do the same thing.

Are you saying that I should get rid of those before using Revo or before using the method in the video you linked (thanks for that as well)?  Why don't you try just removing or disabling all but one of those extensions first.  Then close Chrome and restart, or even restart your OS to be safe.  If this helps then just Uninstall those other extensions.  Then if you are still having issues try Revo.  After that you could look at those Reg files and see if there is anything in them.  Or even better, first look in C:Program Files for Google and C:Program Files (x86) to see if there are any files left over there in those folders.  The object is to remove any garbage files that are messing up Chrome as some could be left over from another chrome install, duplicates or something.  If there is nothing there then you could reinstall chrome.

Oh, and thank you for your suggestion about creating a restore point! I hadn't thought of that and it's a REALLY good idea! On that same train of thought, do you think that if I went back to one of the automatic restore points that were made before all these issues started to show up, this issue would go away? Perhaps it was one of those stupid Windows updates that screwed something  up and maybe resetting my system back prior to those updates it will go back to normal. What do you think?
Not if you still have all those Extensions Enabled, it probably won't help.

Thanks everyone!
A

Answers in Blue above, hope I was clear.

Edited by pcpunk, 01 August 2015 - 09:25 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

Arlothia, I think if you are still having issues, this is even a better video, copy paste into your browser!  This one is real thorough.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

pcpunk--That second video you sent me seems to have worked! Thank you!! Obviously I couldn't uninstall is from Programs and Features because it wasn't showing up but I did everything else he said about deleting all of the Google Chrome files and after I installed Google Chrome again and signed in I only added the Adblock Plus extension, closed Chrome, re-opened it again, and I haven't had an issue with it uninstalling itself! And I had also been getting some select pop-ups and ads and they're gone too!

My only issue now is that it STILL isn't showing up in the list of Programs and Features! Now I know how to uninstall it through the video you sent me this isn't as big a deal now, but I'm still curious why it isn't showing up because that's a MUCH more convenient way of uninstalling it than going around and deleting every Google-related folder I can.

Also, I very much appreciate your council about just having one ad blocker (totally makes sense) but before I had this issue of the automatic uninstallation (which I outlined in my other topic on here which I linked in an earlier message) I had no problem with having multiple ad blockers. Any idea what may have caused that?

Thank you again SOOOOO much!

Arlothia

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

pcpunk--That second video you sent me seems to have worked! Thank you!! Obviously I couldn't uninstall is from Programs and Features because it wasn't showing up but I did everything else he said about deleting all of the Google Chrome files and after I installed Google Chrome again and signed in I only added the Adblock Plus extension, closed Chrome, re-opened it again, and I haven't had an issue with it uninstalling itself! And I had also been getting some select pop-ups and ads and they're gone too!  Very good!!!

My only issue now is that it STILL isn't showing up in the list of Programs and Features!  I will look into this for you and you can google it also.

Also, I very much appreciate your council about just having one ad blocker (totally makes sense) but before I had this issue of the automatic un-installation (which I outlined in my other topic on here which I linked in an earlier message) I had no problem with having multiple ad blockers. Any idea what may have caused that?  No, some things just happen this way.  Some times a bad practice or setup will work for a while then it won't.  I'm no tech so I wouldn't know exactly the inter-workings of it all.  Lots of folks have two AV's installed as they don't know any better, and one day it causes problems for some reason.

Thank you again SOOOOO much!

Arlothia

Your Welcome!  Answers in Blue above.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

Did you re-boot after deleting all those files before re-installing Chrome?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Did you re-boot after deleting all those files before re-installing Chrome?

Short answer: no.
However, I actually restarted my computer mid-way through deleting everything because when I tried to delete one of the Google folders it said that I still had an application running. I couldn't see anything (I double checked on the Task Manager as well) so I decided to restart my computer and it worked after that and I continued to delete everything.
After reading your message I re-booted my computer just now and still no luck. I'll wait to see if you find anything about this issue before uninstalling everything again, re-booting the computer, and then re-installing  Chrome. And thank you for looking into this! I appreciate that VERY much!

Thanks!
Arlothia

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

You might need to do this all over again after a good cleaning.  You might ask for help or read up on cleaning your system at Am I Infected Forum.  They are quite busy here so it might take a while if needed.  They can use the FRST Logs to diagnose exact problems.

I would uninstall chrome and then do this below.  Or download these first then delete chrome files again-reboot and then run these tools.

If you want to attempt on your own you could run a few tools that I think are pretty safe.  I would start by downloading RKill and then running MalwareBytes as suggested here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308364/rkill-what-it-does-and-what-it-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/ 

I am not the best to advise you much further but I have also used CCleaner, AdwCleaner, JRT and HitmanPro.  With CCleaner, just don't use the Registry Cleaner - that is for advanced users.

With MBAM, check the "Search for Rootkits" also.

Good luck post back if needed!

Edited by pcpunk, 02 August 2015 - 08:10 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Arlothia, if you still can't resolve Chrome not being in the Programs list after trying what we discussed then this video is supposed to help.  I have not tried it so use at own risk.  It is however from the same publisher as the last so I think it will be pretty good.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hey pcpunk! Thanks for the video! Alas, Google Chrome is STILL not showing up in my list of Programs and Features. Both videos you posted (the first and last being the same, I just never watched it the first time) have me do the same thing with the regedit option (though the second video had me go to a lot more places to delete everything Google).

So here's the series of events that have taken place:

Yesterday: I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. MB said I was clean and MSE detected two items that I deleted. I followed the second video and did a thorough wipe of Google on my computer and then shut down my computer for the night (it was late and I didn't want to mess with it any more because I was tired!)

Today: I turn on my computer, go to Internet Explorer, download Google Chrome, then look at Programs and Features....still not there!

So now I am going to try that one Google Cleanup Tool you linked me to way back when and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted! With me luck!!

Thanks!

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users