Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic External Hard Drive Usage Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hello!
I am wondering if this Toshiba Canvio usb 3.0 portable hard drive can be partitioned like a normal hard drive as in this BC tutorial? Also, is it a feasible idea to partition a drive for a Cobian backup on one side and Linux Mint in the other partition? Is that a weird idea? Thank you for any advice!! :flowers:

I am a newbie-type person who is trying to come up with a good backup system and also experiment with learning about Linux by booting from a usb "stick". I was thinking a large external drive might be a better idea than the key fob type usb. Thank you for reading!

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

I am wondering if it is feasible that when booting the computer would recognize the different partitions within the external hard drive as separate drives? I guess that the only way my idea would work?

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#3 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

My gut feeling would be that this idea is risky for a few reasons -

One is that you just said it - your computer has to find the bootable partition in the USB drive from multiple partitions.  Most USB drives I've worked with need to be 1 partition to be read during bootup, and multiple partitions make a mess.  Some computers do better with USB booting than others.  It might work if the bootable partition is in the first part of the drive space (or is most likely to work that way).

I would also want to shy away from overusing your backup hard drive for multiple functions (loading multiple OS, etc) simply because the idea of a backup is safe data, and everytime you plug that sucker in for other reasons you risk it getting corrupted, and thus risk your data.

The third thing is I notice this drive has 'drag and drop' software already installed, so you'd need to at the very least uninstall that software and reformat the drive.  Given the extra software there may be other aspects to the drive that could affect it working.

so, I guess the question is.... Do you feel Lucky? you could learn by doing. (but my gut feeling is keep the USB boot drive and the USB backup drive separate.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users