Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help; Server 2012 Foundation R2 update loop!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Authority

Authority

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

I have a server, WIndows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, that I logged into via Logmein and noticed it hadn't rebooted in 300+ days.  I triggered an update/reboot via Logmein.

For 24 hours it's been in a reboot loop, fir "getting WIndows Ready do not turn off your computer" followed by "Could not update rolling back do not turn off your computer".

The weird part is I can get into the box with Logmein, I can see the dashboard, processes, get a command prompt, etc.

I have tried:

Last known Good Configuration (didn't help)

My options:

Create some kind of boot disk with a Windows 12 download?

Boot into safe mode?

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

That's a known issue when there are that many pending updates. Did any of the pending updates successfully install? How many are there?

If you can, try installing the updates one at a time, or if there are a lot of them, in small batches. Some updates rely on previous updates, so trying to install them all at once can fail.

If all else fails, insert an installation disk and do a startup repair.

#3 Authority

Authority
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

That's a known issue when there are that many pending updates. Did any of the pending updates successfully install? How many are there?

If you can, try installing the updates one at a time, or if there are a lot of them, in small batches. Some updates rely on previous updates, so trying to install them all at once can fail.

If all else fails, insert an installation disk and do a startup repair.

Thanks for the reply.

I was (stupidly) under the impression the updates would apply and install, I now realize of course it wouldn't reboot on its own like a desktop OS.

So what do I do now?   I can't get into the system or login to do anything.  I am not sure if I can log into a safe mode or command prompt and try to uninstall.  I guess that should be next?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

On servers, updates are something you need to schedule and monitor monthly; you wouldn't want the server to just randomly reboot -- especially if it's a domain controller -- because users and services will be disrupted. Is this a production server?

Can you get into the Windows Recovery Environment? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825173.aspx

Once there, go the command prompt and enter "wmic gfe list" (without the quotes) to get a list of the updates that are installed. You can then type wusa /uninstall /kb:<kbnumber> to uninstall individual updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/934307

Unfortunately, there's no way to uninstall updates in bulk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users