Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hilarious Cobian Backup 11 Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

So, I had some computer problems a bit ago and was instructed by someone here to backup my mess with Cobian or something similar before proceeding with the fix. I did not have a sizable usb stick at the time but I did have a huge stack of rewritable cds(or dvds?). So I set up Cobian to backup to the dvd drive and all seemed to be going well. I had less than 5 gigs of info to burn and thought this wouldn't take long. However, Cobian, very industriously, used 23 cds before I had to go to work or get fired and I quit the install.
Obviously, I need a decently sized usb stick.  :whistle:

But how many gigs should I buy?? I don't remember how much memory was on each cd but I'm quite sure there were 5 gigs altogether in the 23. So...was I doing something else wrong? Should the usb stick have more gigs than is needed for the backup?? Will the same problem happen again with the usb stick? :scratchhead:  Have you ever heard of such a goofy problem? :blush:

Anyway, many thanks if you can help, because I really want to get on a proper adult backup schedule. I never seem to get this right. :guitar:

[Edited for horrible spelling]

Edited by Ubiq, 01 August 2015 - 03:19 PM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Getting closer to being able to make a usb purchase for this backup. Any thoughts on what I was doing wrong would be appreciated.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:20 AM

You don't say how large your HD is, or what you're backing up. If you're backing up everything, then you'll back up whatever is causing your problem. I always back up my documents, photos and any important files that I can think of or find that are not in those to directories. (Such as game saves that are not in documents) So, if you have 5 gig of files to back up, get at least 8 gig flash drive. That gives you a little extra space just in case. That's my advice.. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

You don't say how large your HD is, or what you're backing up.

Hi Wildabeast, thank you for posting!  :hello:

Sorry if my post was confusing. Here is the quote form my post where I mention the size of the directories I chose for Cobian backup:
"I had less than 5 gigs of info to burn and thought this wouldn't take long. However, Cobian, very industriously, used 23 cds before I had to go to work or get fired and I quit the install."

Because Cobian is only letting me choose certain files(some are greyed out :scratchhead: ), and not others, I haven't been able to back up my whole hd with it yet.

Also, I guess I need to add my hd size to my sig? Should I include it elsewhere when posting questions? Thank you if you can help me ask my questions better. Its always good when I can get feedback on things!

I did eventually use Cobian to backup some files to external hd I just bought, but I haven't tried to recover them yet to see if it worked. I'm still a little worried that I didn't do it correctly because I don't see any reason that some files would be greyed out.

I would be happy to post a screenshot if anyone is interested.

I've been at work the past couple of days, so I haven't had time to really read carefully about this, but I wonder if DriveImage XML might be better for my needs??

Edited by Ubiq, 06 August 2015 - 02:10 PM.

Speccy

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

I tried to use Cobian once, years ago, never could get it to work. So I forked out a few bucks and now I use Acronis.

When I mentioned your HD size, I wondered because you said " I had less than 5 gigs of info to burn" so I wasn't sure if you had a small HD.

I've never used Driveimage XML so I can't offer an opinion on it. But, I didn't care for Cobian. Long story short, I say use a larger flash drive than the amount you're backing up to be sure you have the space, just in case. I have a 3 TB external drive that's hooked up to my computer. I have 2 drives that total around 800 GB so the external gives me room for incremental backups.

Sorry I couldn't help more than just giving you my opinion. :blink: 

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Thank you! That is very helpful!  :love4u:  I might have to try Acronis because I keep getting problems with backing up no matter what I try.

-Cobian has acted like it works, finally, after I bought a 1T Seagate external drive. But how do you test such a thing? Will it restore files to a test folder? The Restore section is missing in the tutorial and the Cobian website is thin on details, so I guess I have to send an email and hope someone at Cobian has nothing much to do this Monday.

-DriveImage XML appeared to spend 3 hours working well and then froze and crashed when it got to the 100% mark. :rolleyes: It's folder on the external drive is suspiciously small now. I guess I'll try again, but I won't have 3 hours to baby this machine this weekend. My guess abut what went wrong is that it went into sleep mode even though I turned that off before I started?

-Last resort Windows Backup and Restore has this infuriating click through interface that won't allow me to change the drive I want to backup to from the DVD drive to the Seagate external drive.  :wacko: 

This is why non-computer people don't backup their systems. It's too hard.

But I have to figure this out. If it kills me. :axe:

Speccy

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

If you are using an external hard drive there is an even simpler way to back up data, use Windows Explorer. You should have an icon for it on the taskbar since you are running Win 7, if not - 'Start - Programs - Accessories - Win Explorer'.

Connect the external drive, open Windows Explorer and just 'drag and drop' the files and folders you wish to back up to the external drive. No compression, no additional software required. If you need to restore this data, you just use Windows Explorer again to move it back.

If your figure of 5GB is reasonably correct, I don't understand the '23 CDs'. 5GB equates to 2 DVDs (they hold about 4.5 GBs each) or 8 CDs (they usually hold between 700 and 800 MB). If you insist on using CD/DVDs then just use a CD/DVD burner to create the discs. Again no compression and the data can just be copied back if yoou need to. I use 'BurnAware' for this sort of task but there are plenty of other freeware burners if you google for them.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Chris Cosgrove! I do have some copies of my files that I've done myself, but everyone always says to use a special backup program so I wanted to do that for extra protection.

Also would be nice to get a system image.

Anyway, yes, the 23 cds was super weird. I should have just stopped the program after the third or fourth one, but I don't know too much about computers. Trying to learn though! :blush:

Speccy

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

But how do you test such a thing? Will it restore files to a test folder?

'Restore' may be in a separate tutorial. But you are absolutely correct, you have to test a backup to make sure that it does work. It is too late when the data has fallen off your main drive and you go to do a restore from your back up to discover it won't restore !

Simplest way to do it ?  Create a 'Temporary' folder on your hard drive, copy/paste some files into it, then back up the folder to your external drive. Then delete the files from the temporary folder, run the 'restore' function and see if all the files are put back. If they are, great. If they aren't, try again and work out what you are doing wrong. Once you have got the process working properly make notes of how you do it and do it a few times to make sure you have understood it.

This of course is the advantage of the simplistic method I use, there is no software involved except the computer's own operating system. the files are not compressed, they are merely copies of the files on my computer's hard drives. This method however secures data but it will not make an image of your system.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users