Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS2 HDD Is recognized but not seen as online by my PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 INNATE7

INNATE7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hello! I just really need help with this, I've been trying for a couple days now to solve an issue with this new Sony PS2 HDD I've bought. I am using and IDE to USb adapter to connect it to my PC. (Running the New Windows 10). I have it plugged in and I can feel the disk inside spinning along wwith that My computer picks it up as Disk 1 in disk management, but the disk is not shown as online like the internal drive in my PC. If anyone could Please Help, Itd be extremely appreciated! Thank you!

(There is a picture below showing my issue, Thank you again!)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

The PS2 uses a proprietary file system that Windows cannot read or detect. It would be like Windows trying to read a linux partition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_File_System

Edit: See this page. It shows transfering images from the PC to the PS2. The software may have a function to transfer to the PC but I don't know.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#3 INNATE7

INNATE7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for responding and the site should definitley help, I just had a question on how to execute the process. So what I got is that I need to plug the hard drive into the PS2 expansion bay, but what do I use to connect it to my PC? Most tutorials Ive seen on this have the Hard drive just directly hooked into their PC (Its a Sony made IDE specifically for the PS2 btw) 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

I am assuming you have the HDD removed from the Sony and attached to the computer via the USB adapter. I am not sure if the software, WinHIIP, can be used to transfer files from the PS2 HDD to the PC. From the link it shows the software being used to transfer an image from the PC to the Sony HDD via a USB enclosure. Download and install WinHIIP. With the Sony HDD attached to your PC open WinHIIP. Let is scan it HDD's. You should see your PS2 HDD in the dropdown box after you press Select Drive. What are you trying to do with the Sony HDD? Transfer files from it to the PC? You may get a better answer using the GCN forum.

Edit: Not sure why my spacing is like this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#5 INNATE7

INNATE7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Yes, Ia m am attempting to use winHIIP to format my drive and transfer files to it, the problem is my PC recognizes it at a drive but does not see it as online and does not display the unallocated disk space (40GB), so along with that winHIIP cannot detect it either

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

I think you could a better response for this question over in the GCN forum. If nothing happens there come back here and PM me if I do not respond.

#7 INNATE7

INNATE7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Okay, Thank you very much for your help though, and sorry for being a bit of a bother. And I might be back to ask you questions again, sorry.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

No bother. You may want to take a look at this video. Are you trying to transfer game saves or whole games? If you are wanting to format the HDD, I am not sure you could do that in windows if it requires a Playstation File System unless the drive is simply used for storage but I don't have much experience with game consoles. Good Luck.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2015 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users