Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning apps won't recognize media

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DPaulku

DPaulku

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

My Win7pro desktop was left on overnight last week and in the AM it would not wake up.  It was still running but dead.  I powered off at the switch and restarted... nothing.  No flickers, no sound, just an occasional red HD active lamp flicker.  I did this several times with the same result.  I unplugged everything, took the box to "The Computer Guy" for some diagnostic help, and as soon as he powered everything up, BOOM, the system was alive and well.  "That's a head scratcher." says I.  "Did you unplug the power cord from the wall?" says he.  Well, no, I didn't.  Isn't OFF off?  Apparently not.  Something apparently stays powered when the fans etc are not running and keeping things confused.  Who knew.

The next day I went to burn a DVD and some CDs for my "old" friends.  The burner was seen by windows and will respond to eject commands but none of my burning apps was able to see any media.  They just keep running in search mode till I kill the program.

I fumbled around unloading and loading the driver that Windoz says was running and current.  I did some searches on the intertubes for the problem but nothing matched my situation.  My next move is to haul it back to "The Computer Guy" and see what it is that I'm obviously doing wrong.

ed to add: In the shop we didn't even open the case.  Before I took it in, I opened it and powered it up to see if a fan was dead or if there was some where obvious indicating that the smoke had gotten out.  All seemed as it should be... after I cleaned it up a bit with some canned air.  Canned air, what a concept!

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by DPaulku, 01 August 2015 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Wow, looks like a great tool, Louis... for someone who knows what they're seeing! (Not me obviously).

I have a pet peeve about cluttering message boards with pages worth of copied text.  I can attach a file if you like, otherwise I'll paste away.

In  the mean time, here's the Specs....

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YmBMIecl1YEpv4BtsYJQgXZ

A quick, "novice", scan of the Optical Drive status indicates MEDIA LOADED = FALSE... which is a big fat lie and the root of my troubles perhaps.

Thanks for taking a moment with this.

PS... why is Chrome now installed?  What did I miss?

Edited by DPaulku, 01 August 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#4 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

Seems that we can only attach a file in an original post.  I thought I could edit a post and add an attachment.

The attached .txt file is the MiniToolBox report that Louis requested.

HTH

Attached Files

#5 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Well, this is a bit embarrassing.  I broke down and finally opened the case and discovered that the data cable from the media drive was loose.  Once tightened up, things returned to normal. 

Thanks, Louis, for taking the time to show me those two diagnostic tools.  I like them. What would really help is if there was something in the reports that pointed to the sloppy data cable connection.  I'd like to see what that error looks like. 

Thanks again.

You can lock this up...

Edited by DPaulku, 03 August 2015 - 11:50 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

:thumbup2: , glad you resolved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users