Sorry about the delay. I made the mistake of looking at the Event Viewer and am I ever sorry I did that. I'm no expert at this but I can often figure the source of an error even if I can't correct it. This time it was a real mess with errors I have never seen before. Bear with me while I fill in some details on just this problem.
Yes this is that old dinosaur. I have kept using it because it has kept working and it has worked in Windows 10 but only for a few minutes at a time. It worked after the initial install for a few minutes and again after a problem shutting down and restarting. The .exe program runs in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 3. It has several source files (not compiled) that provide C parameters and coding. The program runs and sets up the display and all provided parameters correctly. It just does not detect the echo from the ping. A manual ping from the CMD environment is also not returned.
After my shut down problem, it took 3 power OFF/ON cycles before the computer re-booted. On the restart, netmon ran for about a minute and then stopped getting the echo.I went immediately to the Event Viewer and got these warning and errors:
Warning Mon, Aug, 3, 2015 12:02:08 AM DNS Client Events 1014 (1014)
Name resolution for the name skyapi.live.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
It didn't record the actual bootup time, but this was very shortly after and is the first record for this boot.
The next entry was the first error:
Error Mon, Aug, 3, 2015 12:03:11 AM DistributedCOM 10016 None
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Between this error at 12:03:11 and 12:03:33 it generated 37 more copies of this error and none after that. The interesting here is the interval between the warning and the first error is 63 seconds which would be about the length of time I saw the program run. There is obviously something starting up that blocks the ping. I think because it does start, there should be some way of keeping it going. If it wasn't so useful to me, I wouldn't bother.
My computer is an off-the-shelf Dell N5040 laptop purchased about a month before the release of Windows 8 and came with the free upgrade coupon..
Edited by suti, 04 August 2015 - 07:48 PM.