Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Or TV?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

I am recently been thinking of buying new Display machine for watching movies Tv shows and all
But can't decide should i buy a new Brand new TV or Go with a Monitor
Now let me share my main concern and the way i interpret which one to buy
First TV, I think i might go with 32 Inch FHD TV as my room going to be not much spacey and i wanna put it in my Bedroom but my main concern with TV is compatibility problems ..concerning how tHese days compression tech changing and many start follow H265 which not many TVs compatible and same go with animes which usually wont play on simple TVs on USB playback ..i was thinking of connecting my Laptop with TV but it has no HDMI port its pretty old with screen resolution of 1068.720 i guess with AR 16:10 ..so u get ideA how old it is and If i buy new monitor ..32 inch FHD ..i have same issue no HDMI port but even if i connect my Laptop with either of them ..IDK if it affects the quality as scaling issue ..
So please anyone ..
Can U recommend me what should I do ..i wanna play all Type of media ..which is a big problem with TV on the other hand i should try buying a New monItor but if i do so ..i dont think my laptop would be compaTible with it and even If I buy a new Monitor..do i think I should invest a little bit more and create a media based rig which can play any type of media of any resolution without delays or any Hiccups no..frame drop during movies or no stuttering ..which my laptop usually shows when it plays FHD Videos as it is 7 years Old And if u going to recommend me any new rig could U specify how much it going to cost a cpu wHich can play any media
PleAse anyone recommend me ..what option should i choose or Any alternate other than my suggested ..any idea welcome(If u hve any good tv or monitor in mind ..plz feel free to share)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:01 PM

Not really sure what you're asking, but I'll try to cover as much as I can. 

Your laptop probably has VGA out video.

vga_in.jpg

There are TVs and computer monitors that still accept the aging format. Your laptop (if it does have the connector) should be able to use any FHD TV/monitor that has one of these at FHD (1920 x 1080). However, you seem to imply that your computer(s?) makes FHD video lag or otherwise unplayable. So that'd make the whole thing irrelevant anyways. 

First TV, I think i might go with 32 Inch FHD TV as my room going to be not much spacey and i wanna put it in my Bedroom but my main concern with TV is compatibility problems ..concerning how tHese days compression tech changing and many start follow H265 which not many TVs compatible and same go with animes which usually wont play on simple TVs on USB playback .

(I think) you ask about a TV that can play H265 formatted videos to get around that. H265 is a pretty new format/standard so not a lot of devices out side of desktops/laptops can play them. You can convert those videos on a laptop/desktop through software the can turn them into a MP4 or other compatible format to make them playable. Same goes for whatever format your anime is in. Converting them, especially on a aging computer, will take a very long time to do if you have a lot of video you want to play. 

Point is. There is no TV, smart TV or otherwise, that can play all formats of video.

TV or Monitor for media consumption- differences

TV: TVs will generally cost more then a monitor. TVs have a massive range of inputs for all kinds of devices on them while also having attached speakers. All the hardware that has to be put in them to make the compatible with those inputs is the main part of what makes them cost more. On top of that, like you mentioned, newer models tend to have USB port inputs for watching movies off flash drives or viewing pictures. There are even "smart" TVs, which means they can access Netflix and do all that generic browsing type stuff that a cheap smart phone can do. 

Monitor: Monitors are cheaper comparatively for raw spec IE the resolution. They're more power efficient to as they're torn down to the bare essentials of a screen. However most only have two of four different inputs, HDMI, DVI, VGA, or Display port and most don't have any speakers on them. Meaning you're going to cough up extra for either a model that does, or buy separate speakers to use to watch movies. 

Can U recommend me what should I do ..i wanna play all Type of media

Ok, I think this is the core question that you're asking. 

do i think I should invest a little bit more and create a media based rig which can play any type of media of any resolution without delays or any Hiccups no..frame drop during movies or no stuttering .

Sadly, that is the best option as it sounds like all your current machines are to out of date to do this and there are no pre-built computers that do this for even a remotely reasonable price. That is if you want it compatible with all types of modern media.

All the weird file formats? Yep.

Quad layer Blu-ray discs? Yep.

4k 60FPS videos of any format? Yes.

Wireless access for Netflix, YouTube, ECT- yes

Only way to get all those at once is out of a custom built set top box PC. Price of the box would be somewhere around 400$ once built. It would use HDMI, and if you don't have a TV that has HDMI then you'd have to get one. Cheap ones are around 150$-ish @ 24 inches, and the 32 inch ones start at about 220$-ish. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

Not really sure what you're asking, but I'll try to cover as much as I can. 

Your laptop probably has VGA out video.
vga_in.jpg

There are TVs and computer monitors that still accept the aging format. Your laptop (if it does have the connector) should be able to use any FHD TV/monitor that has one of these at FHD (1920 x 1080). However, you seem to imply that your computer(s?) makes FHD video lag or otherwise unplayable. So that'd make the whole thing irrelevant anyways. 

First TV, I think i might go with 32 Inch FHD TV as my room going to be not much spacey and i wanna put it in my Bedroom but my main concern with TV is compatibility problems ..concerning how tHese days compression tech changing and many start follow H265 which not many TVs compatible and same go with animes which usually wont play on simple TVs on USB playback .

(I think) you ask about a TV that can play H265 formatted videos to get around that. H265 is a pretty new format/standard so not a lot of devices out side of desktops/laptops can play them. You can convert those videos on a laptop/desktop through software the can turn them into a MP4 or other compatible format to make them playable. Same goes for whatever format your anime is in. Converting them, especially on a aging computer, will take a very long time to do if you have a lot of video you want to play. 

Point is. There is no TV, smart TV or otherwise, that can play all formats of video.

TV or Monitor for media consumption- differences
TV: TVs will generally cost more then a monitor. TVs have a massive range of inputs for all kinds of devices on them while also having attached speakers. All the hardware that has to be put in them to make the compatible with those inputs is the main part of what makes them cost more. On top of that, like you mentioned, newer models tend to have USB port inputs for watching movies off flash drives or viewing pictures. There are even "smart" TVs, which means they can access Netflix and do all that generic browsing type stuff that a cheap smart phone can do. 

Monitor: Monitors are cheaper comparatively for raw spec IE the resolution. They're more power efficient to as they're torn down to the bare essentials of a screen. However most only have two of four different inputs, HDMI, DVI, VGA, or Display port and most don't have any speakers on them. Meaning you're going to cough up extra for either a model that does, or buy separate speakers to use to watch movies. 

Can U recommend me what should I do ..i wanna play all Type of media

Ok, I think this is the core question that you're asking. 

do i think I should invest a little bit more and create a media based rig which can play any type of media of any resolution without delays or any Hiccups no..frame drop during movies or no stuttering .

Sadly, that is the best option as it sounds like all your current machines are to out of date to do this and there are no pre-built computers that do this for even a remotely reasonable price. That is if you want it compatible with all types of modern media.
All the weird file formats? Yep.
Quad layer Blu-ray discs? Yep.
4k 60FPS videos of any format? Yes.
Wireless access for Netflix, YouTube, ECT- yes

Only way to get all those at once is out of a custom built set top box PC. Price of the box would be somewhere around 400$ once built. It would use HDMI, and if you don't have a TV that has HDMI then you'd have to get one. Cheap ones are around 150$-ish @ 24 inches, and the 32 inch ones start at about 220$-ish.

First of all my he artiest thanks to u for giving me such a detailed reply..people like u helps a lot to tech enthusiasts like me
After posting this same question on various forums and using my own understanding I guess..i have to make a cpu tower and wuth ur so precise info..i think it's clear i am going with monitor because I was thinking of buying external speakers anyway

But now my main question is..would u help me or recommend me what things or kind of specs I should buy for a new cpu to play media files..without any stutter Or lag
I meant a little bit idea of how much ram, what processor or for my Media need..should i buy a graphic card or processor IGPU is sufficient for my needs
I am not thinking of playing any games but I may install fifa or pes..so please can u give ur views on this topic also
This is my other complementary thread regarding this thread..which with ur expert opinion might help me a lot

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584877/which-has-better-integrated-gpuintel-or-amd/

Edited by maxxxgupta007, 02 August 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

I am not thinking of playing any games but I may install fifa or pes..so please can u give ur views on this topic also

May I ask which FIFA and PES?

i have to make a cpu tower and wuth ur so precise info..

I meant a little bit idea of how much ram, what processor or for my Media need..should i buy a graphic card or processor IGPU is sufficient for my needs

First major question to that: Are you comfortable with custom building? 

Do you want it to be small form factor, or do you not care about the size and just want whichever is cheaper? Size difference being that a small form factor case is somewhere around 3" x 11" x 13" and a regular sized cheap case is around 7" x 14" x 15".

Everything you want can be done on a small form factor, but small form factor parts tend to cost a bit more. Not all the innards have to be small form factor specific to fit, but the ones that do generally cost anywhere 20% to 60% more depending on what it is (or might just not exist in that small of a form). Just an example, a 400$ build might turn into a 550$ build to make it that small, just an example.

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584877/which-has-better-integrated-gpuintel-or-amd/

Already posted there :P 

Didn't even connect the username as the same poster. AMD straight out has better integrated. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:47 AM

May I ask which FIFA and PES?

i have to make a cpu tower and wuth ur so precise info..

First major question to that: Are you comfortable with custom building? 

Do you want it to be small form factor, or do you not care about the size and just want whichever is cheaper? Size difference being that a small form factor case is somewhere around 3" x 11" x 13" and a regular sized cheap case is around 7" x 14" x 15".

Everything you want can be done on a small form factor, but small form factor parts tend to cost a bit more. Not all the innards have to be small form factor specific to fit, but the ones that do generally cost anywhere 20% to 60% more depending on what it is (or might just not exist in that small of a form). Just an example, a 400$ build might turn into a 550$ build to make it that small, just an example.

Already posted there :P 
Didn't even connect the username as the same poster. AMD straight out has better integrated.

AMD A4-7300 = $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Celeron G1820 = $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went to other forum and there is some guy suggested these two processors for my need but when I told them about little bit gaming they suggested same AMD processor as u suggested currently at this time that processor is not much available in my country and i find it 30$ expensive as it is in dollars conversion So I will wait a little bit about 3 months for better availability
But I definitely keeping this on my list and I also read that Intel 5th gen processors have really good IGPU so do u think i should look into them also and their 6th gen is also near to release ( I guess..not sure about this )
And if I buy this processor u mentioned..do u think i should buy a graphic card with it?
And no size factor not much of a issue but suppose if i buy this same processor..how much in total it is going to cost me a whole rig around that processor..no fancy cases..but if it get hot..i think i should invest a little bit in better cooler as u and that other guy posted in other thread of mine ( thanx for reply there )

Edited by maxxxgupta007, 02 August 2015 - 02:48 AM.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:09 AM

currently at this time that processor is not much available in my country and i find it 30$ expensive as it is in dollars conversion So I will wait a little bit about 3 months for better availability

Meant to ask that next. What country are you buying in? Your profile doesn't say and you didn't tell use. 

Try the A10-7850k. It's the same exact chip as the 7870k, but clocked a bit lower and has been out much longer and thus has wider stock availability. Does 850 GFLOPs instead of 900 GPU side.

I went to other forum and there is some guy suggested these two processors for my need but when I told them about little bit gaming they suggested same AMD processor as u suggested

Yeah the gaming bit bumps it up outside the abilities of those two. Granted I'm unsure if either of those two can handle 4k or 60fps content.... Off topic I guess.

But I definitely keeping this on my list and I also read that Intel 5th gen processors have really good IGPU so do u think i should look into them also and their 6th gen is also near to release ( I guess..not sure about this )

About that. There is a long bit of backstory concerning the release of the their 5th gen consumer line. Important bit though is that it is near impossible to find them, and when you do they are extremely overpriced.

I live in the US and they're a real pain to find. On top of that, they use Iris graphics, which aren't strong enough to play FIFA 15 (I assume that's the variant you meant? you still never specified). 

Like- this is the only US amazon listing for it.

It costs 380$ and the A10-7870K @ 150$ is still better then it at playing video games. I can guarantee no store near you has/will ever stock the chip. 

how much in total it is going to cost me a whole rig around that processor..

Again, depends on where you live. 

#7 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:20 AM

currently at this time that processor is not much available in my country and i find it 30$ expensive as it is in dollars conversion So I will wait a little bit about 3 months for better availability

Meant to ask that next. What country are you buying in? Your profile doesn't say and you didn't tell use. 

Try the A10-7850k. It's the same exact chip as the 7870k, but clocked a bit lower and has been out much longer and thus has wider stock availability. Does 850 GFLOPs instead of 900 GPU side.

I went to other forum and there is some guy suggested these two processors for my need but when I told them about little bit gaming they suggested same AMD processor as u suggested

Yeah the gaming bit bumps it up outside the abilities of those two. Granted I'm unsure if either of those two can handle 4k or 60fps content.... Off topic I guess.

About that. There is a long bit of backstory concerning the release of the their 5th gen consumer line. Important bit though is that it is near impossible to find them, and when you do they are extremely overpriced.
I live in the US and they're a real pain to find. On top of that, they use Iris graphics, which aren't strong enough to play FIFA 15 (I assume that's the variant you meant? you still never specified). 
Like- this is the only US amazon listing for it.
It costs 380$ and the A10-7870K @ 150$ is still better then it at playing video games. I can guarantee no store near you has/will ever stock the chip. 

how much in total it is going to cost me a whole rig around that processor..

Again, depends on where you live.

I love in india and i created my profile yesternight so totally forgot to update profile as busy today a lot just checking in comments
And i just checked 7850..although it is widely available but it cost near about same as 7870 so I guess I should wait one 7870 k become mainstream maybe they reduce 7850 price and If i don't find any considerable price difference I might go with 7870 because it looks promising and u could tell me how much this media rig with normal gaming cost in terms of us price..i think in my country..it will not be more than 100$ difference and could u answer me this question if i use 7870k then do I have to buy additional graphic card?
And any other things which I should keep in mind when buying components for Pc..if i calculate my budget for cpu only would be 400$ if i have to stretch 430$ otherwise not more than that which would be equivalent to 350$ as of ur country..i wanna keep some money safe for monitor and speakers..so if u could recommend me rough sketch how much I should invest in each component of cpu..that would be big help

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:55 AM

Oh India! That would explain the English.

u could tell me how much this media rig with normal gaming cost in terms of us price..i think in my country..it will not be more than 100$ difference 

Ok, but I can almost guarantee half the parts won't be sold in India.

and could u answer me this question if i use 7870k then do I have to buy additional graphic card?

You would not need a additional card if you got that to play Fifa 15. 

.if i calculate my budget for cpu only would be 400$ if i have to stretch 430$ otherwise not more than that which would be equivalent to 350$ as of ur country..i wanna keep some money safe for monitor and speakers..so if u could recommend me rough sketch how much I should invest in each component of cpu..that would be big help

Are you saying you don't want it to be over 350$ USD? I'm confused. 

Case 30$ USD

PSU 30$ USD

HDD 50$ USD

Blu-ray player 45$ USD

CPU 150$ USD

RAM (needs to be DRR3, dual channel, 8GB total, and 2133 or faster) 50$ USD

Motherboard 48$ USD

Quality wireless card 38$

Copy of windows- 100$

Total- 541$ USD. 

The whole gaming aspect really makes it quite expensive over a simple media player. A media player can use a free Linux OS like Ubuntu to play media instead of windows being required for playing FIFA 15 (you still never specified which variant). A media player also doesn't need as much RAM or as strong of a CPU/GPU.  Just as a media player it would've been around 350$. 

#9 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

Oh India! That would explain the English.

u could tell me how much this media rig with normal gaming cost in terms of us price..i think in my country..it will not be more than 100$ difference

Ok, but I can almost guarantee half the parts won't be sold in India.

and could u answer me this question if i use 7870k then do I have to buy additional graphic card?

You would not need a additional card if you got that to play Fifa 15. 

.if i calculate my budget for cpu only would be 400$ if i have to stretch 430$ otherwise not more than that which would be equivalent to 350$ as of ur country..i wanna keep some money safe for monitor and speakers..so if u could recommend me rough sketch how much I should invest in each component of cpu..that would be big help

Are you saying you don't want it to be over 350$ USD? I'm confused. 

Case 30$ USD
PSU 30$ USD
HDD 50$ USD
Blu-ray player 45$ USD
CPU 150$ USD
RAM (needs to be DRR3, dual channel, 8GB total, and 2133 or faster) 50$ USD
Motherboard 48$ USD
Quality wireless card 38$
Copy of windows- 100$

Total- 541$ USD. 

The whole gaming aspect really makes it quite expensive over a simple media player. A media player can use a free Linux OS like Ubuntu to play media instead of windows being required for playing FIFA 15 (you still never specified which variant). A media player also doesn't need as much RAM or as strong of a CPU/GPU.  Just as a media player it would've been around 350$.
That 350$ mark just for cpu tower and not include other accessories..and agree with u gaming making it quite expensive so I might skip it for now and add it later on
And yeah I won't get many of parts in India..but there are many online stores which sell components so making quite easy to get most of parts..
I have used Ubuntu and i really liked it so I might give it a try again as I only need for media purposes but idk about psu requirements for this processor..it say 95W but idk much about how to calculate psu ratings required..so any hint or something?

And is 4gb sufficient as a ram?

Sorry for not specifying fifa version..it was 15 but I may plan to buy fifa 16 in future if my cpu support it without any hitch..otherwise gaming I said was just an additional aspect And i may totally skip it altogether

And please could u tell me about this wireless card? I thought they come embedded in mobo and if i have to buy additional one..do I also have to buy additional sound card or something like that?

Also Is sdd better or should I go with regular hdd and save money?
And
Are these cpu cases are made for general purpose or they differ as mobo are..i saw this process has fm2 socket..does this mean there is any compatible mobo and case as with processor?
Also
Do I need additional cooling system or the fan pics u share on my other thread re sufficient for heat dissipation for this processor?
Sorry if my questions sound totally stupid or naive..its just that I never assembled any Pc before and i am not much of a geek when it comes to Pcs..just a regular tech enthusiast and i want first time building to go as smooth as possible

Edited by maxxxgupta007, 02 August 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

Sorry for not specifying fifa version..it was 15 but I may plan to buy fifa 16 in future if my cpu support it without any hitch..otherwise gaming I said was just an additional aspect And i may totally skip it altogether

And please could u tell me about this wireless card? I thought they come embedded in mobo and if i have to buy additional one..do I also have to buy additional sound card or something like that?

And
Are these cpu cases are made for general purpose or they differ as mobo are..i saw this process has fm2 socket..does this mean there is any compatible mobo and case as with processor?
Also
Do I need additional cooling system or the fan pics u share on my other thread re sufficient for heat dissipation for this processor?

4GB of RAM is more then enough for a media PC. 

Wireless cards generally are not embedded unless they're inside a phone or tablet where everything is. Most desktop boards don't come with a card pre-installed as it's assumed you're going to use a wired connection on it. Laptops come with a card inside them already, but they can be taken out and replaced in 99% of laptops. 

You don't need to buy a additional sound card. Motherboards already have one built in. Some of the more pricey boards have 7.1 surround sound 1/8" jacks built into them if you're into that. 

SSDs make everything feel quicker (IE a 10 sec boot time), but they don't actually effect how well the CPU and GPU do their job. A regular HDD is always a good option to save money. 

The cases are built for general purpose. There are various case sizes that are compatible with various motherboard sizes, and bigger formatted cases can usually still fit a size motherboard below it. That is a Micro ATX case and a Micro ATX motherboard. Common sizes are (from biggest to smallest)-

EATX, ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX, mini ITX, thin mini ITX

ATX and Micro ATX are the two most common sizes. 

Not really, unless you're planning to overclock that it. As long as a case has at least one fan pulling air in and one fan pushing air out then it's fine. 

#11 maxxxgupta007

maxxxgupta007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

And
Also

4GB of RAM is more then enough for a media PC. 

Wireless cards generally are not embedded unless they're inside a phone or tablet where everything is. Most desktop boards don't come with a card pre-installed as it's assumed you're going to use a wired connection on it. Laptops come with a card inside them already, but they can be taken out and replaced in 99% of laptops. 

You don't need to buy a additional sound card. Motherboards already have one built in. Some of the more pricey boards have 7.1 surround sound 1/8" jacks built into them if you're into that. 

SSDs make everything feel quicker (IE a 10 sec boot time), but they don't actually effect how well the CPU and GPU do their job. A regular HDD is always a good option to save money. 

The cases are built for general purpose. There are various case sizes that are compatible with various motherboard sizes, and bigger formatted cases can usually still fit a size motherboard below it. That is a Micro ATX case and a Micro ATX motherboard. Common sizes are (from biggest to smallest)-
EATX, ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX, mini ITX, thin mini ITX
ATX and Micro ATX are the two most common sizes. 

Not really, unless you're planning to overclock that it. As long as a case has at least one fan pulling air in and one fan pushing air out then it's fine.

Please suggest me how much power of psu should i use with this setup?
And i will decide my configuration..in subsequent days..and share with u..please suggest me is it appropriate for my uses

#12 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

Please suggest me how much power of psu should i use with this setup?

And i will decide my configuration..in subsequent days..and share with u..please suggest me is it appropriate for my uses

300 watts or more should be good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users