Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are all these partitions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Upgraded my 8.1 to 10 and it is activated.  Downloaded the .iso file and burned to a disk.  Now I want to do a clean install. Just before I decided to check my partitions to see if I wanted to make any changes and boy was I surprised .  Can I get rid of any of these partitions? I know there are a couple that are necessary, but they can't all be.  I'm especially wondering about the two 450 MB ones after Win 10 and Data Storage Attached File  Capture.JPG   81.99KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hi jfruch1 :)

These are Recovery partitions for the system (Windows). You can safely delete them before clean installing Windows 10 again, since they'll be recreated automatically during the installation.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

Thanks.  I was tempted to just delete those two but decided I better check first.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

All good no worries :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hi jfruch1 :)

These are Recovery partitions for the system (Windows). You can safely delete them before clean installing Windows 10 again, since they'll be recreated automatically during the installation.

Tried to delete them but I get a box with HELP in it when I click on the partition.  The main partitions with Windows 10 and Data Storage have options but not those 450 MB ones.  Weird!

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

jfruch1

Those partitions are probably "protected" partitions which Windows prevents the user from deleting with the Disk Mgmt Console.

You can use "Diskpart" to delete those partitions or, with one command, delete all partitions and unallocate the HDD with Diskart's "clean" command.

To use Diskpart, open an elevated CMD window, or open a "run" dialog and enter   diskpart   in the run dialog field.  That works with Win 7 (run dialog > diskpart) and I believe 8[.1] as well.

Here's an example, using one of my spare Flash Drives (disk 3).  My entries are in black font.  The system return info is in blue .

(once at the DIskpart utility via CMD window or accessing Diskpart directly via the "run" dialog field)

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright © 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: JEFF-PC

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B
  Disk 2    Online          465 GB   100 MB
  Disk 3    Online           14 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 3

Disk 3 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          931 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B
  Disk 2    Online          465 GB   100 MB
* Disk 3    Online           14 GB      0 B

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

I always repeat the "list disk" (or partition) commands to verify that I have selected the correct disk/partition (note the "*" symbol designating the disk or partition is in focus/selected).

You can also delete protected partitions individually using the "delete partition override" command.  Here's an example using the same Flash Drive after I re-created a partition:

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary             14 GB  1024 KB

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
* Partition 1    Primary             14 GB  1024 KB

DISKPART> delete partition override

DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

Once this is done, you might not be able to add the space you freed by deleting them to other partitions via the Windows Disk Management console. You'll have to use a third-party programs, like EaseUS Partition Master Free to do that.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users