Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another tail of invasion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Will we be helping to clean up the security issues in 10, more and more seems to be coming out about how intrusive it is.  I will not load it until much of the Spy on Us is found and fixed!

http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

Meer was underwhelmed with Microsoft executives’ claims of transparency and easily understandable terms of use. “There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes ‘real transparency,’” he wrote.

As the saying goes: It will be a cold day in Hell.....

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

THAT ARTICLE LIES ALSO.  There was no 14 million downloads in two days.  The article's writer is repeating Computerworld article making that claim, but the article is wrong. Source is right here, and notice it's fourteen million since the program STARTED, not in the last one or two days.  The program started nine months ago (back in October, right).  So as of the date of the source's blog, nine+ months later, when Win10 becomes official, there are allegedly fourteen million DEVICES.

Not users, not excluding the five million Insiders + MSFT employees of what -- a million contracted and regular, worlwide?  Each, likely having two devices?  So now look: that fourteen million is much much smaller, so what -- maybe only 1-2 million DEVICES (not users) got activated over the 24 hours...?

THEY WOULDN'T LET ME POST the correction.*

And then there's the Cortana muddle.  Popular pundits gloss over this, whether in Forbes, PC World, PC Mag (even Dvorak!), InfoWorld, ComputerWorld, Business Insider, and of course fanboy Ed Bott in ZDnet.  All of them strangely silent or dismissive about this problem?  And whoever questions it, is shouted down or insulted, as if you're disputing with Mother Church?

This is my #1 reason to be wary.  MSFT should know this is a scary thing. You can turn it off in Group Policy ('Allow Cortana' can disabled).  But why should you have to?  Why not have a central location for turning ALL of it on or off?  Even in Group Policy, there are many places you must go, and they bundle: like turning off the WHOLE camera function will disable, but what if you didn't want to do that?  So it's all or nothing?

=================

*What I tried to post: 

"Article mistake, quote: 'Microsoft’s new Windows 10 operating system is immensely popular, with 14 million downloads in just two days. '  Not true.  The Win10 program had been active since perhaps nine months prior, with five million Insiders and what, maybe a million MSFT employees contract or regular worldwide labor.  So if each has likely two 'devices' for testing and feedback, that alone accounts for 12 million likely 'devices' in operation on Opening day!

So then not 14 million running Windows 10 in the first 24 hours, but what.. 1.5-2 million DEVICES, maybe?  If the total is 14 million by day's end? Running does not mean activated, either.  Activation was a royal problem.

So the article errs by not doing homework on the original blog post here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/30/windows-10-the-first-24-hours/ .  Another article misreading that blog, is here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2955282/operating-systems/microsoft-scores-with-free-windows-10-upgrade-as-downloads-tally-10x-windows-8s-first-day-sales.html

It's true that the Cortana thingy and Privacy defaults are invasive.  So please don't wreck your credibility by getting the very first sentence of the article, so terribly wrong."

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 02:40 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

Actually Forbes and Many Others have concerns!

https://www.google.com/search?q=forbes+security+concerns+windows+10+privacy+concerns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=forbes+windows+10+privacy+concerns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

The Forbes privacy article is back last October.  The other articles aren't about privacy, but about broken drivers and mandatory updates.

Where are the others about privacy concerns, and recent, other than rt?  I'm just asking, not accusing.  It's shocking how silent the press is about this. Forbes shocks me more, since I really like Mr. Kelly and he endorses Win10.

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 02:51 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users