Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 standup2cancer

standup2cancer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

I have a computer with legal window xp pro on my one computer and would like to make a copy disk so I can install it on my second and remove windows seven.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

You are certifiable sir, why would you want to do that. Have you not read the news lately, that was more than a year ago. The long and short of all this is that Micro$oft no longer issue bug or (more importantly) security fixes which to make it as simple as possible :- Windows XP has become the hackers no.1 favourite target. Tell me that you don't actually browse the internet with that machine, please.

If you do however, and you also enjoy a bit of industrial history I can whole heartedly recommend this wikipedia page. This page hopefully will demonstrate what you're facing, and remember these are the openly disclosed issues, not the rainy day fund that people and governments sit on quietly.

This insistence on keeping XP is not funny, when you consider that most of the 12% total OS world share are probably tied to XP for reasons other than stuck in the mud, indeed they often cannot afford the upgrade, or don't have the skills to upgrade to a free safer alternative. So if I offend you, accept my apologies; but why on earth would you down grade from a supported product when there are no discernible merits or gains to be had. If you replaced the nice new engine in your brand new car with an engine from a model 'T' ford, would you expect to be taken seriously?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

To answer your question...I would first have to know the system manufacturer and model...for the system reflecting XP as original install.

Louis

#4 Roffen

Roffen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

Well I just don't know what to think. I love tue user interface of Windows XP, it is just the way that I like it - I don't like any of the new versions from 7 and up.  Especially the search function - I use it a lot but am rather uncomfortable searching for files and folders with Windows 7.

At another forum I found that there are many quite capable computer people that still use XP and will continue to do so. 

But I think it may be a good idea to support and protect with firewall, virus protection and whatever. At a local forum a Linux fan told about how he is using what can be found here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/2ac4qu/raspberry_pi_ad_blocking_proxy_with_privoxy_and/

Seems it mainly is an adblocker but I don't se any reason why it might not be used against malicious intrusion as well.

But in reality, I have no reason to think that my XP computer, online 24/7 has been subjected to any harmful procedures yet. At least nothing bad yet:)

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

What Louis is talking about is if Windows 7 is the original install on the PC, XP might not be compatible. Look, it's your PC. You can go back to XP if you like but you shouldn't. It's not supported anymore and you are better off staying with Windows 7. You can always ask questions on our Windows 7 forum. Your reasons for wanting to stay with XP can best be described as naive. You are sadly mistaken.

#6 standup2cancer

standup2cancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

My system was built with original XP pro and a neighbor install 7 which I really don't like I know a lot of folks say it is no longer supported but that is ok I just want to go back to XP.Thanks

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

@marcoose777, do you want to pay $35 for a pack of hot dogs in your grocery store?  Do you want to pay $50 per gallon of gasoline, or perhaps $100 for a ballpoint pen?  What about $1 million for a track home which in most suburbs today, would otherwise cost $175,000 or so?

See: the reason prices stay low, is because far more than 12% of businesses, are running XP: in fact, hundreds of millions.  Oh?  How?  Well, your average CNC controller, auto parts tester, bank ATM, financial organization, government, all run XP.  Why?  Because Microdaft changed the INTERFACE so that the new programs/people cannot run the old programs which rely on the old procedures in the old interface.  The new OS isn't better, just different.  Not really more secure, since any exposure to the internet puts you at risk. 

But most of these XP machines are NOT on the internet..  They are at Bank ATMs, accepting your deposits so you can pay your bills on time.  They are busy making parts for everything from A-Bolts to Zithers. There's not a thing you own which isn't made in part, by a CNC machine.  These machines cost millions of dollars each (lowest price I've heard is half a million), and they precisely machine parts.  So airplanes and busses and subways work, your car works, your refrigerator works, your shower and games and plumbing and lawn mower work -- all because some CNC machine RUNNING ON XP, made the parts.

Now, if all those machines and ATMs and hospital equipment and so many other things have to be replaced with Windows 7, then ALL that equipment must be replaced, too.  So then everything you touch or use has to double or triple in price, partly because you would have to WAIT to get the 'new' one;  which, won't work any better than the old one, as the new OS doesn't do anything better for these machines versus the old OS.  The new OS is touted for 'internet safety'.  Okay, but these machines don't need that.  So, you pay more for no added value.  Smart businesses who are ethical, don't want you to pay more than needed:  so, they stay on XP.  So, you have more money in your pocket to buy more stuff which is largely made, USING XP.

So see: it's not out of line or relic to stay on XP:  moreover, to keep my prices for my own customers down, I just plug in a Linux stick when I want to surf, keeping my old XP which does a better job, than Win7.  For the only thing that's at risk with XP, is surfing.  Which in Linux is plug and play, so Linux is Windows' best friend.  Keeping your prices down.

You are certifiable sir, why would you want to do that. Have you not read the news lately, that was more than a year ago. The long and short of all this is that Micro$oft no longer issue bug or (more importantly) security fixes which to make it as simple as possible :- Windows XP has become the hackers no.1 favourite target. Tell me that you don't actually browse the internet with that machine, please.

If you do however, and you also enjoy a bit of industrial history I can whole heartedly recommend this wikipedia page. This page hopefully will demonstrate what you're facing, and remember these are the openly disclosed issues, not the rainy day fund that people and governments sit on quietly.

This insistence on keeping XP is not funny, when you consider that most of the 12% total OS world share are probably tied to XP for reasons other than stuck in the mud, indeed they often cannot afford the upgrade, or don't have the skills to upgrade to a free safer alternative. So if I offend you, accept my apologies; but why on earth would you down grade from a supported product when there are no discernible merits or gains to be had. If you replaced the nice new engine in your brand new car with an engine from a model 'T' ford, would you expect to be taken seriously?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 standup2cancer

standup2cancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

For some reason my xp disk was never returned to me so I have no way of reverting back unless i purchase a disk somewhere? I do have another computer which has xp so would I be able to make a disk copy from that one?

Edited by standup2cancer, 03 August 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

I don't think you can do that. The point is you can't go on the internet with XP. Period. it's very naive to try and minimize the risk. The only problem with Linux is the learning curve is steeper than Windows 7. So it could be worse for you. Remember you can change the Windows 7 look to previous versions of Windows. This link tells you how to do that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-vista/change-windows-to-classic-view

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

For some reason my xp disk was never returned to me so I have no way of reverting back unless i purchase a disk somewhere? I do have another computer which has xp so would I be able to make a disk copy from that one?

Are you going to tell us the manufacturer and model of this "other system with XP"?

The simple truth is...if you don't have a Genuine XP install disk...and the "other PC" is made by an OEM and came with XP installed...and the systems are identical exactly regarding components...you can forget about moving the hard drive to another system or copying the installed O/S.to another system.  That license is tied to the system on which XP was preinstalled and is non-transferable.  That's part of the system purchase agreement.

Louis

#11 Selrahcgnol

Selrahcgnol

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

I know MS is not supporting XP, but there is a large user group out there. If MS put out a feeler there might be enough interest to get crowd support and actually hire somebody to keep a forum with some info going. Obviously MS has a lot of documentation that it is not releasing, and one person on the inside could possibly post info and other tidbits. That person could not possibly answer mail or phone, but could do more or less what these forums do, manage user support. I have XP and I only plug into the net for a few seconds, get what my tablet tells me I need and quickly disconnect. Since that, have had no problems.

#12 Roffen

Roffen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:14 AM

I bought a copy of an OEM XPSP3 version from someone, he included two stickers with registration codes. I have used it several times over the years, and now it seems i can install without entering the code.

I was even able to repair the disk; the 'DRIVER(S?)' folder under i386 was corrupted, so I copied the entire contents, inserted a DRIVER file from a different XP CD, and burned it all to a new CD, and now I have a new bootable XP disk. I guessed that a larger, and rpresumabl newer DRIVERS file would contain all that was required and it ssem my hunch was right.

Since XP har long been discontinued by MS, it seems that registration codes are not required and I have no problems using any of the different copies that I have.

I don't think MS need shed any tears over a few nostalgic XP lovers out there. I love the user interface and seriously, I have yet to experience any threats from the outside. I use Firefox with NoScript.

Besides, at MSFN I found mention of ongoing work to create some unofficial, new "Service pack" versions, SP4.

Edited by Roffen, 11 September 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

Frankly, I can't see the newer operating systems as "upgrades", yet. Why am I still using XP? Maybe simply because it works, it's simple, and I like it the way it is? I do have a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 machine, but I hate them. I spend more time on XP.

I doubt the average Joe is that much safer with the new operating systems... Since the end of XP's support, the XP forum sections are deserted. However, the Windows 7, 8 and 10 forums get plenty of threads daily. Microsoft hasn't really made it better or easier... And look at the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" forum. See a lot of XP machines in there? Still, the Malware Removal forums are jam-packed everywhere, as always. No operating system can protect against plain stupid. There are ways to make XP secure, even for browsing. It's not 100%, but what OS is?

Windows XP has become the hackers no.1 favourite target.

I doubt hackers would be wasting time on the few remaining XP users when there's that massive Windows 7-8.1-10 flock of sheep out there, most of them not computer savvy at all, still not paying attention to what they're downloading and installing, or to what sites they're visiting, and how to protect themselves adequately...

What Louis is talking about is if Windows 7 is the original install on the PC, XP might not be compatible. Look, it's your PC. You can go back to XP if you like but you shouldn't. It's not supported anymore and you are better off staying with Windows 7. You can always ask questions on our Windows 7 forum. Your reasons for wanting to stay with XP can best be described as naive. You are sadly mistaken.

And who started this whole campaign of terror on April 8, 2014? Someone who had a lot to gain from it... Most so-called or wannabe "security experts" out there trying to patronize us are simply "quoting" Microsoft... Who's really naive?

Edited by Phantom010, 11 September 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Topic has been answered and the comments now have nothing to do with the original question posed.