Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet another dumb network question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Hi everyone,

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I have very limited knowledge regarding networking, so please bear with yet another dumb question.  :blush:

I currently have a myriad of wireless devices in my home consisting of G, N, and AC adapters.  After a great deal of research I have decided to purchase a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router.  That router seems to offer the best combination of speed and connectivity for my use.  My question is this . . . after I disconnect my old router (D-Link DIR-655); do I have to do anything to the computers and other devices to make them forget the old settings?  I see on one computer running Windows 7 there is an option to forget this network.  Is that something I must/should do?

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC3200-Tri-Band-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G

Sorry for the dumb question, but I want to do this the right way.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mur123

mur123

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi Malware Mutilator,

This really depends on how you setup your new router. For example, if you gave the new router the same SSID as your old one, along with the same passphrase/key, then it would be a seamless changeover for all your devices, as they would simply connect to the same wifi network, using the same password and continue as normal.

I hope this helps,

Mur

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi Mur,

Thank you for your answer.  Yes, it does help a lot.  My only concern is that having two bands available now, (or actually three as I understand the new router has), I think I may have to assign different SSID’s to each band, although I am not sure yet.  So, for example, let’s say that my laptop is still on my old router, on the 2.4 GHz band, using “hello” as the SSID.  Now I install the new router, I use “hello” as the SSID for the 2.4 GHz band, and I use “goodbye” as the SSID for the 5 GHz band.  Now, if that laptop is capable of connecting to the 5 GHz band, would I just look for my network on the computer and enter the “goodbye” SSID, and then it would/should connect, or would I have to change something in the computer?  I don’t really understand what the computer stores as far as network settings, etc.

I hope I didn’t confuse you.  And of course I would never use SSID’s as simple as those, but that was just for simplicity.

Thank you again for your help.  :thumbup2:

#4 mur123

mur123

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

Hi Mal,

This is totally dependant on the wifi transmitter/access point side of your router. I'm not overly familiar with that model, but I have used ones that just transmit the one ssid for all bands, and with these, your laptop will automatically decide which band to use. If you have a router that provides both (and can do so at the same time, as some only give one or the other) and they need different ssid's then just proceed as you mentioned with the Hello/Goodbye setup.

The computer stores a list of all known and configured networks that it has ever connected to, so dont concern yourself too much with these. Mine has over 20 known networks, and no problems with any of them.

On the choice of SSID's, there is nothing wrong with your mentioned examples of Hello/Goodbye. They are perfectly legitimate choices. The main concern you should have is the security/encryption you choose. NEVER select WEP as your preferred choice, as this actually transmitts the KEY with the information, for any wifi hacker to pickup, given the right tools.

Mur

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi again, Mur,

I can’t thank you enough for your time and explanation.  I ordered the router today so I should have it in a few days.  I hope that solves my issues.  It seems that every day or two (recently), one of my devices won’t connect to the internet.  I always receive the message “invalid IP address”.  The router is quite old and I think I simply have too many devices connected to it.  My guess is that it is messing up the DHCP.

Anyway, thanks again and I will touch base with you when the new router is up and running.  Quite a bit of money for a router so I hope it does the job.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users