Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart TV v Roku

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

I just purchased a Roku device but I just learned of something called "smart tv." Apparently these are televisions with built in Roku like devices. I've been thinking of buying a new tv. Should I return the Roku and get a smart tv?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

A Smart TV is just an HDTV with a device like Roku, Apple TV or Google Chromecast. They are all for sale separately but many Smart TVs come with Roku these days. They have been making a lot of deals with TV manufacturers lately. If you are happy with your current TV, you can just plug Roku into the HDMI port in the back. You don't even need a wireless internet connection for the most recent versions of Roku. When I bought my Smart TV last year, my old TV was over ten years old and needed to be replaced anyway. The decision is more difficult if you already have an HDTV. 

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

Thanks.

#4 bojekki

bojekki

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

A smart TV has an app interface built into it. You can use apps, install apps, and delete apps. A TV is not a smart TV just because a Roku is packaged with it. I bought a smart TV and trust me I should have bought a non smart one, saved a hundred bucks, and then got a streaming device like an Android box, Roku, or Chromecast. It would have given me access to better apps and thousands more apps and other features, including gaming. As years go by, you can update your app device without buying a new TV, its a better situation. With a smart TV, you're stuck with the apps that the TV manufacturer made compatible with that model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users