Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Video Card GPU

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hi to all and thanks for your help.

I'd like to upgrade my video card gpu that is currently the GeForce GT640.

I'll post my full configuration:

Motherboard: Foxconn 2ADA, although the Crucial stuff says it is the HP H-Joshua-H61-uATX. The motherboards seem to be pratically identical however.

CPU: Intel I7-3770 @3.40GHz

Ivy Bridge

Socket 1155LGA

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

Case: HP Pavilon classic one: http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-electronics/product_content/HP/hpDESKTOP1_L._V400582747_.jpg

Wattage: 300W

Actually, i didn't assembly this but i've changed a couple of things, this is the ORIGINAL configuration: 

http://www.amazon.it/HP-Pavilion-p6-2326el-Processore-dedicati/dp/B00A71ADZY#productDetails

The things i've changed are: adding more ram and adding an internal SSD. Just that.

The budget isn't actually a matter, but i'd like to keep under 200€. Feel free to tell me also that there is nothing worth in this budget range and that worth video cards cost more, although as i said, i'd prefer to keep under there.

Edited by donisonleague, 01 August 2015 - 05:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

The only card worth getting that'd be a safe upgrade is to the GTX 750. 

The run anywhere from 100$ to 130$ USD. Here is the MSI variant form Newegg. Currently is going for 100$ as it's on sale marked down from 130$. I'm not sure how many euros they're going for in your country, but I can't imagine they'd cost to much more or less. 

Any other card then that and it'd be to weak to be considered an upgrade and any other card stronger then it and you'd need a more wattage. I know a lot of people are going to say to upgrade your power supply wattage because "it's not big enough for any card" and it probably should be replaced anyways since it's a cheap OEM , but it can most certainly handle the GTX 750 (not the TI version). 

Edit: oh and as some points of reference. The GT640 (the variant of it you have anyways) pulls 414 GFLOPs, where are the GTX 750 does 1044 GFLOPs. So it's easily twice as powerful.

Some more reference points: Xbox One GPU- 1350 GFLOPs, PS4 GPU- 1850 GFLOPs, most common integrated desktop/laptop graphics- 240 GFLOPs, most powerful Intel integrated- 650 GFLOPs, and Most powerful AMD desktop integrated- 900 GFLOPs, Most 300$ USD GPUs- around 3000 GFLOPs, the 200$ USD GTX 960- 2308 GFLOPs. 

Edit: Just noticed the Italy domain on the amazon link. Here is a the Italy variant on amazon for the card.

Edited by SEANIA, 01 August 2015 - 07:04 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

Thank you really much for your suggestion. Is it fully compatible with my motherboard although it is DDR5?

What if i would decide, for example, to mount a 500W? I've seen that they goes for around 50-60$.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:01 AM

Thank you really much for your suggestion. Is it fully compatible with my motherboard although it is DDR5?

It doesn't use DDR5, and DDR5 doesn't exist (yet, and it might never exist of we switch RAM types), It uses GDDR5. The G stands for "graphics", the D's and R for "Double Data Rate", and the 5 indicates the revision number of the technology. GDDR5 is based off of DDR3 tech, but is optimized solely for maximum bandwidth instead of low latency like DDR3 is. 

It is compatible, what RAM type a GPU uses has nothing to do with whether or not it's compatible with a system. It's part of the GPUs secluded eco system and the system doesn't need to know how to directly interact with it to use the graphics card. 

What if i would decide, for example, to mount a 500W? I've seen that they goes for around 50-60$.

Quality ones go for that. Very important to get a quality one to.

A GTX 960 would be your best bet. Some are just over 200 euros and some are just under it. Gigabyte variant going for 199 Euro

If you prefer AMD video cards the R9 270X is just under 200 euro as well. Sapphire Variant for 199 Euro

Most people would recommend the Nvidia 960 over the 270X. If you have no opinion, it's the 960. 

If you take the 60 out of the 200 total.

The Nvidia GTX 750 TI. EVGA variant- 134 Euro

The AMD R7 260x. Sapphire variant- 131 Euro

Same thing here. Nvidia 750 ti is the choice if you have no brand preference. 

Edited by SEANIA, 02 August 2015 - 05:02 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Oh thanks for the correction :) i'm only 1 step forward from full-newbie status. I think i'll keep on the gtx750 since it seems a quite good choice and isn't that much expensive. Could you also tell me some good brands for PSU? just in case :)

Edited by donisonleague, 02 August 2015 - 05:46 AM.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

Crosair, Coolermaster, EVGA, Antec, BitFenix, Fractal Design, NZXT, Thermaltake, XFX, Seasonic

Just a few. Crosair and EVGA seem to be the most popular choices though. Always make sure to read buyer reviews on them anyways. Even good PSU manufactures can sometimes make a dud model. 

#7 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Thanks again. Just a few last things: considering this link, the power drain of the gtx750 is even less than my current gt640. Is it right? http://www.hwcompare.com/17119/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-geforce-gtx-750

#8 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

Oh i've seen that is the TDP and these ones should be instead the power consumption datas: GT 640 Idle - 103 Load - 208 (Metro 2033) / 156 (OCCT) GTX750 System in IDLE = 120 W System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 186W However i'm still searching around the power needed but seems like nvidia by itself claimed gtx750 to be fine with 300PsU: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-750-class

#9 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

Also this article seems to claim 300w psu be enough for a gtx750. Sorry for mycountinuous arguing but i'm trying to understand thebest i can the situation before buying anything :) http://mobile.pcmag.com/reviews/1285-zotac-gtx-750?origref= Also sorry for multiple posting but it seems like i cannot edit from smartphone

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Yes it draws less power. The GTX 750 draws 50 watts under max load by its self. As it uses no external power connector and only draws from the PCIe slot it's connected to. PCIe slots cap out at 50 watts.

The rest of the system also draws power. Hence the total system draw ratings and recommended 300watt PSU from Nvidia.  The variant of the GT 640 you have draws 75 watts by its self. 

Whatever you currently have should be more then enough to power it seeing as it draws less then the GT 640 you have does. 

#11 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

So i'm going straight with the GTX750, really thank you for your suggestions and advices, i will let you know once the 750 has arrived if everything works fine :)

#12 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

Last update: Yesterday i've received my GTX750, it's running fine also with high stress, so i'm really grateful for your suggestions SEANIA, thank you really much.

#13 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Thank you for updating. You're welcome ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users