Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac as Virus carriers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Already-born

Already-born

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

Hi Guys,

a friend of mine own a mac Laptop, However when i insert his USB in my windows PC, my antivirus caught two viruses, one is worm, and the other is malware. those two viruses designed to infect windows systems not Mac. However, he claims its not from his Mac rather from other pc's he connected his USB to. my question is:

can Windows designed viruses be hidden in a mac computers ? in another term, can Mac be a carrier to a worm/virus/malware ? even if it's not infected by it

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

The short answer is - Yes. Don't ask me for the long answer because I don't know it, but it boils down to 'Yes' as well.

It is entirely possible for a contaminated file to be passed from a Windows user to a Mac user and then on to another Windows user . That is not to say that Macs are bullet proof, they aren't, but because OSX is written as a distant fork of Linux it is unlikely that a file written for OSX will run natively in Windows, and vice versa. So I am afraid your friend is in the right on this one. Where he is possibly in the wrong is in not having any means of scanning attachments before he sends them on. Happily, your A/V caught it before it got into your system

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Already-born

Already-born
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

Thank You Chris, that was quite helpful information

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

Upload the files to Virustotal maybe this are false positives.

Files made for Windows and have a startup ini in the USB Device can infect windows of course. But this is also a bad part from windows side because they have an option to open (start) external devices automatically if you plugged in.

Mac OS X not allow automatically start or install such files without to be approved by an Administrator.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Most quality Mac anti-virus tools will detect and deal with many Windows viruses. They might always be as up-to-date as a Windows anti-virus program running in Windows, but they should be fairly close. For example, I know that the program that I use on my Macs (VirusBarrier) will detect both Mac and Windows viruses.

And generally "Windows" viruses/malware will not effect a Mac. The one kind of exception is viruses designed to exploit Microsoft's VisualBasic language in Office documents. Those viruses can potentially effect a Mac if that Mac is running a version of Mac Office that has VBA in it (i.e. Office for Mac 2011, but not 2008 or 2004...if memory serves).

#6 Already-born

Already-born
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

Upload the files to Virustotal maybe this are false positives.

Files made for Windows and have a startup ini in the USB Device can infect windows of course. But this is also a bad part from windows side because they have an option to open (start) external devices automatically if you plugged in.

Mac OS X not allow automatically start or install such files without to be approved by an Administrator.

I understand what you mean, but the two viruses caught by kaspersky which i googled also, are both harmful, and one of them was disguised as a .jpg file. usually when i plug in a USB, i press the left shift on keyboard which disables all auto-run files on the USB, till i scan it with my Anti virus. 

#7 Already-born

Already-born
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

Most quality Mac anti-virus tools will detect and deal with many Windows viruses. They might always be as up-to-date as a Windows anti-virus program running in Windows, but they should be fairly close. For example, I know that the program that I use on my Macs (VirusBarrier) will detect both Mac and Windows viruses.

And generally "Windows" viruses/malware will not effect a Mac. The one kind of exception is viruses designed to exploit Microsoft's VisualBasic language in Office documents. Those viruses can potentially effect a Mac if that Mac is running a version of Mac Office that has VBA in it (i.e. Office for Mac 2011, but not 2008 or 2004...if memory serves).

The thing is, if those anti virus tools pre exist in mac systems, so i think we dont have problem. but if those tools have to be installed by user, i doubt my friend done such thing as he believe the MAC OS is immune. and i'am pretty sure he has office for Mac. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users