Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 batman1234

batman1234

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

Downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and scan my hard drive, the health status is caution:

Reallocated sectors count: 503

Current pending sector count: 5

Uncorrectable sector count: 4

My hard drive can last for years or I need to replace it right now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

That is the problem with SMART attributes. You could go years and nothing will happen or it could fail tomorrow with those attributes. I would recommend you at least backup your critical data to another source as soon as possible. Your Reallocated Sector count is high and you have Current Pending Sectors which means the sectors are waiting to be reallocated but are currently unreadable. You have 4 sectors that cannot be corrected. 

If you have the budget, I would suggest a new drive. I definitely would replace it if you see those values increase.

#3 batman1234

batman1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

The reallocated sectors count become 538 today, I'm not going to change my drive. How long can it last?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

If you are not going to replace your drive then you should immediately backup you data to another source, either external drive or cloud. I can't tell you how long it will last but going from 503 to 538 is not good.

#5 batman1234

batman1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Thank for quick reply.

Can I clean install Windows 10 or wait until I can get a new drive? Will do a clean install effect the sector count?

My PC is quite old I think it's the reason the drive is not good.

Edited by batman1234, 07 August 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Post system specs, make model.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Doing a clean install will not affect the sector count. The bad sectors are still marked as bad. Did you update from 7 to 10 via the free upgrade? If you did this then you can wait as Microsoft activates the computer using hardware ID's. After the new drive is installed you can install Windows 10 and it will be activated automatically once on the internet.

If you have not yet upgraded to 10, you might want to take a chance and upgrade because if the drive fails and you do not have recovery disks for Windows 7 you will have no option other than to purchase Recovery Disks from  the computer maker if OEM. As OldPhil suggested, please post your make and model of computer.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

Depending on the manufacturer the installation disc and drivers disc could be free, or they would cost you a small fee.  But the bottom line is that with what you have posted regarding the attributes it looks like this hdd is failing.  After you install Windows 7 on the new hdd you will need to install all of the updates and SP1 before you can upgrade to Windows 10.

Because of the rapid increase in the reallocated sector count it is very important that you move all of your important data to removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, etc.  At the rate that these attributes are changing the drive could fail at any time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 batman1234

batman1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:15 AM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users