Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:04 AM

Recently I upgraded to Win 10 and it hasn't downloaded Cortana,I am in England and my language is in English but the search bar just says (Search the web and Windows),in settings it does not allow me to turn Cortana on.Is there anyone else with this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:11 AM

I read an article that not all areas would get Cortana.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:14 AM

Consider yourself blessed. :)  Go into Privacy Settings and see how much you've volunteered to turn your computer into Big Brother.  I wish I could uninstall Cortana, for after 2 hours of going through those settings, I'm not sure I turned off all the Big Brother optin defaults.  I can never be sure some update, won't turn them on again.

THE biggest reason to not get Win10, is Cortana.  Second biggest, are the mandatory updates.  Third, is the EULA.

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 08:18 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:49 AM

Cortana
Full text

Cortana is your personal assistant. Cortana works best when it can learn about you and your activities by using data from your device, your Microsoft account, third-party services and other Microsoft services. To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more. You can manage what data Cortana uses, and what it knows about you in Cortana Settings and Notebook. More about the individual features, and how to manage them can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=522360.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

#5 deresahatar

deresahatar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

Consider yourself blessed. :)  Go into Privacy Settings and see how much you've volunteered to turn your computer into Big Brother.  I wish I could uninstall Cortana, for after 2 hours of going through those settings, I'm not sure I turned off all the Big Brother optin defaults.  I can never be sure some update, won't turn them on again.

THE biggest reason to not get Win10, is Cortana.  Second biggest, are the mandatory updates.  Third, is the EULA.

Only three reasons??? :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:

Some of the options that you've turned off applies to third-parties, but not to Microsoft. Microsoft at their discretion can allow third-parties, or paid customers, which ever you prefer, to access the opt-out "features". One such case is the location service, you can disable sharing your location but that's not applied to Microsoft...

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

@deresahatar (interesting nick): yeah, well I have more than three big objections to Win10, but picked three 'popular' objections.

And, you CAN turn off Cortana and the other stuff in Group Policy.  They have to allow that, as in Pro a business must be given the freedom to turn Windows features off.  So for example, in gpedit.msc, one of the Administrative Settings is to turn off, 'Allow Cortana'.  That's where my Win10 screen is parked right now, as I'm trying to decide if I want to disable allowing Cortana in Group Policy. 

That's a bigger deal versus user settings, because MSFT will respect Group Policy, but likely will 'forget' to respect user options.  You know why.    :whistle:

PS: one of the gpedit.msc 'Cortana' options (use her name as an Action filter) -- is to disable location awareness.  I disabled all the Cortana options, all ability to read speech, inking and typing (which is sad, for I like speech recognition otherwise).  Then ran gpupdate, and it's now done.

Let's see if MSFT overrides that in a future update, shall we?

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Yeah um the thing that says Search the Web and Windows IS Cortana... When you click on that you should be presented with the little glowing blue orb that says "What can I help you with"... Make sure you are using a Microsoft Account linked with your computer because otherwise Cortana won't run... But from what I gather Cortana is ACTUALLY disabled... So let me ask you... Is this a work computer or anything to where Group Policy WOULD actually disable it? Also make sure Windows is activated because a BUNCH of settings are disabled when Windows 10 is unactivated... One more thing... Did you upgrade from another OS or install Windows 10 directly? Sometimes Microsoft disables features that other computers can't handle so you need to see if your computer can handle all the features of Windows 10.

Hope this helps,

-Benjamin

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, in Group Policy there's an option called 'Allow Cortana'.  Actually a bunch of settings, so you can search during gpedit.msc and find all the settings and disable them.  Whether MSFT still retains a backdoor, who knows.  I wouldn't doubt it.  For Win10 onward, They need to identify you in situ, to allow you to update or reinstall or install, so there has to be a backdoor.  When they can't do that, the installer bugs out.

For me, this is the last straw. I get what MSFT is trying to accomplish, but there are unforeseen "collateral damage" consequences I do see, and won't tolerate.  For me, it's no biggie;  to protect my clients' data, it's a deal-breaker, that MSFT now tracks, follows, records.  Enterprise may have a more robust Group Policy to shut those things off, but Pro sure doesn't.  For to install, requires MSFT read your machine to detect what Windows is already on it. Enterprise does its own slipstreaming installs, so the Pro you're installing, does not have the optout.

Mind you, I'm not worried about MSFT or the government, snooping.  That's their job (government legitimately, MSFT not so much).  I'm worried about all the subpoenas that can now be issued for MSFT to produce what it has, publicly.  For Win10, unlike prior versions, tracks everything.  So even if you turn it off, if you are ON Win10, you can be sued for the data, and MSFT as well: resulting in much wasted time and money.  Invoking 'client privilege' is breached by this, since THEY have the data, too.

So I won't be going to Win10.  Will have to umbrella my Win7 machines eventually, with Linux.  How?  Just install Linux to any external hard drive (i.e., WD Passport or Seagate), and then plug it into any Windows machine, boot (steps elsewhere listed in BC and in linuxmint forum).  NB:  this is not a 'live' stick, but instead a full official installation, so its persistence is to the full extent of the external drive.  It can also be put on a stick instead, but sticks run more slowly.  Drive operation is as fast as if the drive was internal, if you use a good external drive.  Of course, you could externalize an internal drive using a Plugable (etc).

Edited by brainout, 02 August 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

@ Waveydavey #1

First of all - since nobody else has said it - welcome to BC !

From your time stamp I suspect you live in the UK. I believe that the UK is one area where Cortana has not been activated yet, but I do remember seeing a mention somewhere than it is possible to get the US version if you try hard enough.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Recently I upgraded to Win 10 and it hasn't downloaded Cortana,I am in England and my language is in English but the search bar just says (Search the web and Windows),in settings it does not allow me to turn Cortana on.Is there anyone else with this problem?

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.  Cortana is not yet available in all regions.  However, if you > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language and change Region (topmost item) from UK to United States Cortana will work.

Edited by Drew1903, 02 August 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

Cortana is not yet available in all regions.  However, if you > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language and change Region (topmost item) from UK to United States Cortana will work.

The flaws are starting to show...

If your area is U.K., then leave those settings as they should be. Do not set them to another area of the world ! !

The settings are meant to represent your location, not another location ..

#12 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Cortana does work in the UK!  But in order to get it to work, you must make sure that your Language and regional and country settings are all set to UK English (this includes Speech settings). Also you will probably need to download the UK English speech pack.

Once these things are done, Cortana will work correctly!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

I remember reading an article on Microsoft about Cortana, I think it was about Windows 10 features. There was an * at Cortana's line, and it only listed 10-12 countries where it would be available. Surprisingly, Canada wasn't in the list, so I don't have Cortana. I can try to enable it thought, but I don't need it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

The flaws are starting to show...

Cortana does work in the UK!  But in order to get it to work, you must make sure that your Language and regional and country settings are all set to UK English (this includes Speech settings). Also you will probably need to download the UK English speech pack.

Once these things are done, Cortana will work correctly!

As in no flaws.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

I remember reading an article on Microsoft about Cortana, I think it was about Windows 10 features. There was an * at Cortana's line, and it only listed 10-12 countries where it would be available. Surprisingly, Canada wasn't in the list, so I don't have Cortana. I can try to enable it thought, but I don't need it.

I am in Calgary.  A while back w/ the betas I tried all the things, matching & lang pks to no avail.  wanting to muck about w/ Cortana I switched to USA & used it, from then on;  I haven't switched since Upgrading.  Not a big thing whether I have Cortana or not.  BUT, changing Region does not really affect much... not time, currency or Home Page (was, still, msn.ca).  Only very noticeable thing, Cortana was showing US news headlines.  Had to do the same thing (change Region to US) to have Cortana work on my phone and doesn't impact any local stuff in it, not @ all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users