Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware and Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavidB73

DavidB73

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hi everyone, so here is my issue.  My son has an Alienware X51 R2 PC from early 2014.  It came with Windows 8.1 and he has not had any problems with it.  When we installed Windows 10 on it, everything worked fine, until we rebooted.  For some reason when the computer is rebooted his single monitor setup switchs to dual and the connected monitor will go from showing the loading windows screen to a black screen with a mouse cursor, right clicking doesnt really do anything.  If I plug the monitor in using an HDMI cord it will work fine.  

The monitor he uses is an Asus VG248QE 24-Inch LED, it runs at 144 Mhz using a DVI cable.  

So basically everything is working fine on DVI, we reboot, and can see the loading screen, it then goes to a black screen.  In order to fix it I either have to hook up the monitor with an HDMI cable, or hook up a second monitor and set it to work on the ASUS again.  Everything will work again until we reboot again.  Anyone have any suggestions or need some further info.  It seems to only be a problem with Windows 10 since it never did it on 8.1 

thanks, 

David B. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aar318

Aar318

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the video drivers? I'm pretty sure Win 10 uses generic drivers when you install it, so updating the drivers may fix it. Hope that helps :)

#3 DavidB73

DavidB73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

I tried that earlier yesterday, it is for sure using the correct drivers and the Nvidia card.  I'm pretty sure now that it is switching from the Nvidia card to the the onboard graphics on his Core i7 when we reboot.  

#4 Aar318

Aar318

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

I tried that earlier yesterday, it is for sure using the correct drivers and the Nvidia card.  I'm pretty sure now that it is switching from the Nvidia card to the the onboard graphics on his Core i7 when we reboot.  

I would suggest doing a clean install of the Nvidia driver and see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users