Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Not Being Detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skiddlywinks

Skiddlywinks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Good evening everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble over here. I built a computer for my fiancee over the last year or so, and by that I mean I jumped onto logicalincriments and then shopped around... I know enough about setting up computers to know that square peg goes in square peg, how to install an OS, and how to google for fixes as well as my way around some useful tools (device manager, CMD, etc). Basically I know some stuff but my technical knowledge is limited.

Everything has been replaced from her old system part by part until today, we traded out her old slave drive for a shiny new SSD to run her OS off of. Prior to this replacement, this computer would do the strangest things. We figured out her old 80G HDD was dying; super hot, fairly noisy, laggy, etc. In the end, the computer would seize up for 5-10 min intermittently which sparked a quick little shopping spree over on Amazon.

Anyway to the problem:

So everything seems to be running miraculously smoothly right now, but we are missing one of her secondary HDDs. She has a multimedia and a work HDD so if anything craps out on the OS drive, we still have the important stuff elsewhere.

-It revs up on startup

-It shows up in the BIOS

-Device manager sees it

-It does not show up in My Computer

-It will not show up using DISKPART LIST

The work drive had the same issue, but just needed an assigned letter which was easy enough with DISKPART, no idea here why one is showing up but the other isn't. We have done a few restarts, but nothing more than that. Any suggestions? Id really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

Have you formatted the HDD? It could also be set in a RAID mode by accident, or something in the BIOS I forgot the name of.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Skiddlywinks

Skiddlywinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

No formatting, its  one of her storage drives too much important on there. We haven't set up any arrays, she wasn't interested in it. 

No hardware was changed out except for the slave drive with a fresh Win 7 install. I may be wrong but the only reason a format would be mandatory is if we changed CPU companies (AMD to Intel).

Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users