Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk on External HDD takes forever.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tyrll

Tyrll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

I started getting this Check disk prompt when I accidentally nudge my 1TB External HDD while pasting some files from my Internal HDD. The cut & paste process was interrupted in which most of the files end up gone and corrupted (I can't find the file from either the source and destination)

Every time I plug my External HDD:

JnbFLFv.png

When I click Scan and fix (recommended) the scan will randomly stop on the middle of the process as well as the lights will stop blinking.

omWfjKC.png

I also tried running chkdsk /f via command prompt, but to no avail, it stopped on the Recovering Orphaned File. Took me 3 hours and decided to close the window because there's no progress or whatsoever.

2oIChnk.png

So far, these are the steps that I've taken, yet chkdsk prompt still pops-up:

• I've already moved and deleted the folder from my External HDD where the cut & paste was interrupted.
  • Been googling around and found out that with Orphan Files, the chkdsk is trying to recover the corrupted or unnamed file(s) in which I have no intentions on recovering.

Obviously, how can I possibly solve this problem? I still got 400GB+ worth of files inside my External HDD and backing it up would take some time and also I don't have any spare storage.

For the most part, I think the rest of my files were not affected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users