Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpeedFan reports Temp 1 overheating; laptop crashed twice already

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, SVT151A11L on Windows 8.0, and it suddenly shut off twice, once yesterday and once more today. Both times were while playing League of Legends.

I should point out that the first time seemed odd because my desktop shut off at the same time. I thought maybe power went out for a split second or something since the rest of the house was ok and nothing else in the house beeped as they would no that occasion - but it shouldn't have affected my laptop, which runs fine on battery. I thought maybe a power surge or something then.

Both times, I am unable to power the laptop up by hitting the power button. I simply disconnected and reconnected the power cable (immediately, did NOT even wait any time and did NOT hit the power button while dc), and then it powered on just fine.

After having it happen again today, I loaded up speed fan and noticed a Temp1 is running at 81 C. I open speedfan every now and then, particularly on hot days and my temps are always below 60 for sure, if not in the 40s or 50s. Now I'm seeing 81 C on Temp 1 and 50 or less on the other "temp #," two HD, and two core listings.

I opened the laptop and there was hardly any dust anywhere that I could see, pretty spotless, except for the fan, which had a good bit but very loose, I wouldn't think it was too bad. This laptop is only about 2 years old anyway. So I cleaned it out easily with compressed air.

Powered back on, still 81 C.

How can I continue to troubleshoot? What is overheating?

The Temperature tab in the configure section of SpeedFan says Temp1 chip is ACPI and bus is ISA. I don't know how to find out any more info on what could be overheating. I understand ACPI to just be the temp monitoring system itself, particular for the CPU and it's more closely connected parts or something?

Thanks.

PS: Was there a reboot of this forum or something? Pretty sure I've posted here before a few times...

Edited by Sp3ctre18, 31 July 2015 - 08:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

Maybe the thermal paste has dried out? Or the thermal sensors are whack? You can normally turn off "Overheat Protection" or set it to a crazy high amount if that is what it is. But first, I suggest replacing the thermal paste. Is it paste or a pad? 

Paste; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J335P2561&cm_re=noctua_thermal_paste-_-35-608-008-_-Product

Pad; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UTX7K2E/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00K04D3UK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=173GP0QW0JKC5HS5RY34

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

Well, that's a solution that I know to try, but I'm still working on the problem. I explained what I did and now I'm asking how to keep trying to figure out what exactly is overheating. How can I find out what is at 81 C?

Thanks for the links!

Edited by Sp3ctre18, 31 July 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#4 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Update: the temp 1 81 C temperature doesn't seem to change at all. It is at that temperature on start up, and even while running the game, even though by comparison, the core temps go from 28-35 on idle to 48-51 when running the game. SpeedFan logs prove there is absolutely no variation on temp 1.

HWinfo, however, shows no such temperature... 

#5 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

Huh. Might just be buggered up software or sensors.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#6 Sp3ctre18

Sp3ctre18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

I guess so. Today Temp 1 is back to around 51 C and fluctuating.normally.

Is there anyone who can answer my actual question though? How do I figure out what a temperature is related to? How do I find out what temperature monitors my computer has?

HWiNFO labels better so by comparison, I found Temp 1 is the graphics. But SpeedFan also shows a Temp 2 at a low 36-38C but I don't see such a temperature in HWiNFO. The core and HDD temps all agree though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users