Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red stripes boot screen; computer only loads Windows 7 in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yopeepdis

yopeepdis

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hello, 

I'm not really sure where to take this problem. I don't know if the issue is related to malware or if it is a hardware failure, but I figured I would start here because the presenting problem is graphics display.

I went to turn on my computer and both monitors were black after selecting to start windows normally. I manually powered off the machine, and I saw two bold red stripes on the boot screen. I was able to log into Windows with Safemode enabled.

Forgive my inexperience. Where do you think I should start in order to fix this issue? I have started a full system scan with the current Microsoft Security Essentials. I have also considered removing my GPU in order to assess whether the computer will boot normally with onboard graphics.

Thank you very much in advance. I will post updates if I find anything in the virus scan report.

Sincerely,
Alex

Edited by yopeepdis, 31 July 2015 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

Remove the GPU and try onboard graphics first. If that is buggered up, it is most likely the software.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 yopeepdis

yopeepdis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

Remove the GPU and try onboard graphics first. If that is buggered up, it is most likely the software.

First off, MSE scan found no threats on my computer.

Second, I went to remove my graphics card, and I realized if I were to do so there would be no connection for a monitor. Am I missing something trivial? For example, should I unplug the power cords to the card while leaving the card in place? Alternatively, is there another way to test my GPU?

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

No. The only other way you can test it is to put it into another PC. I'd be willing to do it for you, but you probably have friends closer and wouldn't need to bother shipping it to me if that were the case. Also check around if there's any PC repair stores around you, as they would be willing to test it. But if it all comes to worst, just send it to me and I'll test it for you. 

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 31 July 2015 - 09:45 PM.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users