Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove the Windows 10 "bloatware"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

I just upgraded one of my two computers (the laptop) from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home.  I find a number of applications pre-loaded that I do not want, One example is the "3D Builder" app; another is the Solitaire game. I consider these unwanted programs to be useless bloat that would just consume my computer's resources in an attempt to get me to spend money.

Can someone tell me how to remove these unwanted "bloatware" application programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

Uninstall them in the Control Panel.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

Uninstall them in the Control Panel.

Unfortunately, they do not appear in the list of currently installed programs that I can uninstall in the Conrrol Panel!

The relevant page (Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall or Change a Program) , the instruction reads, "To uninstall a program, select it from the list and then click Uninstall, Change, or Repair."  But none of these programs appear in the list, so I cannot click on them!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

It's weird but there are effectively two "control panels" in Windows 10 (much like was the case in Windows 8.1).  There's the traditional Control Panel and one called "Settings".  The one you want is "Settings" and it's accessed through the "Start Menu" > Settings > System > Apps & features.

This will allow you to remove "Apps".  The one through Control Panel I think only allows you to remove desktop software.  Below pic shows 3D Builder with an uninstall button along side it, to show I'm not making it up!! 

Attached File  win10-1.PNG   40.33KB   1 downloads

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

It's weird but there are effectively two "control panels" in Windows 10 (much like was the case in Windows 8.1).  There's the traditional Control Panel and one called "Settings".  The one you want is "Settings" and it's accessed through the "Start Menu" > Settings > System > Apps & features.

This will allow you to remove "Apps".  The one through Control Panel I think only allows you to remove desktop software.  Below pic shows 3D Builder with an uninstall button along side it, to show I'm not making it up!! 

attachicon.gifwin10-1.PNG

Thank you!  Never having had a computer with Windows 8 or 8.1, I did not know this.  I will try what you suggest.

Meanwhile, experimenting with the new-to-me Windows 10 user interface, I discovered another way.  The "bloatware" or which I complained made its presence known when I clicked the start button: as "tiles" to the right of the more traditional start menu. If I right-click on on these tiles, I see a menu which -- for some tiles, but not all -- includes an "uninstall" option.  By clicking on "uninstall", I was able to persuade Windows 10 to actually uninstall the 3D Builder app.  Likewise for the Solitaire game app.

For some of the tiles, however, those for applications that are more intimately associated with the Windows 10 OS, the "uninstall" item does not appear in the right-click menu.  For those, however, I can click on "unpin from the start menu" and at least they do not intrude on my user experience.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users