Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Extensions uninstalling/still get a pop-up & Chrome not in uninstall list

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Alright, so I've had an issue with Chrome for the past couple weeks where every time I open up Chrome (whether's it's in the morning after my computer's been off all night or I close the browser and open it again a few minutes later) my ad blocker extensions automatically uninstall.

The only extensions I have on chrome are:

AdBlock 2.36.2

Adblock Plus 1.9.1

Adguard AdBlocker 2.0.12

I have tried only using one at a time to see if maybe one of them is corrupt and is affecting the rest but so far every single one of them have the same problem. I've tried using a couple others (Adblock Super and Adblock Pro) but they keep uninstalling as well.

I know this isn't caused by a virus on my computer because I've run a full systems check with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and they say I'm clean. Also, I just got a new laptop and I'm having the same troubles on there.

Another issue that has only recently occurred in the past couple of days is that my ad blockers don't seem to be doing their job properly because I keep getting one pop up inconsistently. I'll open a page and SOMETIMES I'll get this almost-window-wide pop up and a dialogue box and after I close the dialogue box it comes back only with an option to "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogues" and after I click that, press OK and close the pop up I'm alright. And sometimes when I open up a new tab or page I'll get a blank pop up I can just close. I've attached pictures of this sequence of events. I do not have this problem on my laptop.

My last issue was brought to my attention when I was trying to fix these problems.

I went to the Programs and Features option in my Control Panel to uninstall and then reinstall Google Chrome (this has helped fix lots of issues for me before) but Google Chrome is not there! I have the Google Drive and the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer but not the browser itself and I don't know where else to go to uninstall it that isn't just "deleting a shortcut". I do not have this problem with my laptop. It shows up just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix any of my problems here?

Thanks!

Arlothia

Attached Files

Edited by computerxpds, 31 July 2015 - 03:13 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

Scan with Malwarebytes AntiRootkit

Please download MBAR and save it to your desktop.

Run tool as Administrator, tool will extract itself, and then launch.

Click Next to accept terms and conditions, and click Update to obtain latest definitions.

If malware is found click on Cleanup button , but make sure that Create restore point option is checked before proceeding !

Program will ask you to restart, allow it to do so.

Note: If you're experiencing internet connection issues or other anomalies after running MBAR and removal of rootkits, it is recommended to run fixdamage.exe located inside mbar folder. Run it as Administrator and press Y if asks you do you want to continue.

Step 2

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save it to your desktop.

Run tool as Administrator, accept terms of usage, and wait while database is updating.

After it's done with updating, click Scan button and wait while it's scanning.

All found items remove by clicking on Cleaning button, and allow tool to restart.

After restart will make a log which you will attach or paste in your reply.

Step 3

Download JRT by Malwarebytes and save it to your desktop.

Run tool as Administrator,accept disclaimer by pressing Y, and wait while it's scanning system.

Tool will automatically scan and remove all found items, if tool requires restart, allow it to do so.

Attach log here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users