Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Permisson Issues After Updating to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 defazken

defazken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hello,

Since I've updated to Windows 10 I've been experiencing some odd issues.  First, I upgraded CPU, MB, Memory & Graphics Card 2 weeks prior to the Windows 10 upgrade.  I "kicked the tires" for those 2 weeks with no issues.  I did have Malwarebytes, ESET and Advanced System Care installed on that Windows 7 Home Premium OS box.  ONLY ESET real-time AV process was running and Window's Defender was turned off.  System was stable and speedy.

Post Windows 10 upgrade I noticed the following:

• Windows Defender - every option is ON and all the settings are grayed out and I cannot change them.  When attempt to enable in CMD Admin I get "windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.  a recent hardware or software change might have installed  a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be a malicious software from an unknown source.".  Also, when I boot into Windows I get a dialog box telling me that WD application is missing.  Think this is due to the signature, but...
  • ESET - was not running and I cannot remove it completely.
  • Revo Uninstaller Pro - will not allow me to re-activate using the valid registration code.
  • NVIDIA - Will not install drivers as there are some remnant files and registry entries that cannot be removed.

I've tried uninstalling all of the above, with the exception of WD of course, in Safe Mode but I get a Windows Installer error (don't recall the details, sorry).

I'm looking for a big brain that can offer some direction on where I can go from here in my pursuit of a resolution.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2015 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from AV/AM to Win 10 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as the older version of Defender found in previous operating systems. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants...then Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus you may receive a message indicated your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, you will need to manually turn it on.If you want to use another anti-virus then you need to disable Windows Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Advanced SystemCareFree is a suite of protection, performance and privacy tools by IObit. It provides basic protection from security threats, basic system optimization and auto clean for privacy security when logging on. Optimization includes a registry cleaner that purports to improve performance, make repairs and tune up a computer.

Advanced SystemCare PRO is a more comprehensive optimization suite by IObit with additonal features to include enhanced malware protection, system tuneup, deep registry cleaning, an Internet booster and an assortment of "Smart Tools" for computer maintenance.

Advanced SystemCare Ultimate incorporates the same comprehensive optimization suite with additional security protection which includes BitDefender antivirus technology and the IObit anti-malware engine.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. IOBIT has been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#4 defazken

defazken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thank you for your fast response.  I appreciate your perspective and knowledge.  First, Windows Defender in ON as I stated.  Every option is in the "On" position, although Windows says the application is missing.

Also, I have attempted all of the processes to remove the AV programs I have from the pages you've posted, both in normal and safe modes.  Neither work.  I will start by removing Advance SystemCare Ultimate over the weekend and see where that takes me.  I do have confidence in ESET and Malwarebytes, although I will remove both in an attempt to resurrect Windows Defender.  I will post my progress or lack thereof as soon as I can.

One quick question Mr. Janitor, do you use Windows Defender alone as your sole security measure?  

And again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

Did you try running the ESET Uninstaller Tool?

Edit. I thought I had posted the below links but apparently they did not make in when I copied and pasted my previous reply.

How to manually uninstall ESET security products with ESET Uninstaller <- includes link for ESET Uninstaller Tool
How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? <- includes link for ESET Uninstaller Tool
How do I uninstall ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus in Windows 8?

One quick question Mr. Janitor, do you use Windows Defender alone as your sole security measure?

No I have Windows 7 and use ESET, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes. If I had Windows 8 or 10, I would keep that combination.

If you choose to stay with ESET, reinstalling should disable Windows Defender but I would turn it off beforehand.

#6 defazken

defazken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

Not yet.  I did download Advanced Uninstaller Pro and was able to remove most of ESET, Revo and all of Advance SystemCare Ultimate.  I'm not sure which it was, but one of them freed up Windows Defender, so for now I'm able to engage WD as my primary defense while I work through the other issues.  I will try and manually uninstall ESET at some point this weekend, but happy that I have protection at the moment so the urgency has lessened.  Thank you again.  I will report more as soon as I'm able.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

Not a problem and I'm glad to here things are going in the right direction. Since Defender is working again, then I would give it a try for a while...you can always disable and go with ESET at a later date.

However, although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is not adequate enough for comprehensive protection so I would continue to use Malwarebytes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users