Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing internet connection after installing Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Dotch

Dotch

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi Guys,

Yesterday, I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Since then, I get disconnected from the internet at random moments. However, it feels like as if I get disconnected when there is a lot of data traffic going on, but I'm not sure. I'm using LAN cable, not Wifi.

When it happens, I can't use the internet anymore and I get that yellow "!" symbol on the network icon on the taskbar.

It doesn't work when I try to fix it automatically by right-clicking on it and a red "x" will appear instead.

I have to restart the PC to make the internet work again.

It never happened before I had Windows 10 installed.

The driver of the network card seems to be already updated to the latest version.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RadioGrind

RadioGrind

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi! Unfortunately, I am unable to help but am having the same issue. Hoping for a fix! Thanks for posting this question

#3 LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

I'm also having this issue. Has anyone managed to fix this problem yet?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

No guarantees here.....give this a run....It will do no harm.

Try re enabling your connection  with this :

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR.....
Download  Click Me
then...Right click on winsockfix.bat    and then click on Run As Administrator

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

The winsockfix.bat seems to have fixed the problem. No lost of internet so far, but I will still keep an eye on this.

What about you RadioGrind & LiquidFrost? Did it work?

It appears that the internet lost occurred after running an online game that I often play.

#6 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Uhh no, it didn't work. I just got disconnected again...

I do however have 2 LAN ports, one additional card and one that includes with the motherboard.

After losing the connection, I re-plugged the cable from the card to the port on the motherboard. And the internet came up again.

I'll have a look if the disconnections will still appear. Perhaps there is some kind of software interfere between the two ports?

#7 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Ok, now I got disconnected with the 2nd LAN port as well.

Replugging the cable didn't work anymore so I had to restart the PC again.

Any other ideas?

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

network adapter repair.....

again this may not help......I am seriously grasping at a straw......but it should also do no harm

Please set a restore point before continuing, or have a good backup in place

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 RadioGrind

RadioGrind

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

hey! sorry about the delay in answering. great thoughts but didn't work for me either. still the same issue...as soon as a lot of info begins move, my connection drops. thank you for the ideas! still hoping for a fix.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

Windows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.

Download the portable version of http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip;
    Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
    Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
    From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
    Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
    Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
        Reset Registry Permissions;
        Reset File Permissions;

Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
    Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
    If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
    Once the repair is complete, it will ask you to restart your computer, please do so.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

Okay, I tried the NetAdapter repair thing. I ran "Advanced Repair".

Should I also select all the other additional tools and run these as well?

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

we posted at the same time.....go up a post...Windows repair All In One.....

Edited by Condobloke, 07 August 2015 - 07:01 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

I can't find "Repair Winsock & DNS Cache" in the list:

6nt6y1.jpg

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

oops...i was working off the 'old' version..win 10 has prompted a new version....

# 15

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 Dotch

Dotch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

I did the Windows repair thing as how you described it. Unfortunately, I still get disconnections.

:killcomp:

I noticed however, that when I lose connection with the internet, I can still access the router settings by using my browser.

Can the problem be router related then? But why will it only be fixed after restarting my PC? I don't have to reset or restart the router itself. And why did it start to happen after installing Win10.

I did a full reset for all settings on the router earlier though, didn't work.

Question to the other followers, at which moment do you get disconnections? I'm very suspicious about "World of Warcraft", or is it not related to that?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Dotch, 07 August 2015 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users