Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsupported version for Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

I have Windows 8.1 Pro that I paid for and installed from a physical cd - that I bought - with money. After running a Microsoft troubleshooter, "Unsupported version The Get Windows 10 App is not available for this version of Windows".

Does this mean I can't get Windows 10 on this?

I already installed it on one of my machines. Seven hours to download, install updates, download, install Windows 10.

Finally got some updates for this machine. Hopefully this will do it.

Edited by RbtCmpt, 31 July 2015 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi RbtCmpt :)

Is your Windows 8.1 fully updated or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hi RbtCmpt :)

Is your Windows 8.1 fully updated or not?

Does it have to updated first? I screwed up yesterday and went to install W10 and it asked if I wanted upgrade or or fresh install and chose fresh. It wouldn't take my W7pro product key so I chose to skip. It installed okay but then started asking for the key after. After some Googling I read that I should have chosen upgrade, DOH.

So I reinstalled W7pro, did not update it or install any drivers, just activated it. (My install already had SP1 though) Then went straight to upgrading to W10 and it worked so I am not sure if you need the updates, but I thought you did.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

It depends on your update method. If you go via the Media Creation Tool, you don't need to update, if you go via the "Get Windows 10" app, you need to since it's delivered via an update.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

Well that would explain it! Thanks.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#7 sackhatri

sackhatri

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

I have windows 8.1 pro. I upgraded from windows 8 pro. All the updates are installed. But, the get windows 10 troubleshooter says that it is an unsupported version. I bought windows 8 pro upgrade version when it was launched 3 years ago. My windows 8.1 pro is also activated. Still, I am not getting this error. Please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users