Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Use Recovery from Disc/No Restore Points/Mouse Keyboard in Safe Mode Only

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 bpitch27

bpitch27

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hi!  All sorts of issues and I started posting in Malware Forum and was referred here by Myrti,

Here is the thread:

No Mouse or Keyboard in WIn 7/Only In Safe Mode

I was updating my MB MS IZ87with MSI Live UPdate 6.  It loaded the BIOS properly, but after it updated Intel USB 3.0 driver 3.05.69, keyboard and mouse will not work in Win 7 only in safe modes. Inb safe mode, I now no longer have System Restore points visible or the tab for System Recovery under System Properties.  I am unable to scan with Avast and have a message that Windows Security Center Service cannot be started.  I ran current version of Malwarebytes and it did not pick up any problems.  I have Winpatrol and it does not show anything either.

When I use F8 the computer does not give me System Recovery options.  My Win 7 disc when I try to use Sytem Reovery gives me an error saying its thge wrong version (its not)

This is a highlight of the last 8 hours chatting with Myrti on the other thread.  She suggested I come to this forum for help...

I am hopeful that one of you can walk me through what I need to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Look at the back of your motherboard. According to the specs you have 4 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. The USB 3 ports are marked blue while the USB 2 ports black. If  you keyboard and mouse are in the blue ports move them to the black USB 2 ports.

If that works, go to device manager and look for your USB 3 controller. Right click it and select Properties. Under the Driver tab select Roll back Driver.

600.png

#3 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Hi John!  Thanks for coming to help!

Keyboard and mouse are in the black ports.  Cannot access roll back drivers as it is grayed out (see pic)

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

In your first post you said it updated to an Intel USB 3 driver while the image you posted shows a Renesas controller that is still dated 2012. That is why you cannot roll it back as it was never updated. Were the mouse and keyboard moved to the USB 2 ports or were they always there. If not, then try the blue USB 3 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Do those work in normal mode?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#5 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

John sorry for the confusion.  In the other thread, I was asked to delete the drivers and reboot.  Those are the drivers I have now.  It doesnt matter what ports I plug into the mouse and keyboard on work in safe modes.  And, when I reboot into safe mode, sometimes the mouse works and sometimes it doesn;t until I pull it and replug it,  Sometimes blue sometimes black  The mouse works fine in my GFs Win 8 computer so it is not the mouse.

#6 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

That should say the mouse and keyboard only work in safe modes.

Plus I cannot access any System Recovery tools, AVAST will not work, etc....

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

About the only thing I can recommend is to go through the steps listed here. If you go to the the folder C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack what is the date listed for the registry hives? Is it before the problem occured?

#8 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

I dont even see registry hives???

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Those are the registry hives. Default, SAM, Security, Software, and System. They are dated 7/13/2015. Was your driver update after this date?

One thing you can try before you do the steps listed in the link, Press F8 at boot and under the Advanced Boot Options is Use Last Known Good Configuration. 

If Last Known Configuration and the steps shown do not work then we can copy the hives from Regback into Windows/System32/config and hopefully bring the ports back. This would have to be offline using a live linux disk like Puppy which is not as difficult as it seems.

#10 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

F8 will not let me go to Advance Boot Options...it goes directly to Safe Mode options and Start Windows normally.  Thats one of the many issues Ive been encountering including not be able to use Windows Recovery from the Win 7 disc or from a recovery disc I made earlier with Myrti.

I am more than willing to try live linux disk if you can walk me through it.  I tried the link you gave me before but I am concerned about the last step,  I tried all the others and even Intel drvier update program failed to install (se attached log)

Attached Files

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

Okay, Thinking about this, I would Download Puppy TahrPup. tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

You can burn the disk to a CD using Windows 7 by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Boot the disk. In the lower left of the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives labeled sda..sdb...depending on how many drives are in the computer. sda will be labeled sda1...sda2 depending on how many partitions are on the disk. I believe that sda2 would be your Windows partition. Click once on sda2. A file manager window will appear showing your files. If you do not see a Windows folder then close the file manager window and click on another sdaX icon. 

When you are in the Windows partition you only need to click once on a folder to open it. Click Windows > System32 > config. In that folder will be 5 registry hives

SAM

Security

Software 

System

Right click each and rename them to 

Default.bak

SAM.bak

Security.bak

Software.bak

System.bak

The File Manger is different in Puppy so you will need to click on your Windows sdX partition icon again to open another File Manger Window. Browse to Windows > System32 > config > Regback.  Ctrl + left click the 5 registry hives 

SAM

Security

Software

System

Drag these Highlighted files to the other File Manager Window that is Windows > System32 >config. A small dialog box will open asking if you want to copy or move, select Copy. After the files are copied, exit out of Puppy. It will ask you if you want to save, say no. Reboot and hope Windows 7 is back to normal.

#12 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

I can give it a try BUT when you say boot the disk, please tell exactly how I should do that?  Remember, I cannot get my computer to use my Windows Recovery disc. I was told to try to go to BIOS to try to get the computer to boot from the Windows Recovery Disk, and was unsuccessful.  How exaclty do you want me to "boot" this Puppy disc after I create it?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

Can you confirm something first. In Safe Mode, type CMD in the search box. Right Click Run As Administrator. At the prompt type

Diskpart

list disk

Is there a * under GPT in the listing?

I looked at the specs again and you have UEFI. Tap F12 at boot. Does it give an option to boot from the Optical drive? It may give an option called Legacy Boot. That is the one you want to boot your Windows 7 System Repair Disk. I am going to have to take a look at your MB manual.

Edit: If this is your MB then tap F11 at boot for the boot menu. Look at page 3-14. Select UEFI + Legacy. Puppy should boot with this setting enabled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#14 bpitch27

bpitch27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

Yes there is

Attached Files

#15 bpitch27

bpitch27