Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing parts for a basic computer(GUIDE)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

This guide is for people who want to build a basic computer just for surfing the web, listening to music, watching videos, and simple word-processing tasks. This type of build should cost no more than $450. Here’s what I would recommend for this type of computer:

NOTE:

Although they are cheaper, NEVER buy OEM parts because they do not come with everything and are untested. For example, an OEM CPU would come with the CPU only. No fan, nothing else.

CPU:

If you want to build a computer around the Intel platform, I would get a Celeron, Pentium, or a Core 2 Duo (although Core 2 Duos are coming off the market). If you would like a little more power, try a low-end i3. These processors are low in price yet offer pretty good performance.

Maybe you want to build around the AMD platform. Then I would get either a Sempron or a low to mid-range Athlon processor. These are adequate.

Motherboard:

A motherboard that is under $60 will work. Just make sure that its socket number matches the one of your CPU or it won’t fit in the socket. AMD CPUs never share socket numbers with Intels. If you are unsure that your CPU has the same socket as the motherboard you chose, you can verify that they do on the website PCPartPicker. Just a suggestion, MSI makes good Intel-based motherboards. One last note: Be sure to pick a motherboard that is of the MicroATX, Mini ITX, or any small size.  ATX will not fit in a small case.

RAM:

Before choosing RAM, make sure that your motherboard supports DDR3 (DDR2 is becoming obsolete) that is rated from at least 1066 to 1600 MHz. Choose either 2 or 4 GB of RAM (preferably using 1 slot to make room for future upgrades) and you are good to go. Another suggestion, RAM made by Kingston is low-priced, high-performance , and reliable too.

PSU:

No matter how little power your build will use, you need at least a 250W PSU. Also, avoid the PSUs that come with cases and vice versa because they are non-reliable. Period.

Hard Drive:

If you are on a budget, I would get a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive up to 500 GB. 500 GB is a lot of space and if you are one of a lot of people, you will never use it all up. If you are willing to spend a bit more, get an SSD of 250 GB or 500 GB. They are more expensive but much, much faster than standard hard drives.

Video Card:

Most CPUs and motherboards nowadays come with built in graphics, so there is no need to spend money on a graphics card. If neither your CPU nor motherboard has built-in graphics, you don’t need a graphics card with more than 256 MB of memory.

Case:

If you followed the instructions for choosing a motherboard above, you should get either a MicroATX or MiniITX case, depending on your motherboard. You can get mini tower or midtower.

Final Note: If you want to be sure that all your parts that you chose will work together, assemble a virtual build on PCPartPicker.com.

To save money, you could go with Ubuntu. It is free and comes with many apps to install and use. It even comes with its own office suite!

Here’s a sample build that used these parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v7hzrH

I hope this guide helped you! :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

This guide is for people who want to build a basic computer just for surfing the web, listening to music, watching videos, and simple word-processing tasks. This type of build should cost no more than $450. Here’s what I would recommend for this type of computer:

Just get a prebuilt desktop from BestBuy or a get cheap i3 laptop with 4GB/8GB RAM and then hook it up to monitor done, no need to build one because some of us here don't even build a PC before in their life. 

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

For the people who want to build one...

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

This is a great thread with some very good information. Thank you for putting this together. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

You're welcome!

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

There are other great linux distros. A great way to look for inux distros is distrowatch.com . Additionally, a modular psu will cost more money, but your cable management will be made significantly easier. I would recommend at least two fans, one in front and one in back to have a front to back airflow.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

There are other great linux distros. A great way to look for inux distros is distrowatch.com . Additionally, a modular psu will cost more money, but your cable management will be made significantly easier. I would recommend at least two fans, one in front and one in back to have a front to back airflow.

Some cases, though, have fans already installed in them.

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Maybe this should be stickied?

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Maybe this should be stickied?

^^ Also, this should prevent some new topics from being created.

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

You know what can be the hardest part of building a computer

Connecting the Power/Reset HDD LED ATX Connectors to the motherboard --- stupid tiny little connectors

OH and the computer cases that are small form factor and dont have the removable 3.5in bays --- they all need to die in a fire.

I Love Lamp!

#11 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

You know what can be the hardest part of building a computer

Connecting the Power/Reset HDD LED ATX Connectors to the motherboard --- stupid tiny little connectors

OH and the computer cases that are small form factor and dont have the removable 3.5in bays --- they all need to die in a fire.

I can agree with you that was actually one of the most difficult and annoying parts of assembling my PC. And it's only the smallest, pizza box factor cases that don't have 3.5in bays.  :hysterical:

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

I wouldn't say NEVER buy oem 

Even for someone new some oem parts are fine even for new people.

oem hard drives are fine to purchase and optical drives.

CPU don't buy oem unless you are experienced.

Motherboards - wouldn't buy oem ever, just cause I like have the acc's in the box.

I Love Lamp!

#13 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

I wouldn't say NEVER buy oem 

Even for someone new some oem parts are fine even for new people.

oem hard drives are fine to purchase and optical drives.

CPU don't buy oem unless you are experienced.

Motherboards - wouldn't buy oem ever, just cause I like have the acc's in the box.

I would only buy an OS OEM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

I would not have an issue buying an OEM optical drive. The retail optical drives have extra packaging and burning software I would not need. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

Likewise HDD's.  I normally buy them OEM and they come in an anti static bag with no accessories, which for me is fine.  Less waste.  Normally motherboard manufacturers bundle things like SATA cables in the box.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users