Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PercyControl

PercyControl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

My screen will go black then when it comes back either my background wallpaper will be gone or the resolution has been changed.  If I leave the PC and come back a few hours later a lot of the time the resolution will be set very very low. When I watch the resource monitor window I'll notice my Disk graph going out of control with spikes.  I don't know if I have something installed on my computer that's causing all of this.

Things I've tried:

updated everything on windows ran Malware B which found 100 different issues.  
updated all important updates on Win 7
Nvidia control panel 3d settings changed Set PhysX config to GPU instead of auto-select

Also I cannot change my wallpaper image

GPU:GeForce GTX 460  Driver 353.62

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6700 @2.66GHz

Memory 4.00 GB RAM (3/50 GB usable)

Running a dual monitor setup

If someone could help me out with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

I think your GPU may be getting unstable. Try adding more voltage in MSI Afterburner or downclocking it.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 PercyControl

PercyControl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Ok I set it to 1k volt.  It says 405 MHz/1900Mhz on the left  and in the middle where I can adjust it says Core Clock 763Mhz 1900Mhz Memory Clock.  I haven't changed any of that yet.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

I would simply have uninstalled the display drivers...then reinstalled same.  Graphics drivers could be damaged.

I've seen  this message before and don't believe it indicative of a major problem and would not fool with the motherboard settings.

Louis

#5 PercyControl

PercyControl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

I will do that right now Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

If the driver was uninstalled and another was installed after restarting the computer the driver would be a native Windows driver.  I would suggest going to the GeForce website and downloading the driver from there.

If the problems persist boot into Safe Mode with networking (this will allow you to go online) and see if the problem persists there.  If it doesn't, then your problem is with the driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 PercyControl

PercyControl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Yes I uninstalled the GeForce Driver and windows auto installed an older version Release date 2/10/2015 Version 347.52 GeForce Game Ready Driver.  Everything seems to be running ok at the moment.  I'm afraid to install the latest driver with everything going smoothly at the moment.  Should I even install the latest driver?  

Edited by PercyControl, 31 July 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#8 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

I would simply have uninstalled the display drivers...then reinstalled same.  Graphics drivers could be damaged.

I've seen  this message before and don't believe it indicative of a major problem and would not fool with the motherboard settings.

Louis

This message normally happens when a GPU is not stable or clocked too high. It can be drivers, but I would have thought he would have done that first. Also, MSI Afterburner is not BIOS settings.

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 31 July 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Louis

This message normally happens when a GPU is not stable or clocked too high. It can be drivers, but I would have thought he would have done that first. Also, MSI Afterburner is not BIOS settings.

PercyControl posted that they reinstalled the older driver and that the computer is now operating properly.  Obviously this is not related to the GPU itself, but its driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yes I uninstalled the GeForce Driver and windows auto installed an older version Release date 2/10/2015 Version 347.52 GeForce Game Ready Driver.  Everything seems to be running ok at the moment.  I'm afraid to install the latest driver with everything going smoothly at the moment.  Should I even install the latest driver?  

In answer to your question... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :grinner:

#11 PercyControl

PercyControl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Welp it just happened again.  I had a few things running and i went to check the date in the task bar.  Black screen and resolution went small again. So I guess I'll install the latest driver and put the voltage to 1k.  It was running smoothly for awhile then poof. Also I still wasn't able to change my wallpaper just a black screen.

Edit: Just noticed that only 1 screens resolution went smaller and the other 1 is fine.  Would it hurt to try different outputs on my GPU?  I think i have 2 DVI and 1 mini HDMI.

Edited by PercyControl, 01 August 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#12 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Louis

PercyControl posted that they reinstalled the older driver and that the computer is now operating properly.  Obviously this is not related to the GPU itself, but its driver.

I know what I know. Being an almost professional bencher/overclocker, I know instability and stability. 

And yeah Percy, sounds good.

#13 PercyControl

PercyControl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Still acting up sigh... "NVIDIA Windows Kernel mode driver Version 353.62 stopped responding and has recovered"

#14 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

In that case, the GPU sounds like its had enough.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

Let's try something suggested earlier.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking to see if the problem persists there.

Safe Mode uses a limited number of applications and drivers.  The graphics driver used there is a native Windows graphics driver, not the graphics driver from GeForce.  The resolution will be poor, but if this problem is driver related it should work.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode your problem is with the driver.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users