Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer infected with virus need help to remove!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cmorse

cmorse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Problem: My computer first began showing signs of either malware or a virus whenever I would click on a desired link, it would open into a new internet tab (like normal) and tell me that there was an error. This happened not too often but enough to get annoying. That began a few months ago. About 2 weeks ago the internet started popping up new web pages (ones saying my computer is at risk, ones for advertisements, and sometimes a random page) out of the blue whenever I tried to navigate to my websites. It started off slow but now its all the time. I'm forced to constantly close a webpage that appears whenever I click a link (never takes me to the actual link website), open a new internet page/tab, and lately it began taking me to pages that said my computer is at risk and I have to click the closed button on a dialogue box that will keep popping up. Also a large blue page will suddenly appear and say nonsense about an error, my computer is infected, etc. Apparently it was so bad that my internet provider Cox Cable sent me an email to inform me that they sensed through the wireless network that one of my devices was potentially infected. They sent me links to download their computer protection programs and also links to programs that might help if I was infected. I did call them to make sure they were the ones sending me the email, they confirmed it was from them!

What I've done so far: I still had programs on my computer from the last time this happened--about 2 years ago. And I still had the instructions given to me by a tech from this website, so I repeated what I had done 2 years ago (honestly, the only program I remember at the moment was tddskiller or something like that). It seemed to slow the pop ups and dialogue boxes down, but that was a week ago and now its back with full force! The next effort I did was uninstall my useless virus protection from McAfee and reload a stronger McAfee protection onto my computer that Cox provided me. Next I Cox advised me to download a tool called Norton power eraser. It took me a few days to get my computer to actually download it (it refused to either download or open the program to download) but 2 days ago I was successful in downloading and using the tool. It found a few threats and so did the new McAfee protection, both programs quarantined the potential risks and threats and removed them. I thought that would be it! Unfortunately, what I did only slowed it down. The errors and pop up pages don't happen as often but still too often and enough that I'm concerned.

I hope I was detailed enough in my explanation to give you a clue as to whats going on with this computer. Any help offered is and will be appreciated!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Sorry, it seems that my computer wont allow me to edit my post.

I forgot to ad that along with all the other problems going on, my computer has seen fit to start capitalizing, underlining, and creating links on random words through every page on the internet!

I've run several scans in the past few days from both McAfee and Norton and both scans show nothing!

#3 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

Sounds like some sort of adware, not a virus, got installed. I suggest you to scan with Bitdefender Adware Remover and then once you find the name of the program, delete it with IOBit uninstaller, which does a better job than control panel or any one it includes.

Bitdefender; http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/adware-removal-tool-for-pc.html

IObit; http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#4 ArazelEternal

ArazelEternal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Id look into using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well.  Ive used that to remove malware from some pretty heavily infected computers with a high degree of success.  My anti-virus of choice is Comodo Internet Security.  If your McAfee doesnt seem to be doing much, give the one I just mentioned a try.  Its entirely free and works very well plus includes extra tools like Comodo Killswitch (a modified version of Process Explorer with a handful of extra features that make it really nice for identifying rogue processes) and Comodo Autorun Analyzer (a modified version of Autoruns that again has extra features).  

#5 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

So I did what you suggested and ran the Bitdefender Adware removal tool. The scan turned up nothing, no files found, etc.

#6 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Ive used malwarebytes on my computer to try and solve the problem but it didnt help either.

Im also having trouble replying to these messages, I have to refresh several times and then use the reply tool at the top of the page instead! This is how it's been for me on the internet since the whole mess started!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Please run these

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista/Windows7, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database, please wait a bit.
  • Click on I agree button.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) will open in Notepad for review (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

Ran the RKILL by Grinler as instructed. Scanned using AdwCleaner.

***Did you want me to paste the log from the RKILL tool as well?

Log results:

# AdwCleaner v4.208 - Logfile created 31/07/2015 at 12:00:06
# Updated 09/07/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-07-26.2 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 7arrow-10x10.png Home Premium Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Username : cmorse - CMORSE-HP
# Running from : C:\Users\cmorse Downloadsarrow-10x10.png\AdwCleaner (1).exe
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage
File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage
File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage-journal
File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage-journal
File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_static.pricepeep00.pricepeep.net_0.localstorage
File Found : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_static.pricepeep00.pricepeep.net_0.localstorage-journal
Folder Found : C:\Program Files (x86)\CutThePrIIcce
Folder Found : C:\ProgramData\{66449ede-40d5-5354-6644-49ede40d7b79}
Folder Found : C:\ProgramData\{7d2ab3fe-41ba-4e9e-7d2a-ab3fe41bcff9}
Folder Found : C:\ProgramData\{bc0479a7-417b-814e-bc04-479a7417e69d}

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKCU Softwarearrow-10x10.png\Appscion
Key Found : HKCU Softwarearrow-10x10.png\Softonic
Key Found : [x64] HKCU\Software\Appscion
Key Found : [x64] HKCU\Software\Softonic
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{9CB2CD61-FFA0-406C-9D2D-8FDE6F4A4D8A}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1AA60054-57D9-4F99-9A55-D0FBFBE7ECD3}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{829DD016-D322-481B-8BA3-10064B09EAC4}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4820778D-AB0D-6D18-C316-52A6A0E1D507}
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AD11DADE-C597-45D9-D8C5-1D2EB0B89613}

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorerarrow-10x10.png v11.0.9600.17909

-\\ Google Chromearrow-10x10.png v44.0.2403.125

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [3660 bytes] - [06/10/2014 05:04:16]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [2594 bytes] - [31/07/2015 11:52:00]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [2452 bytes] - [31/07/2015 12:00:06]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [3608 bytes] - [06/10/2014 05:06:34]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [2570 bytes] ##########

Edited by cmorse, 31 July 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#9 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

---This is the report from Rkill tool!

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
   "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.
   Startup Type set to: Manual

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: 

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File: 

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 07/31/2015 11:51:02 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 32 seconds(s)

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

OK thanks. remove what ADW found

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database, please wait a bit.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
How is it?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The weekends are family time!!!

Here's the results you asked for:

# AdwCleaner v4.208 - Logfile created 03/08/2015 at 08:12:29
# Updated 09/07/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-08-01.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Username : cmorse - CMORSE-HP
# Running from : C:\Users\cmorse\Downloads\AdwCleaner (2).exe
# Option : Cleaning

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\{66449ede-40d5-5354-6644-49ede40d7b79}
Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\{7d2ab3fe-41ba-4e9e-7d2a-ab3fe41bcff9}
Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\{bc0479a7-417b-814e-bc04-479a7417e69d}
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\CutThePrIIcce
File Deleted : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage
File Deleted : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage-journal
File Deleted : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_static.pricepeep00.pricepeep.net_0.localstorage
File Deleted : C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_static.pricepeep00.pricepeep.net_0.localstorage-journal

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{9CB2CD61-FFA0-406C-9D2D-8FDE6F4A4D8A}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1AA60054-57D9-4F99-9A55-D0FBFBE7ECD3}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{829DD016-D322-481B-8BA3-10064B09EAC4}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Softonic
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Appscion
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4820778D-AB0D-6D18-C316-52A6A0E1D507}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AD11DADE-C597-45D9-D8C5-1D2EB0B89613}

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17909

-\\ Google Chrome v44.0.2403.125

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [3660 bytes] - [06/10/2014 05:04:16]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [2594 bytes] - [31/07/2015 11:52:00]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [2657 bytes] - [31/07/2015 12:00:06]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [2716 bytes] - [03/08/2015 08:12:04]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [3608 bytes] - [06/10/2014 05:06:34]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2313 bytes] - [03/08/2015 08:12:29]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2372  bytes] ##########

#12 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

Just wanted to add an extra note on top of the cleaning results. Even after the cleaning and restarting of my system my computer is, upon clicking a link/button/desired location, is still reverting to random websites/pages. One pops up more than others and it's some chat page. I have to click the close button on a small dialogue box that pops up on that page and after it closes the page is a chat page for some computer tech, I guess, claiming to want to help me with my computer! I've never responded to it but that's what popped up after the computer restarted and I proceeded to reopen bleepingcomputer website. Also whenever I hover over a link in bleeping website theres a small box that appears and it's normally an ad or something. it pops up now whenever I hover over a previous comment that contains a link.

#13 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

What just popped up after posting that last comment was something with the heading:

Windows Firewall Warning

Check your computer now for potential issue!

Your IP address: _______(has an IP address not sure if its mine or not)

conflicted

Important Information:

Call 18552860309 Immediately

for assistance on how to remove potential viruses

The call is free

More about the virus:

viruses installed on your computer put the securtiy of your personal data at a serious risk. It's strongly advised that you call the number above and get your computer fixed before you continue using your internet, especially for shopping.

Possible network damages from potential viruses:

Unknown

Data exposed to this risk:

1. your credit card details and banking information

2. your email passwords and other account passwords

3. your facebook, skype, AIM, ICQ, and other chat logs

4. your private photos, family photos and other sensitive files

5. your wencam could be accessed remotely by stalkers with a VPN virus.

This is the message and page that pops up the most whenever it redirects my attempts to do anything on the computer. Even after I cleaned through the adwcleaner tool.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

Still infected
Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista/Windows7, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
>>>

51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.exe to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the installation. You can find the complete installation procedure here.
  • Click the Scan Now button, a threat scan will start automatically.
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will now check for the latest updates. Click Update Now if new updates are available.
  • Your computer is now being scanned, please do not use your computer during the scan.
    • If no threats were found, click View detailed log.
      • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
    • If the scan detected any threats, click Apply Actions.
      • To complete any actions taken you will be prompted to restart your computer...click on Yes.
      • After reboot, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and click the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
      • Check the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan and click View.
      • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
  • Providing the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log file
    • Attach the log file you just saved to your next reply for further review.

#15 cmorse

cmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 8/4/2015
Scan Time: 11:15 AM
Logfile: scan results 8-4-2015.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.1.8.1057
Malware Database: v2015.08.04.04
Rootkit Database: v2015.08.04.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: cmorse

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 346575
Time Elapsed: 11 min, 22 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 1
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 

Files: 11
PUP.Optional.ServiceRNDM.A, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\1.exe, Quarantined, [6f6531d3018af244ede1c700867b09f7], 
PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A, C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\https_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage, Delete-on-Reboot, [d10331d30f7c57df533c96b50ff42fd1], 
PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A, C:\Users\cmorse\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\https_inst.shoppingate.info_0.localstorage-journal, Delete-on-Reboot, [fcd8c93b91fa2d096c23f65561a219e7], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\259c0d36ed89e7550dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\4f7adf1af84e5d4b0dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\50c09534acabd3bf0dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\678e08b31a648ac20dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\67c1f82c24ad7c210dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\846c135bee5e1ef70dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\a04792968e40e51c0dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 
PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.Gen, C:\ProgramData\11880628831420210511\b4e0de02588369d60dd9cbd58eefb73e.ini, Quarantined, [fed6e4203259eb4b9b51c2e7a36116ea], 

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users