Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notthebomba - Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 notthebomba

notthebomba

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

I am following instructions for my BSOD.

Thanks,

Notthebomba

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Do you still need help with this problem?

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

OK, I think I figured out how to attach the files.

Sorry,

Roger

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

Go into Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and uninstall the ISATAP and TEREDO devices that have problems (do this by right clicking on them and selecting "Uninstall")

Reboot and then check to make sure that they did not come back.

There is also a problem with a USB device by Atheros (likely a bluetooth device).  Please update the drivers for this immediately.

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

No error reports in the WER section of MSINFO32

If cleaning the system with CCleaner or another similar utility - please stop while we're troubleshooting.

Does the system BSOD at any particular time?

Have you installed anything recently that could have caused this?

Once you've stopped the CCleaner or other tool, reboot and let the system crash.
Then generate another set of the SysnativeFileCollectionApp reports (we won't need the perfmon report)

Edited by usasma, 05 August 2015 - 09:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

usasma:

I uninstalled ISATAP and TEREDO, rebooted, and they did not come back.

There is a yellow exclamation point (!) in: Other Devices/Unknown device.
Not sure if this is the Atheros that you speak of.
I did add a bluetooth dongle a few months ago and that was when the BSOD started.
I uninstalled it through Auslogics Boost Speed program.

Typically the BSOD happens once a day when I leave the computer  (desktop) on and unattended.
Thanks,
Notthebomba

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:38 AM

I'd suggest leaving the dongle disconnected (and make sure that any software you installed with it has been removed)

Then wait and see if the BSOD problem continues.

If it does, please zip up and upload the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload it with your next post.

If you have difficulties zipping it, try copying it to your Desktop and zipping it there.

Good luck!

#7 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

Well, knock wood - so far, so good.

Not sure where I picked up ISATAP and TEREDO, but the 'puter has been stable ever since.

Thanks a bunch!

Roger

PS: My hard drive is starting to make sounds like a bad bearing - is there a utility to check its health?

#8 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

It lasted about 48 hours then crashed.

Not BSOD, but a black screen with the following message:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key_

The cursor at the end blinks.

If I type any key, the message appears again.

I turned off the computer and on again and it opened in Windows Error Recovery Mode prompting me to select among several options including safe mode and normal.

Is this the same issue or something different?

Thanks,

Roger

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

Could be the hard drive.

The error message is the system saying that it can't find the boot device (your hard drive).

Try the bootable hard drive tests here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If uncertain, try the Seagate Seatools test first.

Let us know the results.

#10 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

Let me first explain my Desktop set up:

I have a 128GB SSD where I loaded Win7 Home Premium 64bit which is designated C: (Corsair Force 3)

I have a 1TB Samsung HDD where I load all of my non Windows Program Files (Evernote, iTunes, Malwarebytes, etc.) which is designated E:

I downloaded Seagate Seatools, burned to CD and rebooted.

Seagate SeaTools results:

Select Drive Information
No Hard Drives Found
If you believe this to be incorrect, check cables, power, etc and try again

Test Information and Results
Scanning for controllers...
Scanning for devices...
Scanning for devices on generic PCI ATA...
Detected 0 devices
Device Scan complete

When I tried to look at the logs: DIR *.log it found nothing.

I did download and run HD Tune 2.55 and ran a quick scan on my HDD (E Drive) and it found no damaged blocks.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Run Seagate Seatools for Windows just to be sure.

The try the rest of the diagnostics here;  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Has the system BSOD'd since that last report was uploaded?

If so, please upload a fresh copy of the reports.

#12 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

I think there is something more fundamental going on.
I'm beginning to think that I didn't set up my computer properly from the get go.

When I used to boot up the computer (before there were any problems), I would get a brief notice that "No Hard Drive was found"
It would pause briefly and continue on with the boot process and boot normally.

Now it boots so fast that I cant read each boot screen before it moves on to the next.
Is there a way to (temporarily) slow down the boot process so I can see it? Or record it for later analysis?

I have gone into the bios (ASUS EFI BIOS) and looked at the boot sequence, but this is a little over my head.

When I try to boot in safe mode (by continuously tapping F8) I get a very simple screen that says:

Please select boot device:
P5: Samsung HD103 SJ
P2: Corsair Force 3 SSD
AOSO ASUS DRW-24B3ST
Windows Boot Manager

The first choice is my HDD that I have designated E:
The second choice is my SSD that I have designated C: (And where I loaded Win 7 OS)
The third choice is my optical drive.

If I choose either of the first three, I get the following error:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key_

If I select Windows Boot Manager, it starts normally.

Can you direct me on the best path to proceed?
Thanks,
Roger

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

IME more systems have been fixed by the original posters than by all the helpers in the world.

I like to think that we provide hints/guesses/suggestions that help you to pinpoint the problem on your own.

There is no way to slow down the boot process (AFAIK).

You can record it - but there's different ways to do this, each yielding different amounts and kinds of information.

Recording the earlier stages of the boot (which is what you're looking at here), may not be possible as there's no operating system present to run the recording software.

Although I can probably read the logfiles, I'm not familiar with the processes to do this.  Maybe post over in the General forums, or search it on Google/Bing?

Here's a search that I just did:  https://www.google.com/search?q=boot+process+logging&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

As for the message that no hard drive was found - that's not a good thing, even if it fixes itself later on.

I'd suspect that it was looking for something that it couldn't find - and the boot mechanism went looking elsewhere for something to boot from.

In short, a system shouldn't normally do this.

In a system with UEFI, that just has one operating system (Windows), the Windows Boot Manager should be first.

The Windows Boot Manager knows where the files needed to boot the system are.

If the Windows Boot Manager is first, I'd place the DVD drive second (AOSO ASUS DRW-24B3ST) - this is just in case you have to boot from the DVD with a UEFI enabled disk.

Then leave the others alone - they're not needed as they can't be booted from, but are still needed to be in the system so you can use them.

#14 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

New BSOD this fine Sunday Morning!

What little I could capture before the screen went away was:

0x0000000F4 (0x0000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8008696B10

Reports attached

Then a screen popped up with the following:

American Megatrends
AMIBIOS
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO ACPI BIOS Revision 0501
CPU: Intel ® Core ™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Speed: 3400MHz

Total Memory: 8192MB (DDR3-1333)

USB Devices total: 0 Drive, 1 keyboard, 1 Mouse, 5 Hubs

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...
SATA Port2: Corsair Force 3 SSD
SATA Port5: SAMSUNG HD103SJ

Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system.
Click F1 to enter bios

I did and reset to factory defaults.

Attached Files

#15 notthebomba

notthebomba
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

Addendum

I was following a thread on my "reboot and select proper boot device" problem here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585611/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/

They refer to a Hirens BootCD program.
Are you familiar with it?
Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users