Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my GPU or monitor defective?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Valcorx

Valcorx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hi, I built a new PC like a week ago and My screen tears when watching videos or browsing but not when gaming because when I game, I turn Vsync on and it helps and screen tearing goes away. Now, I tried everything possible to fix this problem. Turning on Vsync from the nvidia control panel, changing cables, limiting the FPS from Rivatuner and everything you can imagine but I can't seem to fix screen tearing when watching videos or sometimes browsing or when scrolling Horizontally on some websites. As I mentioned, there is no screen tearing when gaming if i turn vsync on. Or atleast I can't see it at all but I'm pretty sure there isnt screen tearing when gaming. I have an MSI GTX 970 gpu and an 23" LG IPS  60hz monitor. Is the problem from the GPU or monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

I am leaning towards the monitor. IPS panels do not refresh as fast as TN panels do.  What is the model number for your monitor?  Can you increase the refresh rate above 60htz?

#3 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I built a new PC like a week ago and My screen tears when watching videos or browsing but not when gaming because when I game, I turn Vsync on and it helps and screen tearing goes away. Now, I tried everything possible to fix this problem. Turning on Vsync from the nvidia control panel, changing cables, limiting the FPS from Rivatuner and everything you can imagine but I can't seem to fix screen tearing when watching videos or sometimes browsing or when scrolling Horizontally on some websites. As I mentioned, there is no screen tearing when gaming if i turn vsync on. Or atleast I can't see it at all but I'm pretty sure there isnt screen tearing when gaming. I have an MSI GTX 970 gpu and an 23" LG IPS  60hz monitor. Is the problem from the GPU or monitor?

Do you have a secondary computer to test that monitor? If that monitor doesn't show screen tearing on your secondary computer, then that mean is the GPU. 

#4 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Do you have a secondary computer to test that monitor? If that monitor doesn't show screen tearing on your secondary computer, then that mean is the GPU. 

This right here.  Only way to know for sure is to connect another monitor.  Cheers.

#5 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

This right here.  Only way to know for sure is to connect another monitor.  Cheers.

I can try it on my TV but I have no other monitor and I don't have another PC either.

#6 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

TV will be fine, as long as you're using the same cables and ports.

#7 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

I am leaning towards the monitor. IPS panels do not refresh as fast as TN panels do.  What is the model number for your monitor?  Can you increase the refresh rate above 60htz?

It's an LG 23mp57 and no, I can't increase the refresh rate.

#8 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

TV will be fine, as long as you're using the same cables and ports.

Aha. I'm only using an HDMI cable. Thanks though, Ill check it out :).

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

Connecting it to your tv is not going to show you any screen tear... TV's don't refresh nearly as fast as high end video cards are capable of just FYI if you do see it I'd be surprised.  Heres an LG 24" IPS showing screen tear.  You can't really call it defective as that is just the way an IPS panel is.  I suggest a TN panel from BenQ like the one I got my son.  I see no tearing.

144hz at 1ms response... YUM

Edited by YeahBleeping, 31 July 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#10 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

Connecting it to your tv is not going to show you any screen tear... TV's don't refresh nearly as fast as high end video cards are capable of just FYI if you do see it I'd be surprised.  Heres an LG 24" IPS showing screen tear.  You can't really call it defective as that is just the way an IPS panel is.  I suggest a TN panel from BenQ like the one I got my son.  I see no tearing.

But I need to make sure that it is in fact from my monitor not GPU first.

#11 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Sometimes high end stuffs do get defective buddy, even a high end motherboard, GPU, power supplies, and RAM do get defective as well. Testing on the TV is a one step to eliminate if it his GPU problem, if it his GPU problem is should shows screen tearing on both monitor and TV. Also, TV refresh rate have nothing to do with a video card, you can runs a high end NVIDIA or AMD GPU on both TV and monitor as well. Refresh rate is just another word of capping how FPS can it display each second before screen tearing going to be appear. 

#12 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Sometimes high end stuffs do get defective buddy, even a high end motherboard, GPU, power supplies, and RAM do get defective as well. Testing on the TV is a one step to eliminate if it his GPU problem, if it his GPU problem is should shows screen tearing on both monitor and TV. Also, TV refresh rate have nothing to do with a video card, you can runs a high end NVIDIA or AMD GPU on both TV and monitor as well. Refresh rate is just another word of capping how FPS can it display each second before screen tearing going to be appear. 

So if there is no tearing on the TV then the problem is 100% from the monitor?

#13 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

That's correct. 

#14 Valcorx

Valcorx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

That's correct. 

This is a stupid question but, can't the problem be from both? Because I mentioned that there is no screen tearing when playing games.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Captain...

Screen tear in IPS monitors have been talked about a lot I am sure you can quick google this.  I am telling you for sure.  a TV's refresh rate CANNOT compete with high end video cards.  Look it up. Learn. Also FPS IS a product of a given refresh rate so I don't know where your getting your information but I'd wish you would learn something about it before you go speaking like you do...... buddy

A REAL test would be to .. try a ' better ' monitor on his CURRENT system.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 31 July 2015 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users