Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 nickel78

nickel78

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

I purchased Windows 10 pro the other day and still cannot get it installed.  Whenever i go through the process of installing, the computer reboots and attempts to boot to the windows 10 setup and then suddenly reboots.  The computer then boots back into windows 7 and the install stops.  I am trying to do a clean install.  When I boot directly from a usb drive, i get the constant reboot.  This is all while trying to install the 64 bit version.  When i try the 32 bit version, it takes me to the setup and option to install.  Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

This is the error I am getting so far with the x64 install no matter how I try to install it

Attached Files

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

Is your Windows 7, 32-bit?  Sounds like you're trying to install a 64-bit on a machine which can only accept 32-bit.  Without the machine's specs, it'a hard to know.  But the installer is telling you it can't do the 64-bit installation, and rolled back Windows to its pre-install state.  Someone else may be able to tell you more.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

It is definitely a 64 bit system.  Here are my specs

Gigabyte GA-B85M motherboard

Intel Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz

8GB DDR3 Memory

SanDisk 480GB SSD

EVGA Geforce 750ti video card

I have tested the flash drive on another pc and it booted properly to the setup.  I also created a dvd and got the same results

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:03 AM

Let me rephrase:  is the WinOS 64-bit?  For Windows will not install a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit OS.  Doesn't matter what your hardware is capable of running.  The new install mechanics are to install ATOP, and that means the same version is required.  Clean installs are not allowed until after upgrade, and upgrade requires the bit version be the same.

So:

Win10 32-bit HOME will only install if you have Win7/8 32-bit, non-Pro installed.

Win10 32-bit Pro will only install if you have 32-bit Win7 or 8 Pro, installed.

Win10 64-bit anything won't install, for the underlying Win must also be 64-bit and of compatible 'edition' (non-Pro=Home, and Pro or Ultimate=Pro in Win10).

Similarly, 32-bit won't install atop 64-bit, Home won't install atop Pro, Pro won't install atop Home.

Your only way around this is to get a retail version and then wipe your internal drive or install the retail to a separate partition.  Frankly, I've never known an in-place upgrade to work unless the underlying OS had no third party programs or updates upon itself.  For Win10, there are reports of such upgrades working -- and even better than in the past -- but it's still not normal.  Most computer tech guys will always recommend a clean install.

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 04:10 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

I understand what you are saying.  I have been in the IT field for about 15 years.  I have purchased a full retail copy of Windows 10 Professional because I figured i would go ahead and learn it for my clients.  I am trying to do a clean install.  I have also tried the upgrade from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 as well and when the computer restarts the first time, it gets stuck in a reboot loop and the install fails.  I have successfully installed it on a virtual machine inside of windows 7 pro but that is not my goal.  It has to be something with the hardware or settings in the bios.  I have tried swapping out the memory, taking out my video card, and stripping it down to just the basic components with the same results.  I have even used Acronis to wipe/clean the ssd as good as i could.

I just don't get why it will let me boot to the 32 bit and not the 64 bit setup.  I may try to install onto a non ssd and see if that makes a difference.

Any more suggestions?

#7 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

Ok.  The non ssd drive did the same thing.  

Thank you for helping me out on this!

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

What's different here, is that you purchased the Win10 license, so there shouldn't be any trouble at all.  You have the Win10 key.  You also have Windows 7, but you're not using it to justify your Win10.  So if you're booting from media, then is something wrong with the media?  Or, did you download what you purchased, so maybe something is wrong with the download?

But then I supposed you thought of that first, right?  Have you tried redownloading?

The other thought is about the underlying license.  Did you upgrade the Win7 OS?  Is the OS on the machine now, the original one?  Because the other most common error, is that the installer detects a conflict in the license, and won't tell you (assuming you're at fault, MSFT is paranoid).  So if the machine had originally been 32 bit but you or someone else upgraded it to 64, then the 32 bit will be accepted as that's the COA the installer finds.  But if later 64-bit, maybe the installer thinks that's a problem, so won't do 64-bit.  So it loops, trying to go back to the mother ship and get answers.

Finally, it might be just that:  momma ship for 64-bit has been real busy and keeps on being busy, so the installer keeps going in a loop.

I'm just guessing here.  Frankly, only the first paragraph makes sense.  It shouldn't matter what your Win7 license is, since you purchased the Win10 license.  Unless, what you downloaded was not for purchases, but only for upgrades.  IF you downloaded.  So again, what is the source of your Win10?  Media or download, and if the latter, from where did you get it?

Click here to see another possibility, since you're getting the SAME ERROR per your thumbnails.  In that link, the solution was to format the drive to GPT.  So now I'm really confused, for the implication is that the Windows 7 is GPT?  Is it?  Or is your Win10 but not the Win7?  I think both partitions have to be the same type of formatting for the sake of compatibility?

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#9 Eonzenex

Eonzenex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

I have the same problem, except I'm trying to install the free update and that each time it fails, i have to re-download the update again. I also do not have an error. It just does the initial reboot, and then boots to my current OS, Windows 8.1. When i check the windows update center, it says "Windows 10 failed to install".

#10 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

I purchased the downloadable media for the full retail version of Windows 10 Pro from newegg.  I have downloaded the media 3 separate times and have had the same results.   I have even created a bootable usb drive using the Windows 7 USB-DVD tool and have gotten the same results.  The same media that will not work on the computer I need to install windows on has worked on two separate laptops and a virtual machine within windows on the desktop that I need it installed on.

As far as the GPT partitioning goes, I haven't tried that.  I am not relying on Windows 7 at all since I am doing a clean install.  I have tried the install with 3 different drives and 2 different types of drives and have had them completely cleaned and unpartitioned and also partitioned.  

I will check on that link and see what i can find out there.  

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

The free update is a different situation.  If Windows fails to install, and you didn't get a specific error code, it probably means they can't find the license, or there's a problem with the license.  They won't tell you that's what it is, assuming you're operating illegally (callous of them, I know, but they are paranoid).  So get your Windows 7 key (usually at the bottom of your desktop somewhere on a sticker or in the battery compartment of your laptop, or search on 'Produkey' or use Belarc to find the key).  Then, call MSFT to troubleshoot.

If you did get a specific error code, Google on the code.  Error codes tend to be the same in all versions, but limit your google search to the past month, just in case.

I have the same problem, except I'm trying to install the free update and that each time it fails, i have to re-download the update again. I also do not have an error. It just does the initial reboot, and then boots to my current OS, Windows 8.1. When i check the windows update center, it says "Windows 10 failed to install".

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Okay, well from what I'm reading online about install problems, your Win7 is good for nothing: it only matters for those using the FREE Win10 install.  So keep your bootable Win7 for when you have trouble with Win7, but it's irrelevant to your Win10.

BECAUSE.. you have a separate Windows 10 key from newegg, right?  So maybe if the newegg keeps bombing, the problem might be -- the new egg KEY is not yet known to MSFT.  One of the problems I keep on reading in the news, is that the MSFT folks haven't logged in all the keys the resellers have purchased.

So then why not call MSFT yourself, see if they can't help you.  For what else is left, to do?  I had the same problem with Win8 as you do Win10, but if you have the key, the MSFT guy can remote to your machine and maybe fix it.  For he can see what you can't.

ONLY the Win10 key is requested in the clean install.  Win7 is not relevant.

I purchased the downloadable media for the full retail version of Windows 10 Pro from newegg.  I have downloaded the media 3 separate times and have had the same results.   I have even created a bootable usb drive using the Windows 7 USB-DVD tool and have gotten the same results.  The same media that will not work on the computer I need to install windows on has worked on two separate laptops and a virtual machine within windows on the desktop that I need it installed on.

As far as the GPT partitioning goes, I haven't tried that.  I am not relying on Windows 7 at all since I am doing a clean install.  I have tried the install with 3 different drives and 2 different types of drives and have had them completely cleaned and unpartitioned and also partitioned.  

I will check on that link and see what i can find out there.  

Edited by brainout, 02 August 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#13 nickel78

nickel78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:49 PM

ok. the GPT option did not work.  It has to be some kind of hardware/bios configuration problem.  I don't think it has anything to do with the key because it doesnt even get to the purple screen where you have to click on install.  Once it boots from the usb or cd, it goes to the light blue microsoft logo screen where the circle of white dots spin around and load the setup.  I dont even get to those white dots circling before it reboots.  Still, the craziest part of this is that only happens on the 64 bit version.  When I try the 32 bit version, I can get it to boot to the Install screen. I cannot come up with any logical reason why it would boot to a 32 bit install and restart every time on the 64 bit install......and i have successfully installed 64 bit Windows 7 on this machine a hundred times.

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, well the only remaining conclusion is that the 64-bit installer is corrupted.  Downloading again won't help, as the source is corrupted.  You wanted 64-bit, not 32.

Soooo unless you're so fed up you don't want to think about this anymore, do you want to try calling MSFT?  If not, then what about downloading that media tool which is not new-egg specific, but generic.  What if its 64-bit version, works?  That's a risk of wasting more time, though.

On the other hand, forgetting it looks real good right now.  Maybe call newegg in the morning...

#15 bloveds

bloveds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

I have an issue that is similar.   I have a laptop that had Windows 8.1 and I registered for Windows 10.   The OS is 64 bit.  When It said it was ready, it downloaded and then when complete, it told me to reboot.    It is going through a constant reboot cycle, never completing the install.   It installed the Home edition.   Whether it was 64 or 32 I do not know, as I cannot find which edition it downloaded.   

Any ideas?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users